STock Exhaust Modifications.

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
The cats are located in the front of the muffler where it starts to get larger. They run from the large round part back into the triangle part. It is the honeycome type cat.

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm interested it this for heat reason.

The heat if fine everywhere else, but my feet cook....and yes I wear nice thick boots.

Did it help the heat at your feet?

picked up a pair of mufflers and pipes cheap on ebay, own a v65 sabre and love the sound of it, will try the punch through mod myself here shortly. Was originally thinking of gutting the mufflers and packing them slightly with some high quality steel wool similar to the way glass packs used to be packed.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Hi, thanks for this post, it, in my opinion, is a very educating post.
To start do you really think it increases mpg? I believe taking out the cat. con. is the key element here. It is the first and the most constrict ant here.
I am thinking the back pressure is the factor of the low mpg. It is totally relevant to the last diameter of the exhaust exit, in this case those two little holes at the end of the each pipes.
I am thinking to drill very small holes not only to the inside of the both end holes to the pipe but also to the back part of the exhaust pipe where two holes are. So that will increase the end diameter of the exit. Thus reducing the back pressure.
I cant cut and weld the same section of the pipe to take out the cat. con. I need to find out a different way to fix the cat. con.
Since you take out the whole thing, can you please provide us a diagram about how the pipe is designed? I found one in the internet but it is not detail.....
I need to know how the gas travels, and what is the purpose of those little holes on the outer side of the exhaust walls?
I checked and find out that if you close the holes underneath the exhaust drain holes (the water drain holes) the sound of the muffler gets less louder.
Please, when ever you have time, the diagram will be appreciated.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I measured a 2006 model LEFT exhaust with the heat shield and it is 12.5 lb.
I measured by itself and than with my self to be more accurate. Both times it read 12.5 lb. I believe heat shield is no more than 0.2 lb so it can be left out.

Bike
'10 st 1300abs
Cool post, thks. Ive got a '10, about 40k on it, and am considering this mod. First and foremost hoping to cure the shim/ankle combustion issue. Doggone these bikes cook the legs, dont they? Have you noticed any improvement in this area? Less back pressure I would think would mean less heat retention. Any info on mileage, and fuel computer related problems from the mod? Ive still got a year of warrantee to go, but if the mod is a winner, will go ahead and gut the cans. Thks again!

Last edited:
Top Bottom