ST1300 Clutch Lever Installation

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS
I got me a new clutch lever for my '04 ST1300. I want to install it myself if I can. I was looking at the parts diagram and wondering how part # 3 is removed from the lever. Does part # 2 thread into it or what? When I take the worn out lever off are parts going to go flying out across the shop floor? If they do I'll never find them. Can someone walk me thru this.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I changed the lever on mine. It's as simple as it looks. There's a snap ring in the master cylinder that keeps the important stuff inside. Just undo the nut on the bottom of the clutch lever and pull the bolt out from the top. (4.3 ft/lb is the proper torque when reinstalling.) There's a little bushing that fits into the clutch lever that you may have to move from the old one to the new lever (I don't know if your replacement lever came with one.)

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
I changed the lever on mine. It's as simple as it looks. There's a snap ring in the master cylinder that keeps the important stuff inside. Just undo the nut on the bottom of the clutch lever and pull the bolt out from the top. (4.3 ft/lb is the proper torque when reinstalling.) There's a little bushing that fits into the clutch lever that you may have to move from the old one to the new lever (I don't know if your replacement lever came with one.)

:plus1: What he said

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
It isn't that hard. I didn't take a look at the part list but remove the nut on the bottom and remove the pivot bolt. Hold the lever as it is under a little spring pressure. Not enough to fly across the shop but there is some pressure. There is a brass bushing that is held in place by the pushrod. You will want to move the bushing over to the new lever unless you got a new one. Slide it all back together and you will be all done. There isn't much to it.

Byron

STOC #
I got me a new clutch lever for my '04 ST1300. I want to install it myself if I can. I was looking at the parts diagram and wondering how part # 3 is removed from the lever. Does part # 2 thread into it or what? When I take the worn out lever off are parts going to go flying out across the shop floor? If they do I'll never find them. Can someone walk me thru this.
Part #3 just slides into the hole in the lever, put a little lube on it during assembly. Part #2 just fits into a recessed hole in part #3, lube the end of Part #2 as well so it doesn't wear Part #3 as quickly.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Part #3 just slides into the hole in the lever, put a little lube on it during assembly. Part #2 just fits into a recessed hole in part #3, lube the end of Part #2 as well so it doesn't wear Part #3 as quickly.
VERY IMPORTANT: Lube that area with silicone grease only. Petroleum-based greases will ruin all of the seals and rubber parts.

--Mark

OP
OP
TwoBrittanys

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS
Thanks Fellers. BTW I got the ADJUSTABLE lever from the RR1000R Honda P/N 53180-MEJ-006. The bad news is that its about a half inch shorter than the stock lever. The good news is that its the same length as the front brake lever! The best news is thanks to you all it took about 2 minutes to install and a minute of that was finding my white lithium grease. You'll need a 10 mm wrench and a wide blade flat screwdriver. Dont forget to protect your tank! 2 Photos attached.

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom