08 ST1300 crankcase balancer adjustment

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I am going to check my balancer adjustment and wanted to check with people that have done it before. Are there any tips, tricks, things to watch out for?
I've attached the instructions that I found in the manual.

Thanks

Attachments

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
No tricks, follow instructions. I've done it maybe three times and never really noticed much change.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Put some penetrating oil on them the night before, and the morning that you do them.
Make sure the engine is dead cold.
Make sure you can turn the slotted portion back and forth easily before doing the adjustment.
It may help you to take a paint pencil or sharpie and mark a line to see better.
You should not have to worry about the third instructions, unless your bike has a lot of miles on it and is in poor condition.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Thank you guys....I'll check it in the next few days.....

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Sorry guys, but where are these adjustments ? I thought they were in the front of the bike but after I removed the front plastic , I didn't see them. I just had a quick look tonight ,could someone guide me to where to find them? Does the front engine cover have to be removed? ......thanks

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sorry guys, but where are these adjustments ? I thought they were in the front of the bike but after I removed the front plastic , I didn't see them. I just had a quick look tonight ,could someone guide me to where to find them? Does the front engine cover have to be removed? ......thanks
Looking at the engine from the front, the points are just off the front cover on the front of the engine block not on the covers.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Remove the left lower cowl (black bottom piece) Remove the two JIS screws, and two push clips in the front lower triangle piece and remove it.
As sitting on the bike, the adjustments will be on the left front side of the motor facing forward.
Your service manual will show you pictures of the adjusters and the lock nuts.
Again, spray some penetrating oil on them, and maybe take a brass brush and clean off all the dirt so you'll be able to see the lines and the punch marks etc.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Unless it's making excessive rattling or whining noise, I'd leave it be. Never touched mine (nor felt any need) in 150,000+ miles. Note that the owners / service manuals do not have any scheduled inspections or adjustments and the procedure in the manual is not in the maintenance section. I think it's intended for assembly purposes.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Unless it's making excessive rattling or whining noise, I'd leave it be. Never touched mine (nor felt any need) in 150,000+ miles. Note that the owners / service manuals do not have any scheduled inspections or adjustments and the procedure in the manual is not in the maintenance section. I think it's intended for assembly purposes.
That is what a Honda mechanic told me also, 164,000 miles on mine with no need to touch it.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Adjusted them today. They changed maybe 1/8" each.....went for a quick ride, can't really feel a difference..... In my mind it's much better though. :)

Top Bottom