1 year review of Honda NC700X

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
A good friend bought one and we met for lunch one day and switched bikes for about 25 miles. He asked what I thought and I admitted I liked the bike more than I thought I would. I told him for me the motor spooled up like my YPV 400 majesty scooter, which revs quickly to a point and then just stays at that point. To me it was like riding a scooter that you shifted. Not a bad thing, I like my scooter as well as my motorcycles. I too am a short shifter anyway on my motorcycles. Unlike Mello, i really dislike revving the snot out of a bike. I'm very rarely over 4500 rpms on any of my bikes and NEVER anywhere near redline. I recently sold my Yamaha FZ-1 with 32,000 miles on it and it had only been to 8000 once ( 13000 rpm redline?) and my ST has over 30,000 and it has never been over 6000 rpms.

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
I've narrowed down my thoughts on what bike I may spring for and keep coming back to the NC700X. I'm picturing a black NC with Repsol Orange wheels, hand guards, heated grips, tall windshield and aluminum panniers.
I realize the motor is a little boring but my CRF250L (with street tires) is a down sized version of the NC (except in seat height) and I like it fine. They are both gas misers with the new age motors.

If the next gen ST does not come out in a few months from now I may be contacting my local Honda dealer.

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
I've decided I'm going with a black Repsol NC700XDCT and now hope a new ST13 does NOT come out in the next few months.............OK..... I hope they do and I don't like it.
I've also decided to install a projector (better beam control than US spec reflector) beam HID headlight upgrade to the NC, among other things.

The DCT could and should get better fuel mileage than a manual if the computer mapping is set correctly, as the Toyota Scion advertises.
The 1" gear indicator will be fun watching while twisting up and down through these WV roadways.

I have my beemer listed on the sellernetworks.com site, where they offer financing and delivery for qualified buyers. And link the ad to participating sites. Easy Mellow.
I've contacted my local dealer but want to see what Honda does in 2014 before dropping the dime on an NC.

Honda built some Harley shake into the NC motor, which most don't like, but, hopefully the vibes don't get to the bars, mirrors and pegs.
I'm on the NC Forum but haven't done much reading yet on what the likes/dislikes are. There seems to be a NC750X for 2014 in some markets.

Bike
Vstrom 650
I'd imagine the new NC750X will be a good step up in power and will make this bike an even bigger seller in these austerity driven times.

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
I still think the NC'd be an even better allround bike if it had a shaft drive.
Earlier this year I rode about 2k miles on a rented NC and I must say I really like the bike.
More than enough get up and go for normal use (once you get used to the low max rpm's). The only time it dissappointed was on the German highways: Flat on the 'tank' in my friend's slipstream I barely managed to hit 100mph (according to GPS).

Getting almost twice the mileage per gallon compared to my friend's bike definately did not dissappoint ;-)
I would like to test the NC750X once it gets to my local Honda dealer, a bit more power & torque is always nice :)

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
ST13Fred; said:
Honda built some Harley shake into the NC motor, which most don't like, but, hopefully the vibes don't get to the bars, mirrors and pegs.
I'm on the NC Forum but haven't done much reading yet on what the likes/dislikes are. There seems to be a NC750X for 2014 in some markets.
I disagree strong with the Harley shake comment, particularly the "most". I've been active on a couple NC700 forums for over a year and a half and once in a while someone complains about certain vibrations or harmonics in 6th in a narrow rev band that many of us consider lugging the engine. Otherwise the motor does not tingle or buzz the rider interface points. In my opinion the bike feels more well tuned BMW airhead with its pleasing low frequency thudding or pulsing.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I haven't ridden the bike yet, I would like a 700X but first one must have money to give to the dealer.....

I still feel that lot of people, particularly the motorcycle press over here in Europe, are missing the point....

It is not a bike designed for 100mph running... it will run all day at 80 mph though... it is not a bike designed for fast 0-60 times and for redlining to get performance.....

It was designed because Honda research showed a large percentage of riders did not go over something like 83mph, nor did they drag it away from lights or junctions....

It was designed for economy and gives it.... I have never really enjoyed revving any of my bikes to high rpm's, except when I had one of the first CBR600's.... that was not necessary however as it went like stink anyway.....

The NC700 range is designed for the likes of me who commutes, averages maybe 60-65 mph and does a reasonable distance, in my case 40+ miles each way..... the ST1100 would have been great, my PC800 isn't bad... but...

I could also use it for longer journeys, but I prefer to take back roads these days rather than a highway if I can...... in this case the NC700 will fit the bill just right...with superb mileage per gallon as a major benefit....

I am hoping next year to be able to afford to change my bike for an NC700, but who knows.....

My first priority is not the bike.

Oh, and shaft drive would rob the already limited output of a few more horses and make it even less attractive to those that seek speed and power.... if that's what you are after, don't even bother to test one of these bikes as you will likely be disappointed.

:tc1:

Last edited:

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
I'm off topic here, sorry. I see you currently ride an '89 PC800.
I owned 2 '97 PC800s back in the '90s and put 120K miles total on them. The best and most practical commuter bike on the road, IMO. Very low maintenance and consistent 55+ MPG. The Dunlop K555 tires were cheap to buy and I ran 25K miles on a set.
I put a mercury operated light in the trunk, but never liked the 'star trekky' fairing over the front rotors, though, so the '97-'98 models, sans fairings, were better looking, IMO. The PC Forum has a huge following.

So the only NC700 I have ever ridden was yours Dave when you let me take it for spin into the Fontana Dam park. In retrospect I wish we had taken the full run down 28. You could have tried an extended run on the VFR and I could have had a better feel of the NC's capabilities. I have actually spent more time riding our Versys and Tiger 800 the last year but I still love to rip up mountains on the venerable VFR, it is such an amazing motorcycle.

I expect to pick up a new NC in the next month or so. I love low rev motors with a little thump to them and I could tell from the short hop on your bike the NC nailed the motor. Brakes and handling are way more important to me. My biggest fear is the brakes ay be too weak for my riding style but the real reason I want the NC is for some trips to Maine and Florida I am planning. I would normally use the VFR but the roads I grew up with ME would be perfect on the NC.

I ended up buying a house here in Knoxville to spend the next few years enjoying these fantastic mountain roads. Donna and I have had our old Central FL riding group stay here several times over the last year and the place actually works pretty well as a 5 guest B&B (got a good deal on a 5 bed/3 bath). So next time you get the urge to cruise the Dragon or some other amazing mountain roads don't hesitate to drop me a private message. We'll leave the light on for you and you can try either the Versys (ours is so much better than stock it's amazing) or Tiger if you want.

Kimball

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
So the only NC700 I have ever ridden was yours Dave when you let me take it for spin into the Fontana Dam park. In retrospect I wish we had taken the full run down 28. You could have tried an extended run on the VFR and I could have had a better feel of the NC's capabilities. I have actually spent more time riding our Versys and Tiger 800 the last year but I still love to rip up mountains on the venerable VFR, it is such an amazing motorcycle.

I expect to pick up a new NC in the next month or so. I love low rev motors with a little thump to them and I could tell from the short hop on your bike the NC nailed the motor. Brakes and handling are way more important to me. My biggest fear is the brakes ay be too weak for my riding style but the real reason I want the NC is for some trips to Maine and Florida I am planning. I would normally use the VFR but the roads I grew up with ME would be perfect on the NC.

I ended up buying a house here in Knoxville to spend the next few years enjoying these fantastic mountain roads. Donna and I have had our old Central FL riding group stay here several times over the last year and the place actually works pretty well as a 5 guest B&B (got a good deal on a 5 bed/3 bath). So next time you get the urge to cruise the Dragon or some other amazing mountain roads don't hesitate to drop me a private message. We'll leave the light on for you and you can try either the Versys (ours is so much better than stock it's amazing) or Tiger if you want.

Kimball
Kimball,

Thanks! That was a chance encounter on 129 and I remember it quite well. I've wondered at times if you ever moved on a 700X, you could have ridden mine farther if had wanted to - I was enjoying your VFR. I appreciate the offer and hope to take you up on it this year.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
How are you liking the NC700X Dave? Any updates? Karla and I are drooling over them. I've been trying to locate the cause of some issues on my 650R for the past week and it's starting to drive me a little crazy. Not like I could buy another bike, but my current situation certainly has me looking!
I'm still very happy with it at 23 months and 25,000 miles. Over 10,000 miles on Fuelly I'm averaging 67 mpg with a low of 45 and a high of 94. I learned a lesson about replacing a chain by itself to save money but other than a set of sprockets and two chains :( there has been no other issue. I'm on the second front tire and third rear (just put on a new rear yesterday). Next Wednesday I leave for OH-STOC and I waffle over which bike to take. The NC is much less powerful of course than the ST but it's 250 less lbs. Over 2200 miles on this upcoming STOC I estimate one will save about $90 in gas over the other. It's not solely about saving money but $90 is two nights sharing a hotel room paid for and when I ride with friends with much more powerful bikes I still get there at the same time albeit with less drive out of the corners :) It has roomy comfortable ergos and with Givi bags, top box, and the locking not a gas tank storage it has more storage than the ST. It's a hard choice sometimes but I guess than means I like both bikes a lot.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for the update! It's incredibly likely a pair of these will be our next bikes. Just gotta wait for the used market to grow. We've considered the KLRs and DRs, but they're just a bit too dirt oriented if we realistically consider the type of riding we do. While I like the motor in my 650R, I think the Versyses (Versysis? Versysees?) are butt ugly, and I think the NC700X will do the same job just as well with better fuel economy.

How have you acclimated to filling the gas tank?
I hope you can ride one for an extended demo. Some folks just don't like the power and the power delivery and I understand that. As far as the gas tank location goes......I think I have covered this quite extensively.....I have never had any issue with filling the tank. It is exceedingly rare for me to have anything on the rear seat that requires removal to access the gas fill and when I do it's no more involved than moving a tank bag off of a conventional gas fill. OK, it might take a few more seconds but I have the time and in exchange I have a fully enclosed waterproof 21 liter "tank bag" that I use every single ride. The frunk is something you will want on every bike after having one. After I added panniers to the top box on tour I never have anything on the rear seat. <Shrug>

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Two chains in 25K miles? Wow, that's no better than the belt-life on my PS250. I guess this means I should stock up on chains, then, if I go with the 700/750X. It does shine another light on the 700N with its shaft drive.

Though, with the chain being more accessible, I can imagine that it would be a little easier to change the chain on the 700x than the belt on the PS250, which requires time-eating disassembly of the belt case and careful manipulation of the split pulleys.
Let me clarify. The OEM chain on the 700 was way cheap and I over cleaned it from the getgo. I ruined the O ring seals and the chain began kinking at 4,000 miles. I replaced it at 8,000 miles with a cheap $80 Orbit chain from Cycle Gear. Against better judgement I put the new cheap chain on the original sprockets. At 17,000 miles IIRC I buy a good DID VX chain and new sprockets to replace the ones I rapidly wore out with the second chain. About 8,000 miles now the VX chain is showing none of the kinks the OEM chain had and after an initial break in never needs adjustment like the cheap ones constantly did. I should get a good long life out of it.

I had a 2012 nc700x , mine was one of the paint shakers so to speak. was a great city bike but on the highway it sucked. ran like it was on a constant misfire. i took a big hit in the wallet with it.
wish i could of test ridden one first, glad you like yours,
just sharing my experience with mine.
things i hated with mine.
split seat. it made the vibs worse. plus it was too small. tried a seat concepts cover , helped in that it was bigger
but still the vibs from the split .
hated the wind hit me, it would funnel up my arms into my helmet and cause buffeting . city riding was great up to 45 mph.
things i loved
the trunk was the greatest .
it was such a easy bike to ride. felt like a bicycle with a motor.
64 mpg every tank

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I've experienced no vibration at all at any speed I've ridden. It's a very smooth bike with low end grunt. I agree that it is very easy to live with in town.
Mike

Top Bottom