10 year old oil

Can't miss and opportunity to contribute to an oil thread. When moving,,, I discovered a 5 liter jug of Amsoil,,, that I had always used in my CB900c (which I still do, btw). Anyway,,, the amsoil was a bit over 20 years old. So I contacted Amsoil and asked if it was still okay,,, after all,, it still smelled the same,, and felt the same,,, but there was no expiry date on it. Amsoil laughed,,, and said, NO !! I ask why,,, and they said it was OLD. So I asked what happens to it with age ?? They said that they did not know. So I asked what the shelf life was considered to be,,,, and they hesitated and then replied something along the lines of "how about 1 year". I said,,, you must be kidding,,,, would you like to have this oil back, for free,, to test for deterioration so that we can all know ?? They said NO,,,, we are not in the business of dealing with OLD oil. I think I was starting to get on their nerves. So I put it in the bike,,, and it ran just like any other change of the same oil. Essentially,,, Amsoil did not know, and did not care. The next change was over to Rotella T3 (which is now T4),,, which I buy in bulk,, for 3 bikes and 2 sports cars, and helps keep costs down,,, Cheers,, Cat'

Beemerphile, you should be ashamed of yourelself.

I am shameless with my pups...

P1090915-M.jpg

P1100538-M.jpg

Millie says to give it a good shake and use it. Afterall, the dinosaurs who died in the making of that oil did so several hundred million years ago - so what’s 10 years?
F628F242-1E54-4176-953C-F71491F37C69.jpeg

Last edited:
So I contacted Amsoil and asked if it was still okay,,, after all,, it still smelled the same,, and felt the same,,, but there was no expiry date on it. Amsoil laughed,,, and said, NO !! I ask why,,, and they said it was OLD. So I asked what happens to it with age ?? They said that they did not know. So I asked what the shelf life was considered to be,,,, and they hesitated and then replied something along the lines of "how about 1 year". I said,,, you must be kidding,,,, would you like to have this oil back, for free,, to test for deterioration so that we can all know ?? They said NO,,,, we are not in the business of dealing with OLD oil.
You do get that they sell more oil that way, right?

This is Pepper, being a border collie she is not only smart and good with a ball, she's also really absorbent so good to have around at oil-change time...
1569207951947.png

“Yes, hello? Hello, is this the SPCA? I’d like to report the inappropriate use of an undercoat...”

:)

Yup, 3 of my 4 are in post #22. Dug, the bichon/poodle modeling a Batman towel and one of my wife’s crafts, as well as beating up Georgie, my Aussie Poodle cross. Annie, a mini Aussie Poodle has a hat too.

Missing is Maisie the Irish wolfhound pup... ah, there she is!

EF75CD53-FD9F-42AA-BDE9-97B7B6EBD6E1.jpeg

Poor Maisie, Dug keeps her in check!

So question is, would you use 10 year old oil in your bike?
Would I, in my bike? No....

But that's mostly due to the fact I don't have a 10yr old bottle. Send me your bottle, and ask me again.... (The answer will probably be different).

Welcome to the insanity that is our oil threads. Pets turn into oil just as well as dinosaurs did, right? And your ancestors get to claim it if you bury pets on your property....

Back
Top Bottom