$1050 (10 hours) to replace clutch slave cylinder? True?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
My new best time this morning :run1:
Removed/Replaced a clutch slave cylinder in 45 minutes.
I had my tools and new replacement parts laid out on my service cart.
Removed 5 bolts and 1 clip on lower cowling
Marked shifter shaft with sharpie, removed one bolt and let it hang
Removed 2 bolts from speed sensor switch, pulled it out and let it drain.
Removed 1 bolt from metal band that holds hoses to back of engine and removed it out of the way.
Removed the oil filter, and let it drain.
Took my 15 inch Matco flex head ratchet wrench and removed the oil bolt/washers
Removed the 3 8mm head bolts with a 1/4 inch Snap On ratchet and standard length socket.
Pulled the damaged CSC out, along with the 2 guide dowels.
Wiped everything clean.
Got Lucky and had the gasket come off in one piece for a change :wave1:
Removed oil seal with sheet metal screw and long nose pliers, and replaced seal.
Replaced new guide dowels
Installed new CSC assembly (complete)
Inserted a 3/4 inch by 1/2 inch strip of wood, edgewise, between the shaft assembly, and the CSC cover, which holds it perfectly in place, and gives you room to work and see things etc.
Used a 1/4 inch drive 8mm swivel socket and a 14 inch extension to replace the 3 bolts from the rear (2 from the right side, 1 from the left side)
Torqued the fasteners down with the 1/4 inch drive ratchet and standard length socket.
Replaced the Oil bolt/washers
Installed new Oil filter, speed sensor (with new O-ring), the retaining band for the hoses, and shifter linkage etc.
Replaced lower cowl
Replaced the clutch fluid, pulled it through the system with a mityvac, then bled the system with my motion pro check valve, etc.
After doing about a dozen of these lately, they are getting easier....its usually that damn gasket, and scraping I hate :well1:
Hint: this job is easier if the bike is on a table lift, and you have a K&L center jack under the motor supporting the bike, so you can move the center stand around while you work.
;)
:WCP1:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I can't picture what you mean by "move the center stand around while you work."
I've placed a jack under the engine, just to keep the front wheel off the ground / keep the back tire down on the ground. But I couldn't trust it to hold the bike, if I started trying to push it around on the center stand.
Congrats on your new personal best!
I'm thinking that did not allow for a lot of time to take pictures...

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I don’t use or trust small bottle jacks or motorcycle lifts that use them, as I’ve had them fail in the past.
Google k&l center jack, its a very strong worm drive lift that you can raise or lower your bike to anywhere you need it to be within hits range of course.
It’s easier to work in this area with the center stand free to be raised or lowered to allow access for you tools etc.
Here are a couple pictures from my old phone showing this job.

Attachments

Top Bottom