1100 rectifier

Bike
st1100
Recently the rectifier blew on my 95 1100 police model
It got that hot that the epoxy blew out from the body of the unit
the alternator tested fine. a new one arrived overnite and away i went. only thing is it is running hot, like you can not keep your hand on it for long as the revs go up.
all test are OK it is just Hot.
I wonder how long it will go OK for
Paul T

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Rectifiers can get very hot to the touch. Make sure you check all the connections from the alternator to the rectifier. There is a four pin connector that runs through the main relay that is known to degrade and overheat. This can cause the failure of the rectifier and potentially the alternator. Check for burned wires and melted plastic.

OP
OP
Bike
st1100
Thanks for your thoughts
I have been all over the connectors, no corrosion, all tight and no sign of heat. all tests OK just runs hot
i worked in radio and TV transmission years ago don't recall things getting this hot
I am rather suspicious
Paul

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Also a weak ground on the rectifier ground wire will cause it to overheat. On some rectifiers I have run an additional wire from the battery negative terminal and spliced it into the rectifier ground wire to make sure it is fully grounded. Many times the harness grounds can be weak.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
One of the mounting lugs serves as a heat sink to the foot peg muffler bracket it's bolted too. Make sure you are getting good physical contact between the exposed metal part of the r/r mount lug and that bracket. Check also for clean threads where the bolt goes. Can't hurt to apply some dielectric grease or some conductive grease maybe?

Hey Pault
Did you ever find out what was the cause of your rectifier overheating ?
I'm having similar problems and have tried 'everything'
Many thanks
Simon

Top Bottom