1985 Honda Sabre (VF1100S)

Bike
1985 V65 Sabre
I currently just acquired a 98 Honda ST1100 as of yesterday but I figured I'd share my other bike I absolutely love, I have a 1985 V65 Sabre that I've been riding for a couple years now. They definitely don't make them like they used to. Not too carvy when it comes to the curves but I love the rush when you twist the throttle! Can't wait to start this journey with my ST, look forward to hearing from the wise ones about these bikes. I already fell in love with the smooth and comfortable ride of the ST!! Also, gotta love the V4!!

Attachments

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
I currently just acquired a 98 Honda ST1100 as of yesterday but I figured I'd share my other bike I absolutely love, I have a 1985 V65 Sabre that I've been riding for a couple years now. They definitely don't make them like they used to. Not too carvy when it comes to the curves but I love the rush when you twist the throttle! Can't wait to start this journey with my ST, look forward to hearing from the wise ones about these bikes. I already fell in love with the smooth and comfortable ride of the ST!! Also, gotta love the V4!!
Those were definately sweet bikes. -- Hang on when you twist it!

OP
OP
Ciarrocchi32
Bike
1985 V65 Sabre
Oh I know, I love it. I actually swapped the stock 3.40 rear end for the 3.18 rear end from the VF750 for more of a low end rush and better power band on the highway in 6th gear. I hope to have her for many more years!

mello dude

I got only a few rides on one.. had a 700 and that began my Honda V4 journey..
Delaware by Columbus?

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I also had an 85 V65 Sabre but eventually found it too tall and top heavy to suit me. After dropping it with my wife on back while turning around in a parking lot I decided to sell it.

OP
OP
Ciarrocchi32
Bike
1985 V65 Sabre
I also had an 85 V65 Sabre but eventually found it too tall and top heavy to suit me. After dropping it with my wife on back while turning around in a parking lot I decided to sell it.
Sorry to hear that! The bike is a big top heavy bitch that's for sure, kinda awkward sometimes too! I've kinda gotten used to it by now .

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
My intro into Sport Touring was a V65 Sabre. Bought it from a college kid for $800. Been sitting in a barn and carbs were all gunked up. Tried to shortcut cleaning them so finally took them off and into the vat. Took four times to get it right but that bike served me well for years. Bought it with 8000 miles and sold it with 85,000 miles. Had the Hondaline fairing (think CBX) and shield. Bought a Corbin seat for it that colormatched (Red Black Silver) and had many enjoyable miles on that bike. Only had to rewire the stator wires after the connector melted. Mucho fun on that bike. That bike convinced me that any bike from now on had to be able to go 200 miles at 80 mph on a tank of gas. Didn't have the SuperTanker 1100 gas tank back then. Nice ones are getting hard to find as anything from 1984/5 is.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Magna’s from that era seemed to get all the V4 love.
I had a 1984 V45 Magna, the sister motorcycle to the Sabre line. It was fun to ride- for a short distance. The seat was a torture device, my rear end hurts just thinking about it.
I bought it new and probably put around 25 or 30, 000 miles on it. Overall, the worst bike that I ever had as far as reliability goes. It was affected by the defective camshafts that Honda had back then. A recall was issued by Honda, but I never got the notice even though I was the original owner and my address hadn't changed. I had to deal with it at my own expense 20 years later.

After it was a few years old it would not restart if I filled the gas tank right up. If I filled it to 5/8 or less it was fine. You have no idea how much of a problem that is on a motorcycle that hardly holds any gas to begin with!

I was on a ride with some friends and one of them informed that my forks were really flexing a lot, as though there was something wrong. The next day I took it apart to check it only to find that three of the four down tubes were cracked completely through, and the fourth was cracked half way through. I was really close to having the front end completely fall off at 60 MPH. That was it for that bike, but I have had three Honda V4's since.

I had a 1984 V45 Magna, the sister motorcycle to the Sabre line. It was fun to ride- for a short distance. The seat was a torture device, my rear end hurts just thinking about it.
I bought it new and probably put around 25 or 30, 000 miles on it. Overall, the worst bike that I ever had as far as reliability goes. It was affected by the defective camshafts that Honda had back then. A recall was issued by Honda, but I never got the notice even though I was the original owner and my address hadn't changed. I had to deal with it at my own expense 20 years later.

After it was a few years old it would not restart if I filled the gas tank right up. If I filled it to 5/8 or less it was fine. You have no idea how much of a problem that is on a motorcycle that hardly holds any gas to begin with!

I was on a ride with some friends and one of them informed that my forks were really flexing a lot, as though there was something wrong. The next day I took it apart to check it only to find that three of the four down tubes were cracked completely through, and the fourth was cracked half way through. I was really close to having the front end completely fall off at 60 MPH. That was it for that bike, but I have had three Honda V4's since.
i had a first Gen Magna too, but my experience was better than yours. I had a second Gen for a while too, as well as a third Gen that I really enjoyed.4B46B193-B736-4420-87E9-CF0CE23542ED.jpeg

mello dude

Loved my old 700 Sabre, but like yours it was a reliability nightmare, 2 sets of cams, timing chain stretching, charging crap... (cured me from Honda bikes with timing chains.)
Anyhoo, found a photo..

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Loved my old 700 Sabre, but like yours it was a reliability nightmare, 2 sets of cams, timing chain stretching, charging crap... (cured me from Honda bikes with timing chains.)
Anyhoo, found a photo..
I still have mine, but it's been sitting in a garage and needs a bit of work to get in good running shape again. Any idea what these things are worth? I'm not into wrenching anymore and I'd rather not pay more than the bike is worth to fix it up.

mello dude

I still have mine, but it's been sitting in a garage and needs a bit of work to get in good running shape again. Any idea what these things are worth? I'm not into wrenching anymore and I'd rather not pay more than the bike is worth to fix it up.
Suggestion.... sign up on the forum VFRWorld and post up about your bike. One guy there is the guru on 80s bikes... Captain 80s... good guy and fabulous restoration gear head.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
My '83 V65 Magna...... most comfortable Corbin seat ever (it had padding). While not a lightweight at 540 lbs, I never thought of them as top heavy.... and yes, they could have used a bigger gas tank..... It was a little rough when I got it, I restored it to this level, then eventually sold it.

It was my introduction to Honda V4's too...... I no longer have the ST13, but do have a VFR800 with the gear driven cams.

ddemair, there's a good following of the 80's V4's as well as current... oddly enough not so much Magna/Saber, but perhaps ask your question over there as many are restoring these gems....
VFRWorld in particular, and VFR Discussion forums.... all the old Sab/Mag forums seems to be mothballed or gone.

Edit, my buddy mello dude beat me to it.......

Attachments

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I was on a ride with some friends and one of them informed that my forks were really flexing a lot, as though there was something wrong. The next day I took it apart to check it only to find that three of the four down tubes were cracked completely through, and the fourth was cracked half way through.
Four? :confused1: Are you talking about the fork or the frame?

OP
OP
Ciarrocchi32
Bike
1985 V65 Sabre
My intro into Sport Touring was a V65 Sabre. Bought it from a college kid for $800. Been sitting in a barn and carbs were all gunked up. Tried to shortcut cleaning them so finally took them off and into the vat. Took four times to get it right but that bike served me well for years. Bought it with 8000 miles and sold it with 85,000 miles. Had the Hondaline fairing (think CBX) and shield. Bought a Corbin seat for it that colormatched (Red Black Silver) and had many enjoyable miles on that bike. Only had to rewire the stator wires after the connector melted. Mucho fun on that bike. That bike convinced me that any bike from now on had to be able to go 200 miles at 80 mph on a tank of gas. Didn't have the SuperTanker 1100 gas tank back then. Nice ones are getting hard to find as anything from 1984/5 is.
Love this story and agree wholeheartedly!!! My Sabre isn't in tip top shape yet, carbs need gone through due to sitting and vacuum synched, clutch and calipers need redone, then she'll be golden. It's been an amazing bike so far, and hope to get just as much as you get out of yours. Thank you again for the story!!

Top Bottom