1990 alternater problem

Bike
1990 st1100
my 1990 28 amp wires and reg/recifyer seem to get very hot, so hot all conectors and wires end up burning out. ive replaced wireing up the harness several times. ive reasantly replaced the outer wireing of alternater and the reg/rect but the 3 yellow wires are so hot its starting to scorch the connector. so far ive not replaced the magnetic side (inner) as the one in the bike is badly stained, could this cause a problem.

ive checked some earth connections and all seem fine. a check on the elecs yesterday showed volt gauge at 15-16 volts (power circut put in by me direct from battery but relayed to ignition to power intercom, gps and other eletronics) but amp meter on battery 14-15 (acseptable)

havent been able to find 40 amp conversion parts in aus so that out of the question

any one with some advise would be greatly apreciated

regards royce

Bike
1993 ST1100
STOC #
my 1990 28 amp wires and reg/recifyer seem to get very hot, so hot all conectors and wires end up burning out. ive replaced wireing up the harness several times. ive reasantly replaced the outer wireing of alternater and the reg/rect but the 3 yellow wires are so hot its starting to scorch the connector. so far ive not replaced the magnetic side (inner) as the one in the bike is badly stained, could this cause a problem.

ive checked some earth connections and all seem fine. a check on the elecs yesterday showed volt gauge at 15-16 volts (power circut put in by me direct from battery but relayed to ignition to power intercom, gps and other eletronics) but amp meter on battery 14-15 (acseptable)

havent been able to find 40 amp conversion parts in aus so that out of the question

any one with some advise would be greatly apreciated

regards royce
Most people eliminate the connector overheat problem by soldering the yellow stator output leads directly together. It's a common Honda problem and common fix on many models, not just the ST. Your readings sound reasonable, IMHO

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Scorched connectors will have higher resistance, increases the load, scorches more, etc. Closed loop increasing problem 'til it fails.

As suggested, delete the connector.

Top Bottom