2004#1 Re-Re-Store Project

Still plenty to do. But I can only do so much in a day! :rolleyes:

True.
If you wanted to do more I hear @Igofar had some cans of wonder he recently used to pull an all nighter replacing coolant on another forum members ST...
Although I fear he may be decanting some magical elixar from the Jar of Shame contents.

True.
If you wanted to do more I hear @Igofar had some cans of wonder he recently used to pull an all nighter replacing coolant on another forum members ST...
Although I fear he may be decanting some magical elixar from the Jar of Shame contents.

LOL

I'm afraid I do not have the stamina that Larry has. I'm good for a few hours at a time, although I have been know to do an All Day-er here and there. ;)

Reactions: Obo
Boy, it's been awhile since I was able to get back to this bike with the move and all. And of course, the lower tank rusted again and the fuel pump is a rusty mess, so I've decided to just replace that lower tank. I have one someplace, I'll try to find it, if not, I sent one with my son that took the '05, which they didn't use. At this point, time is on my side, so I'm not is a super hurry.

So, it will have to sit until I can get that taken care of.

Boy, it's been awhile since I was able to get back to this bike with the move and all. And of course, the lower tank rusted again and the fuel pump is a rusty mess, so I've decided to just replace that lower tank. I have one someplace, I'll try to find it, if not, I sent one with my son that took the '05, which they didn't use. At this point, time is on my side, so I'm not is a super hurry.

So, it will have to sit until I can get that taken care of.

You should take one of the old rusted ones, clean it and kreem (or equivalent) it.

I had seen some "miracle" rust remover advertised, so I bought a couple of "really" small bottles of it and decided to see if it would clean up the fuel pump assembly, minus the pump, strainer and filter.

Here is the results:

Before:

DSC03839-s.jpg
DSC03840-s.jpg

After:

DSC03841-s.jpg

DSC03842-s.jpg

Not perfect, but not bad either. Instructions said to spray on/wipe off, but I had to use a small wire brush on it.

I might use it in this bike, but I need to buy some more parts.

Back in May, I picked up a good used lower tank that wasn't rusted.

I started yesterday and finished installing it today. I need to go get some fresh gas so I can get this bike started.

20210719_NewLowerTank.jpg 20210720_lowerTankInstalled.jpg

And the next thing I need to figure out, what color this bike is going to be! :dr13: ,:bk13: or :bl13:?

More progress!

I got the thermostat replaced and the housing all connected up!

View attachment 252479

And the throttlebody put back in after replacing all the coolant hose and vacuum hoses.

View attachment 252480

Still plenty to do. But I can only do so much in a day! :rolleyes:

What are the black clamps/bands on the hose lines? I've just got the regular metal radiator hose clamps you tighten with a flathead.

Why pick only one? And yes this was a thing...

I don't need multiple, multiple colored bikes! ;)

As for the miracle rust remover used 2 posts above what brand did you use?

Navel Jelly, but do to not getting the bike back on the road then, the lower tank rusted up again, worse than the first time.

What are the black clamps/bands on the hose lines? I've just got the regular metal radiator hose clamps you tighten with a flathead.

Those are Gates thermal clamps. They work well for the larger hoses. I couldn't get the smaller clamps to seal up the small hoses.

Last edited:
Yesterday, I got some fresh gas in it, installed the fuel pump shot a little starter fluid in it and it started and ran right off! I let it run a bit and then changed the oil and coolant and decided what color it is going to be, by installing the rear cowl and rack. I need to search for some parts, but it is coming together!

Will this be the forum's longest-running ST1300 rebuild?
I know all about "life gets in the way." Took me a month to reinstall my replacement rear brake caliper...

:rofl1:

Yeah, considering I started back in March 2018!

Three other ST1300s and a move, yeah, you could say LIFE got in the way! o_O

After two years of starting, I finally finished up the brakes on the 2004! I can't believe it! I started back before our move in February 2020, I had planned to change out the front calipers and SMC. I actually had the new (used, but in really good condition) calipers mounted, but hadn't removed the old ones. Then due to the move, I had to take off the new ones and just make the bike moveable.

A few months ago, I swapped out the calipers and SMC, and started bleeding them, but got distracted with other things. I finished them up yesterday. The bike is still on the lift, so I couldn't test them around the block, that will come later.

20220418_BrakeBleed.jpg

Still lot to do, but I'm SLOWLY getting there! :)

Back
Top Bottom