2018/2019/2020 Goldwings: known issues?

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I know there are loads of Goldwing forums out there, and I've been surfing them looking for answers to this, but since I'm a member here and I know many of my ST brethren have made the jump I'll ask anyhow.

Has anyone compiled and published, or run across, a list of the known issues with 2018 and later Goldwings? I know the GPS on the initial 2018 batch had some problems, and that a software update was issued to address that. I also have read of some wonky wiring that led to bikes dying after a short ride, or causing all of the lights to go crazy. I think I've seen threads about the reverse having some issues; not sure whether it's the electric reverse on the manuals or the integrated engine-on reverse on the DCTs.

Did Honda get all of those things fixed in the 2019 and later models? Are there other things I should look out for if I take the plunge? Should I avoid the 2018s and stick to later models? (There's a NEW 2018 Tour at the nearest dealer to me, listed @ $19,500. Very tempting...)

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
I know there are loads of Goldwing forums out there, and I've been surfing them looking for answers to this, but since I'm a member here and I know many of my ST brethren have made the jump I'll ask anyhow.

Has anyone compiled and published, or run across, a list of the known issues with 2018 and later Goldwings? I know the GPS on the initial 2018 batch had some problems, and that a software update was issued to address that. I also have read of some wonky wiring that led to bikes dying after a short ride, or causing all of the lights to go crazy. I think I've seen threads about the reverse having some issues; not sure whether it's the electric reverse on the manuals or the integrated engine-on reverse on the DCTs.

Did Honda get all of those things fixed in the 2019 and later models? Are there other things I should look out for if I take the plunge? Should I avoid the 2018s and stick to later models? (There's a NEW 2018 Tour at the nearest dealer to me, listed @ $19,500. Very tempting...)
I say you can't go wrong with that Wing, Merry Christmas.

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I have an '18 Tour DCT. Absolutely no issue for me. That's a great price! Comes with 3 year warranty.
$19.5K for 6 speed manual; $21K gets me a DCT.

Some of the GW forums have hinted that at least some Honda dealers are not always real wildly supportive of providing a lot of warranty service...

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have an '18 Tour DCT. Absolutely no issue for me. That's a great price! Comes with 3 year warranty.
+1
I have 18K+ miles on my 2018 DCT Tour with no issues. I only had to have the parking brake adjusted and needed to adjust the latch mechanism for the tank cubby. I also have a friend who has a 2018 DCT Tour with over 36K miles with a similar experience.
I have not heard of any differences between the 2018 and newer models.

WaterlooJay

R.I.P. - 2021/07/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2021 BMW RnineT UGS
STOC #
I had my 2018 White DCT Tour with over 30,000 miles. The only issue I had was filling the gas tank over and over as it just wanted to keep going. Traded both the Wing & the 2017 Africa Twin for the new 2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT. 6517F8BB-588A-4D1B-BFC9-1145874637E6.jpeg

Go buy one you will not regret it.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I had my 2018 White DCT Tour with over 30,000 miles. The only issue I had was filling the gas tank over and over as it just wanted to keep going. Traded both the Wing & the 2017 Africa Twin for the new 2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT. 6517F8BB-588A-4D1B-BFC9-1145874637E6.jpeg

Go buy one you will not regret it.
Something about it...says Star Wars...!!! ToddC

Gandolkf

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Wing
STOC #
+1
I have 18K+ miles on my 2018 DCT Tour with no issues. I only had to have the parking brake adjusted and needed to adjust the latch mechanism for the tank cubby. I also have a friend who has a 2018 DCT Tour with over 36K miles with a similar experience.
I have not heard of any differences between the 2018 and newer models.
Could the adjust the latch mechanism for the tank cubby?

My latch was touching the top part,Rubbing the corner.
I left it at Dealer,they remove plastics and can't adjust.
they ordered new latch and door and something else.
gonna take a few more days.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I have an 18 DCT Tour and like it a lot.

The reverse issue is only on the manual shift models. I believe it is a cable adjustment issue.

The biggest problem with the original GPS is that it would only allow 8 waypoints. They rectified that in the first update and it now holds 99 I think. The GPS is evitiutni, that is the opposite of intuitive but you will get used to it. Most operations are not allowed while moving (probably law). My main issue with it is that you can only remove one waypoint at a time. I'm hoping they will fix this in the next update which some speculate is coming in January. Sometimes gets a little off track deep in the mountains, but my Garmin does too. I do like having it built into the bike.

Carplay can be a little wonky at times. Could be my antique Iphone.

There are a lot of complaints about Honda running the other way on warranty issues. It appears everything is a "wear item" from what I read. Haven't had a warranty issue yet.

The parking brake will need to be adjusted. Apparently Honda doesn't do it and it is ignored in the dealer setup. The good news is it easy and takes 5 minutes.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
There are no real consistant issues with the new Goldwing. A few inconsistant minor problems but nothing widespread. With that said the GPS is the only universal issue with the bike. If you create a route and wander off it, it will continually try to route you back to your previous stop. You have to reload. I put a ballmount on the left bar and put my Garmin 61 Drivesmart there. Problem solved. There were complaints about the gas tank size, 5.5 gal. it is not difficult at all to get 50+ mpg avg, my bike after 22k + is getting a 51.4 mpg avg. One more note, some buyers are referring to the new GW as the "ST1800", personally I thought it was quite a compliment. A nice correction that they did on the Goldwing is the rear view mirrors have an aerodynamic cut to them that eliminates the back pressure from having the windshield in the full up position. Also crosswinds on this bike are no problem. 5 days after I bought this bike in March 18' I rode it down to Florida and back in temperatures has low as the upper 20s. When I drove from Ohio to Michigan I had crosswinds over 40 miles an hour and put the cruise on 70, no problem.

Below I listed what is great about the bike from a post on the GL1800 Riders forum.

In order of importance:

The new 1833 motor
Lighter weight
Double wishbone suspension
The handling and lightness of the front end
Ride Modes
Traction Control
Front and Back Brakes
The new aerodynamics
Electric windshield
Cruise Control
The simplicity of the switch layout

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
No real problems with my ‘18 at 16,000 miles, except starter replacement around 10K. Dealer in Chattanooga replaced it under warranty, with no hesitation.

You have to use any type of Bluetooth headset, for Apple CarPlay to work. I love the CarPlay option, especially when running the Waze app on the screen.

Cruiseman, in my opinion, likes to “stir the pot” with his videos. He’s even pointed out ”life threatening” features on the bike. I’m sure his doomsday prophecy only drives more traffic to his videos and forum, which means more video sales and more revenue from web traffic.

There’s another set of videos available, which are much better. I purchased the downloadable version of these, for less than the cost of 1 hour of dealer labor. Fred’s videos seem to be more professionally produced.

The good thing about the bike, is that the plastic comes off, very much like the ST1300.
The bad thing about the bike, is that the plastic comes off, very much like the ST1300. :biggrin: Meaning it’s an all day job to change the air filter.

Spend the money for the service manual. Mine stays on the coffee table for reading in my spare time.

Most of the problems that you read about on the Wing forums, can be remedied by reading the owners manual.

Ride Safe
John

PS: You can’t take it with you. No, really. You can’t take it with you, the bags are too small ;)

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I haven't put the miles on mine like others have. The only issue I have is the reverse gear will need an adjustment. It reverses most times but if there is a little extra resistance, (gravel, slope) it slips a little. I'll take it in to have it adjusted sometime in the near future. It is a super comfortable bike for me! The previous owner had Heli risers installed and a Honda backrest; making it a perfect fit for me! It's not an ST 1800 as some have called it. It is a leaner and more agile Gold Wing than it's predecessor. I added a tinted F4 wind shield; same height as stock with lip and 4 inches wider.

Attachments

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
I bought one of the white ones and am quite happy with it. I can't speak to all the GPS and other electronic gadgets that do or don't work because I'm an old road atlas guy still. Have used the GPS a couple of times and it got me where I was going but I'm sure no master of the GPS. Just got a headset so learning how to make that work. I can listen to my I pod so all is good. The rest will come as needed.
It is a much different bike than the previous GL1800. If you are two up you may want to consider an older version due to the size and storage difference.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
WOW! I had no idea that so many members here went over to the ST1800. I saw the bike in person at the Long Beach show when it debuted and really liked it.

Some don't like the ST1800 moniker. I used it early on because it seemed (and came to pass) more Sport than the old Wings and more Touring that the STs even if not as sporty as them.

From what I've seen is the most common complaints are the smaller tank and lesser luggage capacity. Actual owners (who didn't sell their bike) seemed for the most part to take it in STride.

Top Bottom