2018 - 2021 Goldwing Basic with Manual Transmission - Anyone Have One?

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
Just wondering if anyone here has purchased a 2018 (or later year) Goldwing in the basic bagger style with the manual 6-speed transmission - essentially as basic as it comes?

If so - how do you like it? Any regrets about not buying the tour version or DCT transmission? I know it depends a bit on your intended use but it seems to me you get a lot of the Goldwing goodness with the basic package at a more affordable price.

I have a 2018 Tour model with manual transmission. Previous owner had it set up as a bagger because he wanted the extra tech. that came with the tour model. I like the looks but I really miss the tour pack and will most likely put it back on in the near future. I haven't rode the DCT so I don't know what I'm missing. The 6 speed tranny and clutch are super smooth, the best I've ever experienced. My buddy John (Nashcat) has the tour DCT and loves it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 29
I have a 2018 Tour model with manual transmission. Previous owner had it set up as a bagger because he wanted the extra tech. that came with the tour model. I like the looks but I really miss the tour pack and will most likely put it back on in the near future. I haven't rode the DCT so I don't know what I'm missing. The 6 speed tranny and clutch are super smooth, the best I've ever experienced. My buddy John (Nashcat) has the tour DCT and loves it.

Thank you for the feedback. All the reviews I have read indicate that the manual transmission on the GW is really smooth, perhaps as good as it gets. While it's possible that I would/will like a DCT transmission I enjoy shifting. Most of my cars have also been manual transmissions.

Motorman did a utube review of the bagger manual.

Didn’t like the part where he said a guy dropped his wing barely moving and scratched the saddlebags up pretty good
Honda should rethink those rear tip over bars

Last edited:
Motorman did a utube review of the bagger manual.

Thanks - I've seen that video. I'm hoping that someone who owns, or has owned, a ST1100 or ST1300 might chime in as to their experience with the GW basic and perhaps how it compares to their ST. Different I'm guessing but hopefully in a good way.

I’m not an expert, so take that into consideration, I have about 25,000 miles on my ST.
After dest driving a tour, DCT version (not what you asked about, I know…) the GW is a more comfortable bike to ride (modern suspension), and easier to walk back and forth (lower seat height.)
GW is snappy enough for me, and has that light touch turning that we all love about our STs. Honestly, it’s a fantastic replacement/upgrade, and if I had the means, I‘d be getting one yesterday.
Your Honda dealer should have the DCT demo days going on, and should have a DCT GW you can demo. Just make sure you put it in sport mode!

Sorry I don't have the bagger or the manual. But be aware (as you probably are) that there are more differences than just the top box. I'm not sure the manual bagger has reverse, and I know several other features if those are important to you.

I did demo the manual but that day my left foot was killing me (diabetes). I figure I'll only get worse from here so I went with the DCT.

Test ride both and make your own decision.

I have an 18' Tour with a manual transmission and it is my choice. I test rode the DCT in early March 18' for over 90 minutes. I went to a parking lot first to do low speed maneuvers, then to city riding and also expressway. I thought it was nice but I didn't care for the shift points and the DCT has 8 less HP and 6 less ft. lb. of torque.

Attachments

• Honda GW DCT Dynomometer Test.jpg
    Honda GW DCT Dynomometer Test.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Honda GW Dyno.jpg
    Honda GW Dyno.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 13
Buddy of mine has one. No reverse, no center stand, no suspension adjustment (you have to do it yourself), and probably a few other things I don't know about.
I have the tour version and for the extra goodies that it has I think it is the better buy. Careful shopping will get you close to the same pricing if you are looking at used. Seems it would be easier to buy a tour model and take the trunk off and make it a bagger.

Not to hi jack your thread here... I went to the website HPS, I see there is an option for a DCT foot shifter, would that not make it a manual? The bike sure seems sweet! As @feejer pointed out the "buy the tour pull the trunk" is probably right.

I thought the bike might be easier to handle at low speeds without the trunk, but I asked people who had it removed and they said there was no handling difference, except in stiff cross winds.

I have an 18' Tour with a manual transmission and it is my choice. I test rode the DCT in early March 18' for over 90 minutes. I went to a parking lot first to do low speed maneuvers, then to city riding and also expressway. I thought it was nice but I didn't care for the shift points and the DCT has 8 less HP and 6 less ft. lb. of torque.
It’s normal for engine output to vary between individual machines and individual dyno meters. No two engines will test exactly the same. For something as important as quantitative performance differences between DCT and manual bikes Honda would include it in technical data and press packets. They never have done this on the Goldwing or any of the other 6 motorcycles given the transmission option of manual or DCT.

Since only these two tests were done, these on different engines, and done years apart on different dynos any conclusions drawn cannot be relied upon as factual or highly probable.

Last edited:
As @feejer pointed out the "buy the tour pull the trunk" is probably right.
If I were to get one that's how I'd do it. The idea of a trunk is great but I'm not enamored with the throne attached to it. The potential if marginal increase in handling isn't important to me. I just like the lines better without that huge chunk of furniture on the back. But I will say having a box to stow your helmet would be convenient.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

I do like the look! Really nice flowing lines.

For my taste I also think the trunk-free Goldwing look is very cool - not something I would expect to say about a GW. It's a bike I would give a last look at in the garage before parking it.

If I were to do any touring it would likely be solo - so the side cases and a waterproof duffle on the back seat would work. I would also give some consideration to perhaps adding an easy on/easy off Shad or Givi top case in the event my wife did want to come.

I will also give another look at the Tour model to make sure I understand the extra goodies that come with that so I can be comfortable with excluding them them or not.

I got the tour manual in 18. Have 70k on it. No regrets. Reverse is great, centerstand is great, top box is so handy. I though I would remove it. Never did! Wonderful motorcycle. I’ll make you a great deal - it is white. I’m afraid I’ll put another 30k on it and won’t be able to sell it. Most folks don’t do 30k in 10 years. I do 30k a year. I’m lucky enough to travel for work, and am able to ride.

I got the tour manual in 18. Have 70k on it. No regrets. Reverse is great, centerstand is great, top box is so handy. I though I would remove it. Never did! Wonderful motorcycle. I’ll make you a great deal - it is white. I’m afraid I’ll put another 30k on it and won’t be able to sell it. Most folks don’t do 30k in 10 years. I do 30k a year. I’m lucky enough to travel for work, and am able to ride.

Thank you for the feedback. A number of years ago I wanted to try owning a ST1100 so I purchased one with over 120,000 miles on it. It was well maintained by the prior owner and ran great. It still does - so well maintained high mileage Hondas don't bother me.

Just sent you a PM with more questions.

Just wondering if anyone here has purchased a 2018 (or later year) Goldwing in the basic bagger style with the manual 6-speed transmission - essentially as basic as it comes?

If so - how do you like it? Any regrets about not buying the tour version or DCT transmission? I know it depends a bit on your intended use but it seems to me you get a lot of the Goldwing goodness with the basic package at a more affordable price.
I fit that bill .. purchased a 2021 Goldwing Manual base model (no trunk) 3 weeks ago. Test drove the DCT and Manual before buying and loved them both. Since I was not able to find a new 2018-2020 holdover, I had to go up to a 2021, which meant no DCT or Tour. Only things I miss not having the DCT (or Tour) model are: 1) Reverse; and 2) TPMS. My GW is so much lighter than my last bike (Victory) that I haven't needed the Reverse yet. I knew this before buying this model, but I changed out the shortie windshield to a standard Tour size one last week. New one fits me perfectly, but the Shortie one was making me fatigued.

Attachments

• IMG_1550.jpg
    IMG_1550.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom