2021 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 vs 2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT vs 2006 ST 1300

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
Haven't posted on here in a while. I was looking at either the 2021 Tracer 9 GT or 2021 Kawasaki Ninja 1000. I ended up getting the Ninja, mainly because I wanted something similar to the ST in being a sport bike type sport tourer. The reason I switched in the first place is because I wanted something with ABS and other rider/electronic safety aids. My ST is also 15 years old and I just didn't want to chance hoses and other things starting to wear out/fail. Also, this is a bit of a covid purchase - just want something new and why wait?

I like the more sport bike type orientation vs the adventure bike sport tourer. Was really close on getting the Tracer, like I had an order in for months, but switched to the Ninja at the last minute. The main reason I switched was I like to go fast. The tracer has 117 HP and 69 lb-ft of torque on 485 pounds. The Ninja has 142 HP and 82 lb-ft of torque on 513 pounds. It seemed like the rider electronic aids were comparable. Since I had to buy the bike unseen and without a test ride I went with the more powerful bike. I also watched some videos of people who owned Tracers and then test rode the Ninja. The all preferred the Ninja.

Just some initial impressions on the Ninja.
  • The bike is fast, not scary fast. The electronic aids really control the ride/power. I would say gears 1-4 you have all the power you need. Gear 5 is a little less and Gear 6 is just for cruising.
  • Brakes really bite.
  • I thought the 14 degree forward lean would be an issue but it wasn't. I actually got risers on the ST, but for now will stay with stock on the Ninja.
  • The foot peg position is somewhat cramped, but ok for the 7 hour stretch I did going home. At times I just moved off the balls of my feet and that seemed to work. I ordered a peg lowering kit.
  • The seat is only marginally better than stock ST, but I can only ride with Russell Day Long, tried many other seats on the ST and the Russell was the only one that worked.
  • Handling is very light compared to the ST and feels totally planted and secure. I never really got the suspension dialed in on the ST even with Sonic in front and Penske shock in rear.
  • Wind protection is not as good as the ST, but that is OK with me. I ride mainly in the summer and the ST almost blocks too much wind where you don't get the cooling wind effect. I ended up cutting down my stock ST windshield.
I wanted to give a comparison of a 2006 ST 1300 vs the 2021 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 vs the Yamaha Tracer 9 GT for anyone else who might be looking. Just wanted to mention some of the tidbits that might not be obvious. I also posted some pics below of the new bike and also a side by side with the ST.

ST 1300
Pros
  • Weight helps it stay put in the wind and when dealing with semis.
  • Has a large gas tank so you can do long stretches and worry less about running out of gas.
  • Can load up with side bags and top box.
  • 8 degree forward lean.
Cons
  • Heavy when trying to move it around/going slow.
  • Getting older and is missing many of the electronic/safety features on new bikes.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000
Pros
  • Engine is very smooth, I would say even smoother than the ST.
  • A lot of power that is controlled well via the electronics.
  • Something like a 14 degree forward lean which is actually quite comfortable.
  • The brakes really bite.
Cons
  • It being lighter at around 500 pounds, it is buffeted more by wind than the ST.
  • With standard bags Kawasaki recommends you don't use a top box due to stability issues. People do it anyway, but something to consider.
  • No center stand on a chain driven bike.
  • Gas tank is smaller than ST, 5 gal.
  • You will pay MSRP now at $12,600. Bags are not included which adds around another $1,000.
  • This is a minor thing, but since I just washed the bike for the first time, the person who designed the plastic must have been crazy. I have never seen so many nooks and crannies where water and dirt can collect. Like 500% more than the ST. Just nuts.

Tracer 9 GT
Pros
  • Upright sitting position like the ST.
  • 0 degree forward lean.
  • Has center stand.

Cons
  • At least for me, I wanted a more sport bike sport tourer vs an adventure bike sport tourer. The Ninja is one of the few that isn't adventure bike like.
  • Gas tank is smaller than ST, 5 gal.
  • Per user reviews the brakes are kind of soft, not as good as Ninja.
  • You will pay MSRP now at $14,900, but that includes bags.

Attachments

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I’ve been looking at the tracer (not really looking to buy now, just looking)...I suspect the Tracer would be more to my liking because I’m older and more of a touring than sport rider, but the Ninja is quite nice. I like the ST with the Smuggler.

Bike
R1200rt
Whats your definition of scary fast? Low 10's in the quarter mile is pretty crazy fast

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I've loved the Ninja 1000 ever since I rode one on a demo ride back in 2011. I'm sure it's much improved since then. It will be on my short list (as will the Tracer) if I ever decide to replace my ST.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Congrats on the new bike. It's one that I've thought very interesting, even though I doubt I'll ever buy another bike.

For your buffeting issues, try changing your suspension mode. My BMW F800GT has an Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA) that is pretty simplified, but works. It'll change from Comfort to Normal to Sport mode. When I'm coming up on a Semi or have some gusting winds to deal with, I change it to Normal or Sport mode and the bike gets more planted with each change.

Chris

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
For me, The most comfortable and fits me well is 88 CBR1000 Hurricane alsol 02 CBR11000 XX 03 ST1300 are smooth/fast and fairly good gasmilages on cruising speed. And I has all went up to top speed it performed as it designed for! Currently I ride 07 FJR1300 and it's very closer to these bikes as comfort/performing. All these are Great Motorpsychos!!! :thumb:

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
For me, The most comfortable and fixed me well is 88 CBR1000 Hurricane also 02 CBR11000 XX 03 ST1300 are smooth/fast and fairly good gasmilages on cruising speed. And I has all went up to top speed it performed as it designed for! Currently I ride 07 FJR1300 and it's very closer to these bikes as comfort/performing. All these are Great Motorpsychos!!! :thumb:
Yes but which one does the best flying off into the forest? :rofl1:

STOC #
A question of side case capacity. If the 2020 Tracer 900 GT has 20 lit per side, what is the 2021 9 GT? All I see is that it will hold a helmet...
And since the 2020 900 GT increases to 30 lit with the FJR lids, just what is the capacity of the OEM FJR cases? Did Yamaha just make the FJR lids standard on the 2021 9 GT?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
The T9 panniers look very different than the T900 panniers… highly doubt the FJR pannier lids would fit the T9.

Last edited:
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
A question of side case capacity. If the 2020 Tracer 900 GT has 20 lit per side, what is the 2021 9 GT? All I see is that it will hold a helmet...
And since the 2020 900 GT increases to 30 lit with the FJR lids, just what is the capacity of the OEM FJR cases? Did Yamaha just make the FJR lids standard on the 2021 9 GT?
The Tracer GT bags are called city bags and have 22 L capacity. The FJR's are 30L. The Tracer 9 looks to be somewhere in between but capacity not given.... by comparison, the Versys LT bags are 28L and a bit odd shape like the Tracer 9's.

Top Bottom