40/28 amp St1100 Alternator - Please help me

Quick update I did manage to get the alternator from Modesto with the help of a USA member of these boards, thanks Patrick

My old alternator was still turning and charging but had 2 cracks in the outer case and the armature was just starting to pick up (catch)
on the stator. With the casing having the cracks it was difficult to split the cases as you could not get any leverage without the
possibility of further damaging the case. My answer to this was to stick the whole alternator in the freezer overnight and the next
morning filling the cupped end with boiling water (seal or drive end) 4 or 5 times as the heat obviously absorbs into the alternator
casing very quickly and then with 3 screwdrivers pushed into the slightly open joint of the case and supported in a vice I was able to
knock the armature and rear case away from the front case.
I have read that the problem is with the steel core rusting and popping the case however I have now stripped 2 alternators and with
both I found the aluminum case was forming a heavy crust between the steel core and casing, I mention this as someone may know of a product
designed specifically to slow down this encrustation happening. I have spoke to a friends friend and he has recommended taking a couple
of thousands of an inch of the armature to increase the clearance between the stator and armature which he is doing for me.
I will post again if I get it working

Top Bottom