40 amp Alternator Install

Bike
05' ST1300
STOC #
Just completed a write-up on my own unassisted installation. The pdf file will not upload, so call 714-809-1threetwo4 or write tim@continentalsigns.com if you get stuck. I used the installation kit available on request from John OoSTerhuis (PM John)

Edit 2:
Please PM or email John, he is a member here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, Tim. You're in good company now.

Since early 2001, 120 fellow STriders have successfully upgraded 121 beloved ST1100s using my tool kits. And I now have recorded a total of 170 known ST1100 40amp alternator upgrades.

To borrow a STOC 40amp Alternator Upgrade Tool Kit for just the price of postage, go here (must register) and email me per the instructions:
ST1100 40amp Alternator Upgrade Tool Kits

For any of the loaner tools/kits: Honda ST1100 and ST1300 Special Tools and Toolkits

Regards, John

hi john oosterhuis i live in aus just joined up have a 2000 mod st with no charge to bat get up in the morning start the bike its charging short ride not charging brushes in alternator can i take tank out to acces screws to replace brushes thanks

Hi Lawrence. I haven’t done any repairs to a 40amper. You should probably start a new thread on this in order reach folks with knowledge/experience on this. Plus this thread is over five years old.

That said, I’m sure you’ll have to pull the fuel tank and swingarm to get at the back of the alternator. At that point I’d think it would be simplest to just pull the unit out to work on. Be careful not to disturb the Alternator Shaft Assembly when you do that, so the split gears remain engaged with the flywheel.

But I’d sure troubleshoot all the wiring first, before I went to all the effort required to get at the brushes and rectifier and regulator assemblies on the back of the alternator! I suspect that the problem lies elsewhere. Check the security of the alternator main output wire’s connector (the post on the back of the alt with the rubber cover). No plastic removal required, centerstand up, sidestand down.

Again... start a new thread on ‘40amper charging problem.‘

John

Last edited:
hi john get up in the morning start the bike its charging 14,44 across battery terminals ok? go for a ten minet ride stops charging drops on display. have cleaned all connections except wires on back of alternator will take the tank out today and check the wires

Voltage regulator getting hot, not functioning correctly?

I see reference to a tool kit for alternator replacement. Is the kit still available? Once the travel ban is lifted I should be the proud owner of a new to me '94 ST.

Back
Top Bottom