40 Amp upgrade completed

Bike
'95 ST1100
STOC #
I have a '95 ST1100. Purchased it 3 years ago with 32,000 miles and now have 63,485 miles on it. Just got back from MLR, with a side trip through Dallas, TX, and rode the Cherohala Skyway and Tail of the Dragon on my way back to Allentown, PA.

Over 3600 miles and the bike ran flawlessly. So why upgrade the alternator?

Farkles :D I would like to add more lights front and rear. Also been wanting heated gear for the days when the mercury stays in the 40 degree range. So I purchased a used alternator from Sirbike on Ebay. It came off an '01 with 30K miles. It was complete, just needed to be plugged in and it was ready to go.

Well I have some mechanical skills. I change my oil, brakes, wired an auxilary fuzeblock and have attended three tech days at Randy's garage mahall :D

However this project looked way beyond my abilities so I was looking for some help. As fate would have it, I have met Ace Dantinne through this site and in person at MLR. He sounded very enthusiastic about tackling this project with me. I was set to go.

Talked to JohnOo about getting the tool kit to complete the job. Received the tool kit and tackled the job yesterday.

Every thing was going smoothly, plastics came off, oil drained, gas tank removed, rear wheel removed, swing arm removed and old alternator pulled out, etc. Now came the difficult part, installing the 40 amp. Both Ace and I had read, reread, and printed out instructions from Mike Martin's web site. We were prepared.

However the 40 amp was not cooperating. We pulled off the split gears from the alternator, put the Lewis pin in and began the install. After 5 unsuccessful attempts at seating the housing we decided to give John Oo a call. He cheerfully acknowledged that we were doing everything correctly, suggested we stop for a break and then get back to it. Perhaps it was John's reassurance that we were doing every thing correctly that gave us faith. Well we tried again, and with Ace wiggling that alternator up, down and side to side it finally slid into place. :D:D:D Ace said to me "you pull out the Lewis pin, I'm leaving the garage because I don't want to hear that you can't get it". The pin came out after a couple of tugs.

Then we proceeded to get the body of the alternator installed. Included in John's tool kit is a video of how to get the alt. past the frame and into place. It just looks so simple that it makes you laugh. I tried, couldn't get it. Ace tried, couldn't get it. I went back to the video and couldn't believe how simple it seemed. I came back and grabbed the alt and it went right in :D

So other than taking an extra two or three hours of fiddling to get the gears lined up, it was a pretty straight forward job. I had a OEM fuse block for the re wire job, Sirbike from Ebay sent me that for no extra charge. :) Cut out the old wires to remove some clutter and only needed a very short piece of 10 gauge wire to tie it into the new fuse block.

Fresh oil, install the gas tank, swing arm, rear wheel and plastics I was ready to leave at 9PM.

Thanks to John and all the others that have gone before on this 40 amp upgrade :bow1:

Special thanks to Ace for his guidance, help and everything he did to make this happen. :bow1::bow1::bow1:

ps. Mrs. Ace, thanks for keeping us hydrated and fed. :)

Welcome to the club!

I too had some "issues" getting my 40 amp in place, but just as you did; taking a break and coming back to it was all it needed.

Enjoy the current!!

hmmm.. apparently the metal on 40 amp alternators soften with time.... LOL... doesn't fit, give it a little time to soften up...

Glad everything went fairly well. Now you have no reason to miss those 25 degree day RTE's! Check warm n safe for there Gen 2 jacket and controller deal before they run out of them. Pretty sure I got the dual controller and jacket delivered for $189. And I was too dumb to enter a "club name" when I ordered to get the discount.

1 day start to finish and on the road again! Awesome job Tom! You're getting me psyched to do mine!

Thanks for the kudos. One day, yea, 7am to 9pm. Plus with out Ace I would still be struggling to get the Amp installed.

It is definitely a doable job, just make sure you have someone to help (that is very mechanicaly inclined), get the tool kit from John Oo and read all that is written about the upgrade.

Looking ahead to pay it forward. Let me know when you plan to do the job, I could possibly assist :)

Congratulations, Tom. Sorry to hear you had a bit of a time getting the Alternator Shaft Assembly seated, but that's just another example of another contribution to the body of upgrade knowledge/experience. Nice to talk to you on the phone... it'd been a while since I've been asked for a 'consult.' :)

Your upgrade was number 101 with one of the STOC tool kits, and the 148th upgrade that I have info on. You're in good company. Enjoy your new amps. But I have to warn you that there's no known cure for electrical farkle fever. :)

Regards, John

1 day start to finish and on the road again! Awesome job Tom! You're getting me psyched to do mine!

ChrisK, lets do it. Get the parts needed. JohnsOo kit is sitting in my garage right now. Tmoney,(tom) & I were ready. 3 of us can nock it out in less X. What say U?
U don't live that far away. I riden ST to Maine in 1 day. have a place for U to stay.

Congratulations, Tom. Sorry to hear you had a bit of a time getting the Alternator Shaft Assembly seated, but that's just another example of another contribution to the body of upgrade knowledge/experience. Nice to talk to you on the phone... it'd been a while since I've been asked for a 'consult.' :)

Your upgrade was number 101 with one of the STOC tool kits, and the 148th upgrade that I have info on. You're in good company. Enjoy your new amps. But I have to warn you that there's no known cure for electrical farkle fever. :)

Regards, John

John, many thanks, so should be note on instructions, if all else fails call John. Right after talking to U. In it went. Tom & I just looked at each other. Lot of X spent cleaning and lube applied. Bearings, swing arm, and rear wheel hub.
Thanks again, Ace

ChrisK, lets do it. Get the parts needed. JohnsOo kit is sitting in my garage right now. Tmoney,(tom) & I were ready. 3 of us can nock it out in less X. What say U?
U don't live that far away. I riden ST to Maine in 1 day. have a place for U to stay.

Well Ace (and Tom) that is a mighty kind offer... its more the time and money than the job itself that is keeping me from pulling the trigger. That and I think, once the bike is apart why not set up the aux fuse box, the stebel, the power outlets, the gerbing dual controller, the hid driving lights, the led fog lights, the 4 way hazards, the led rear brake lights.... and price tag more than doubles!

But I'll keep y'all in mind when the time does come!

Congrats Tom!

Kinda makes you feel like there isn't ANYTHING you can't do now doesn't it? ;-)

I have a big head to start with :D (XXL) helmet size. But yea, it feels great. Also feels great knowing that there are such a great group of people on this forum and other forums too.

Thanks a lot

Here's the part (Alternator Shaft Assembly) that Tom had some trouble seating into the engine case/split-gears engaging the flywheel:

John

I had an issue getting the new alternator in on my '95. The tab welded to the crossmember that holds the brake line has an L shaped profile, with the small end sticking down. That little protrusion was enough to prevent the alternator body from getting past the crossmember. I had to grind that sucker down to get the alt in. After that L profile was flat, she went right in! I did hit it with some Rustoleum to prevent corrosion.

Oh, and I just got done doing my timing belt change last weekend. The only pain was the radiator. Other than that, working on this bike is really not very difficult.

After being down for a couple of seasons,I just got a box full of 40 amp parts! Every time I take the ole girl down to the gas station to fill tires and put fresh gas in her,(don't dare take her an further,as Ive been stranded a 100 miles from home when the 28 amper died) I miss her.She will live again!

Back
Top Bottom