74,000 miles on my 2001 ST1100 what to watch for

Bike
01 Honda ST1100
I just turned 74,000 miles on my 2001. 55,000 of those miles are mine and we have enjoyed a relatively problem free number of years with the ST! I have so far encountered these issues :
* red wire bypass issue
* fuel cut off removal
* fuel pump issue/replacement with aftermarket pump plus fuel regulator
* real end rebuild (spline)

Looking forward has anyone had any particular issues with the ST I should be aware of?

Last edited:

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Timing belt maybe coming up for change.
Coolant hoses and aluminium elbows below the carbs, those started to have that coolant odour

I am sure there are other things to consider, but that has been my experience so far.

Like you, I've done the red wire bypass, and have an aux fuel pump inline, the OEM pump is working now since the failure, but aux is on standby.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Go through the brakes calipers and get the pistons cleaned, replace the brake pad slider pins.

Check all wheel bearings for any roughness.

Replace the brass pivot in your brake lever , A little clean and lube of the lever while there.

Clean and lube the gear shift mechanism under the engine.

Clean turn signal switch and kill switch.

Lube the kickstand pivot

Everything but the first item is very minor but will make a noticeable difference.

Bike
2010 ST1300
PA has a winter layup so you have lots of time to do work on the bike. Larry would have you go over the bike from stem to stern, checking and torquing everything. Even though you have had the bike for a while, go to the blue band atop this page, >Articles>General>Maintenance Items for a New Old Bike. That should give you a pretty comprehensive list

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Aside from above comments............

* Dampers and inserts in rear drive.
* At 74k miles, your rear shock is shot, you'll need to replace it.
* I assume you been changing out brake, clutch, fork and diff fluids every 2 years.

Bike
2000 ST1100
These bikes were built like a Honda car.....reliable and trouble free. Just do your routine maintenance and you will be rewarded. Btw mile 82,127 miles and has been pretty much trouble free.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
These bikes were built like a Honda car.....reliable and trouble free. Just do your routine maintenance and you will be rewarded. Btw mile 82,127 miles and has been pretty much trouble free.
That whole era of hondas was like a timex watch. Ive had two honda bikes and two cars. That whole early 90’s series id remarkable. I really am in shock that the only real repair ive had to do is fork seals and a valve cover gasket.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
the number one issue that can't be ignored are the coolant hoses under the carbs. Guaranteed to swell and split given enough time, and leave you stranded on the side of the road with no coolant left in the engine. Yours is old enough that its past due, unless the previous owner happened to do that job before you bought the bike.

OP
OP
cmuthler
Bike
01 Honda ST1100
PA has a winter layup so you have lots of time to do work on the bike. Larry would have you go over the bike from stem to stern, checking and torquing everything. Even though you have had the bike for a while, go to the blue band atop this page, >Articles>General>Maintenance Items for a New Old Bike. That should give you a pretty comprehensive list
Thank you for directing me to the article.

Top Bottom