A dilemma: Restore my ST or buy a different bike

Hello! I have a Sparkling Silver Metallic 1991 ST1100 with about 64K miles on it. I keep going back an forth over whether to sell it or spend the money necessary to return it to excellent condition. In it's current condition, I'm guessing it would go for $1250 to $1500. I wouldn't want to go below $1250. It wouldn't be worth the time and effort. I'd just keep it until I had time to do something with it. On the other hand, if I were to spend $3-4K, it would be a very nice bike. There's nothing seriously wrong with it. I would want to get the suspension done. A Corbin or similar seat would be a necessity. The stock seat is atrocious. 40 amp alternator upgrade and whatever else I could do while it was apart. Adjustable MadStad windshield because why not. So less than the cost of something like Gen 2 FJR1300 which is most likely what I would replace it with. I can't make up my mind. I really like the ST and I know I would like it even more with proper suspension and seat that doesn't double as a torture device. On the other hand, maybe I'd like something newer even better.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Excellent questions (all): In my case, I am the owner of a lower mileage (now at 45K miles) 94 ABS bike- the paint was old with lots of swirls and crazing, wheels were pretty scratched up due to the prior owner using the metal spoons and no tire machine to put the tires on- 40A upgrade was already done. I have a Saddlemen seat on it- highway pegs, etc. I did spend $1900 to get it all repainted and powder coat the wheels in black, new wheel bearings, and reassembly of it all back in 2018. Was it worth it? To me, it was since it’s a lower mileage bike and I still plan to keep it for a while, if not indefinitely. It prevents me from spending $20K + on a new GW.

Now, to your bike…higher mileage (but not by much), sounds like it might need some mechanical and paint refurbishment (you didn’t indicate if the paint on the bike and wheels is deteriorated). You have the 28A alternator, so if it’s working it isn’t critical to replace it, but many here would. I would say (and here’s my official answer) if you’re going to put $3-4K into the bike, you still have a bike worth these days maybe $2K on the high end (as much as I don’t like saying that). What it comes down to is how much you like and will continue to like a 1991 ST that’s been refurbed vs something newer (and I would assume lower mileage). In the For Sale section here, there’s a 2006 ST with 2K miles on it for $5000, which to me would be money well spent vs putting $3-4K into your existing ST. If the money requirement was less, say $1000-1200, I might be more likely to say do it. There are many used bikes for sale at decent prices. The only thing that’s an unknown when buying used is how the prior owner maintained and used (or abused) the bike that would replace the ST.

Other opinions will vary widely I’m sure.
Best of luck in your decision.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
My only input is if you decide to restore it, make sure you have the skills, time, desire, tools and place to do it, else it will just be another non-runner stuck in the corner of the garage that your kids will someday have to deal with.

Bike
St1300PA
I have a 2003 st1300 picked it up 9 years ago for 6k , I put 80,000 miles on and it has 94,000 now , I was hoping to crack 100 but code 25 showed up , after checking the bike out it needs a new ecu , I changed the oil & filter every 4K but on a cold start up blue smoke from the r/s pipe which annoys me because I always took care of it, my fix was I picked up a 2017 st1300p I’m putting on the Farkles now, I loved my old bike but I got moneys worth even though I’m disappointed in it , remember it’s not how much you spend it’s how much you use it that counts.

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Is it the time or the money puts you off? If you were a bike restorer, it wouldn't matter, you'd do it regardless. If you get another bike, you may find yourself needing to spend time and money on it.... Eeeny meeny miny mo............ :rolleyes:

OP
OP
jwumpus
I'm one of those people who likes to keep things running and the money one way or the other isn't too big a deal. The issue, I think, is that I've never ridden an FJR or other large sport tourer so I don't have a good basis for comparison. I have ridden an ST with properly sorted suspension and seat. That was quite nice. I have the skills but I really doubt that I have the time. That may be the deciding factor. I tried to get it into a shop once and the guy just winced and said "Oh, god. All that plastic...".

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
The ST1100 is a great bike, no doubt.
If you are thinking of restoring it as a piece of art, this bike is worth it.
But not so much on a rational side if you think of the time you are going to spend to work on it.
And not riding!
With a budget of 4K/5K you can get something more actual, with a lower mileage and maybe more enjoyable to ride for the next season.
It's all about love & soul, not the money I think.
My 2 cents...

OP
OP
jwumpus
I'm not really concerned about the mileage. I have other bikes to spread the miles around and I know the ST is capable of a lot of miles.

OP
OP
jwumpus
Is it the time or the money puts you off? If you were a bike restorer, it wouldn't matter, you'd do it regardless. If you get another bike, you may find yourself needing to spend time and money on it.... Eeeny meeny miny mo............ :rolleyes:
I'm 6' 4" and 280. I've resigned myself to spending money on any bike I buy.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I could buy pretty much (within reason) any bike I want.
I own 4 ST1100 daily runners in good shape (and 3 parts ST1100s) because it is the bike I want.
They are pretty simple to work on, they go as fast as a man needs to go, and can be made very comfortable with a little money.
A new one is going to cost at least $10,000+ - imagine putting half that much into a ST1100 if it is mechanically sound - that would go a long way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jwumpus
I could buy pretty much (within reason) any bike I want (and 3 parts ST1100s).
I own 4 ST1100 daily runners in good shape because it is the bike I want.
They are pretty simple to work on, they go as fast as a man needs to go, and can be made very comfortable with a little money.
A new one is going to cost at least $10,000+ - imagine putting half that much into a ST1100 if it is mechanically sound - that would go a long way.
I really like the ST and I'm inclined to keep it. I was just pricing Gen 3 FJRs because I want all the neat stuff they have if I'm going to go to the trouble of buying another bike. Significantly more than I would spend on the ST. I will mainly be using it for a 100 mile round trip commute when I have to go in to the office and the occasional very long trip. I really don't know how I'm going to find the time to do the work, though. Does anyone sell time? I'd like to buy several pallets of it.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I'd been thinking about keeping my 2002 ST1100 non abs long term or selling it and getting another bike. My ST had a Russell seat, suspension upgrades, 139,000 km on it, a great touring platform, running well, very reliable and paint was like new. In 2022 the ST was due for another round of 10 year hose replacements, the usual 2 year fluids, maybe a timing belt. Looked at all the pros and cons and then sold it spring 2021 after purchasing a 2019 Tracer GT.

Keeping or selling your ST is not a right / wrong type of decision. Only you can determine how you ride, where you ride, what you want to spend initially and ongoing to keep it on the road. If you do your own work the ST is basically an analog bike and relatively simple to work on, plus you have unparalleled forum support here vs. most other bike specific forums.

Bike
1991 Honda ST 1100
I'm one of those people who likes to keep things running and the money one way or the other isn't too big a deal. The issue, I think, is that I've never ridden an FJR or other large sport tourer so I don't have a good basis for comparison. I have ridden an ST with properly sorted suspension and seat. That was quite nice. I have the skills but I really doubt that I have the time. That may be the deciding factor. I tried to get it into a shop once and the guy just winced and said "Oh, god. All that plastic...".
if you decide to part ways with it, AND wanna part it out PLEASE keep me in mind for the crash bar covers and more importantly the mirror side marker lens and covers.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Maybe do both. buy the FJR and fix up the old bike. Ride both for a while. Then you will know which is better for you. It will be easy to off load the one you do not like later or you will like and keep both for different reasons.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I’m going to be cruel! If you don’t have the 40 amp upgrade, your bike will be a doorstop in a couple of years and worth next to nothing.
There is a fellow on the forum that makes the adapter plate for the 40 amp upgrade and he’s got a limited number available (10) and I believe he’s selling them for around $70 US and the alternator you can get for $135 on eBay. You can do the upgrade with all the parts for around $400 plus a 8 hours labour. Once the upgrade is done your bike will be worth $1500-$2000.
I have test driven the FJR and I prefer the ST. Once you put a new rear shock, and RaceTech fork springs, your handling will be comparable to the FJR. Add a cruise control from McCruise and you will be rocking.

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Although he's a cruel so and so, kiltman is on the money. I don't have a calculator at hand but I would think you could do all the important parts like brakes, suspension and safety bits for not too much cash or time to get it done. And since the fellow has only 10 left of the 40amp plate on hand, order one of those and put it and a 40 amp alternator on a shelf for next winter.

Ride and then ride some more. Keep riding and enjoying the bike. Then over the winter, replace the alternator.

And Uncle Phil is a mean man for reminding everyone about his abundance of riches... FOR SHAME!

OP
OP
jwumpus
Maybe do both. buy the FJR and fix up the old bike. Ride both for a while. Then you will know which is better for you. It will be easy to off load the one you do not like later or you will like and keep both for different reasons.
I like this idea but I am out of space. Clearly, the solution is to expand the garage!

Top Bottom