ABS Diagnostics and Repair Question

Bike
2001 ST1100
I watched a you tube video on how to check for ABS fault codes on an ST1100. I did the procedure and get fault code 5 - frt wheel speed sensor system. Im not sure if this is an artifact from a previous issue that has been repaired or if it is currently an issue. Does anyone know how to clear this fault code? If the condition that set the code still exists then the code should come back. If the condition is gone then the ABS should work as normal.
In the short time I’ve had this bike the ABS light has not come on at all while riding. Lights seem to operate normally, come on when started and goes off as soon as you start moving. I have, once, tried a hard stop to see if I could activate the ABS and they did not activate. I thought I experienced a little brake fade but I’m still getting accustomed to this bike. Otherwise I’ve not experienced anything that has caused me concern. This bike is much heavier and more top heavy than my last bike, a CTX700. It braked well and I could easily activate the ABS at will on that bike. I figured I would wait until I got new tires on the ST, which are now on but I haven’t had the opportunity to try the ABS again.

Does anyone have any input on this? TIA, Bill.

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
To clear the diagnostic trouble code, press the ABS/TCS indicator light switch (on the pocket fairing) while the ABS indicator light 1 is flashing the trouble code. The code will be cleared when the ABS indicator light 1and ABS indicator light 2 turn on.
Make sure your battery connections are clean and tight and that the battery is in good condition. Check the gap between the sensor and the tooth ring is .5mm. Check for dirt on the bottom of the sensor.

OP
OP
Phyer Phyter
Bike
2001 ST1100
This worked, thank you for the information. I had to wait until I got home from work. I might be able to get out for a short jaunt after supper. Severe thunderstorms are predicted tonight.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The fault code can only be generated if it fails once ABS is active. When you set off, the Abs light is on and it goes out shortly after moving - once it has got a steady stream of signals from front and rear sensor.

If the sensor is faulty, the system cannot arm itself so it cannot report a fault code! The original fault code may have been caused by a stray wire strand attached to the magnetic face of the sensor.

I have a thread on here somewhere on how to test sensors in this situation I'll see if I can find it.

----

The first time ABS kicks in, it feels rather like an electric drill set to hammer action under your fingers. It's actually nothing like that in fact , but that was my first thought in the "What the hell...." instant that I first felt it.

The brakes are so well balanced that they rarely activate the Abs in my experience. Only when testing.

Try this

Last edited:
Top Bottom