ABS issue solved

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Howdy gang,
In the ongoing saga of my ST1300 repair from my garage collapse, after I got it running and took a test ride, I got an ABS fault. Then, it developed a worsening squeak from the front end. My garage is not fully reconstructed (Oh the joy of living in a rural area) but it was at least covered with a partially complete roof. So after a long lapse, I grabbed my ST1300 out of my neighbor's garage and started playing around with it. It turns out the ABS ring was tweaked. I don't object to buying new parts but those are far away. So I hammered and tweaked that ABS ring for 1/2 an hour or so with vise, hammer, and pliers; and got it much closer to the original shape. With trepidation, I fitted everything back together and voila' it worked. I got it close to the original shape but it definitely wasn't perfect. Last issue is the weeping fork seal. I turns out my Risk Racing Seal Doctor is at my other house. Since I'm heading there soon, I'll wait and grap that for the hopefully final fix. I'd still like to get in a ride up and down Beartooth Pass before snow flies.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Hey good job! Great to see ingenuity and resourcefulness come in for successful repair rather than toss & replace methodology that's so common nowadays. :)

What caused ring to be so bent up in 1st place?

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well done. This will be the pressed steel slotted ABS pulsar ring that was introduced with the 2008 model. Make sure that at no point in the revolution does it catch the sensor. Those sensors are fiendishly expensive.

OP
OP
jonz
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Hey good job! Great to see ingenuity and resourcefulness come in for successful repair rather than toss & replace methodology that's so common nowadays. :)

What caused ring to be so bent up in 1st place?
I didn't realize that the ABS ring was impacted by the garage collapse until the test rides.

OP
OP
jonz
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Well done. This will be the pressed steel slotted ABS pulsar ring that was introduced with the 2008 model. Make sure that at no point in the revolution does it catch the sensor. Those sensors are fiendishly expensive.
The squeak I heard was the ABS ring barely rubbing the sensor. Thankfully, no fatal damage to the sensor.

Top Bottom