Add me to the coolant leak group, is this a known warranty item?

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
so the mech. changing the tire at the shop (non-honda dealership) said he noticed some dried coolant on my engine block, so went to pick up the bike last nite and he showed me where it was, lo-and behold dried cooland on the front of the block, not sure where it is coming from he said, he tried to look with a mirror extension tool and was not able to locate the source...

question...is this a known issue that the dealers will cover under warranty? my bike is about 3.5 months old with about 25k on it...

Bike
2005 ST1300
As far as I know it is covered under warranty. From what I remember many of the folks who have had this was a result of a loose hose.

OP
OP

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
i have read a few of the reports on here about what it was, loose hoses could be it, but i notice that those hose coolant leak seems to be from the sides or coming out of the side fairing, mine is actually dried coolant on the front of the engine block and seems to go around the clutch cover...

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Usually what happens is the coolant runs down the front of the engine, around the clutch cover and then falls into the bottom of the Tupperware, leaking out where it can.

--Mark

Mongo

Man, WV
The Honda tech told me the front block coolant leak was a water pump gasket, he replaced it while doing the recalls. It was under warranty and it has never leaked again.

I am new here and would like to say Hi!
I just bought a 2004 ST1300 and it has a slight coolant leak. I have removed lower fairings and front piece and tightened the lower hose but leak appears to come from pump gasket and around pump. Any ideas and possible help with fairing upper removal (pics maybe?) I also can not get the plastc retainer out where the lower fairings attach to uppers around the shin area (small plastic cap looking connector).
Thanks , Mike :bow1:

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth
fifer said:
I am new here and would like to say Hi!
I just bought a 2004 ST1300 and it has a slight coolant leak. I have removed lower fairings and front piece and tightened the lower hose but leak appears to come from pump gasket and around pump.
fifer, much has been written about coolant leaks. If you use the search feature, I'm sure you'll find enough reading to keep you busy for days. Here are a couple threads to get you started. Read these, and any threads/links they refer to;

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6548
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6684

While your situation could indeed be a pump gasket leak, experience has shown that in a good number of cases, it's actually hose clamps on the hoses up on the T-stat housing. See the threads above. Post up, or send a PM, if you have more questions.

STOC #
At the lower right front of the engine block there is a weep hole for the water pump seal. You can see that by viewing through the same opening you look through to see your engine oil site glass.

Steve18, yours looks like either a hose leak or a water pump cover gasket leak.

Any of these leaks are covered under warranty.

Neil S.

Neil , and all, Thanks for the info. I just talked to Honda and bike was purchased new in 05 , so warranty is still good to july 08 , WOO HOO!! :headbang:
They have ordered a pump and gasket.
I love this bike. I will submit some photos of my Vista Cruise install on another thread.
Thanks All!
Mike

Keith_UK

.. just add pasties
Cornwall in the far south-west of England, UK
Bike
ST1300 Pan-Euro
STOC #
I've had this problem too, since way back in November '05. I notified my STealer's mechanic, Jason, at the time; even sent him pics (via e-mail), suggesting that he fixes the prob at the 8,000 service stage sometime this Spring.

8K service occurred in early June this year, but the STealers said there was no evidence of a leak, so they took no action whatsoever.

Now to the present: Just a couple of weeks ago, when I was on a tour and about 800 miles from home, the leak returned BIG TIME (see pics). I showed these to the STealers last Thursday, Aug-31. They're no longer 'in denial', of course, as a result of seeing these pics; and mentioned that they would use them, as firm evidence to Honda UK, to ensure that the fix is done under warranty.

I am booked in for a 12K service this coming Tuesday, Sep-12. The leak will be remedied at the same time (I hope! :rolleyes:)

Attachments

Top Bottom