advice on bike to bike radio system

looking to purchese a pair of bike to bike radio systems, and need a bit of advice.

I don't need a super complex system, and battery power is a requirement. I have been looking at Autocom, and Starcom, I considered a Chatterbox set but have read to many negative comments about wind noise and quality of the HJC system.
Also, What sort of transciever is needed, I think autocom had Kenwood units listed, but I think they were about $200 each, which seems a bit steep. lots of small radios like that around, just a bit confusing.

I'm no help

I have absolutely nothing to offer, but it's a good topic and I'll be following it. I'm starting to look a the same thing.

I use the IMC MIT-100 intercom system but you can't power the intercom from batteries unless you hook it to the 12V battery on the bike.

However if you do have this system then bike to bike FRS/GMRS is a snap provided you stick with ones they support. They support Midland, Audiovox, and I think Cobra too. The intercom kit includes the push to talk button and has a hook up for a two way radio. You plug the radio into the unit, turn it on, press the button, and talk. Done.

Not sure if it is that easy with Starcom but I know Autocom requires you to buy the push to talk setup seperately.

The MIT-100 is $200. Comes with 4 headsets (2 full face, 2 open/flip face), adaptors for CB's/FRS/GMRS radios, a powerlet adaptor plug, 2 headset extensions, and an input for music, one for two way, and one cellphone input.

Sierra-MC and Whitehorse Press both sell it. Best kept secret in intercoms if you ask me.

Curt

I have the Autcom system and it is great. IF you even think that one day you may want to have sound through your speakers for the: GPS, Cell phone, MP3, Satellite Radio, etc. .... Go with a good system now and your won't regret it later.

After checking into several different models of radios, I decided to go with the Kenwood XLS 3130. I found it on a web site for $125.00. Autocom will push the XL 3131 on you and, it is an excllent radio. You can get a, for lack of a better word, a by-pass battery that will allow you to run the radio offof bike power through the Autocom system. I've never had an issue however, with my 3130 running out of power. I do have to re-charge it in the evening, however.

A lot of the radios that come in pairs in the shrink-wrap packaging do not hold up for a long period of time. Also, in most cases you cannot get them serviced. On the other hand, I have some friends that are using the Motorola talk-a-bout without any problems.

I'm in favor of saving money, but on certain things, I think it might be best to go for a better quality item.

There is another model of radio that Autocom recommends but I forget the name of it - it is in the same price range of the Kenwoods.

I have a friend in Canada that sells the Starcom units and he really believes in them.

Used mine bike-to-bike extensively for the first time in Colorado .. it was super being able to communicate with the other bikers.

Either system would do you just fine - good luck.

Sam

NCSam said:
After checking into several different models of radios, I decided to go with the Kenwood XLS 3130. I found it on a web site for $125.00. Autocom will push the XL 3131 on you and, it is an excllent radio.

The difference between the two radios is that the 3130 is tuned for the business band and the 3131 is tuned for the GMRS (and FRS) band. Use of either band requires an FCC license in the US, although the blizzard of blister-packed GMRS radios has pretty much forced them to give up on enforcement in that band. Neither the manufacturers or retailers have made any effort to inform buyers of the requirements, and I suspect the business band will suffer the same fate.

In any case, there are pretty much two choices for bike-to-bike: CB and FRS/GMRS. CB is good because there's a sizable installed base of other road users (Truckers, 'Wingers, etc.), but its low frequency makes putting together a reasonably efficient antenna system a challenge on a motorcycle. FRS/GMRS is very practical in terms of size, and it's very easy to get additional or replacement radios if you need them out on the road. GMRS radios are allowed to have external antennas which, mounted on your bike, will get you better performance out of the watt or two you get out of a good radio. (Don't believe it when they print "5 Mile Range" on the package.) You do get what you pay for, though. Radios like the TK3101 cost a lot, but they'll perform well and last a long time.

I installed the Autocom for music and GPS last year and will probably expand it this year or next to add bike-to-car (my wife and daughter sometimes chase me on day trips so I can get more riding in).

--Mark

I like on my Autocom that the music will go up or down with my driving speed (Automatic Volume Control).

+1 on the Autocom.

I tried a cheaper unit and found cheaper (unacceptable) performance.

Given a choice between FRS and CB for bike to bike, FRS hands down.

Ray
smile04Bikerwheelie.gif

I'm tellin' ya man. Best kept secret. Talk to Rocket Cowboy on this.

Curt

Artcwolf said:
Collett's are 900MHz and are not compatible with just about any other communicator on the market. That's my only issue with them.

I have the Chatterbox X1 which I will only recommend if you use it like I do. Keep it in the tank bag, use extension cables to connection rider and pillion, and use a filter power adaptor with a powerlet plug to power it up.

The Autocomm seems to be the choice and I might move that direction down the road but, for now, the Chatterbox works fine.
He asked about a simple, non-complex system, I gave him one, charge the battery, stick the system on your helmet, put the speakers in and go. So far it's been me and my wife, son and his wife on his bike and we can all communicate, if I start getting out and riding with others with the Autocomms I guess I will have to upgrade.I did look on the site I gave him and I did see the price of 2 systems bike to bike including passenger sets have gone up $50 since I got mine. Just curious, how much would that run in a Autocomm?

crazykz said:

Curt

I am with Curt, for the base price of an autocom, you can buy TWO MIT units, one for each bike, plus the FRS radios, and you still will not have the autocom parts you need to do what the MIT unit will. I just took my MIT unit on a 3700+ trip, and not a problem. Sound from the XM was clear as a bell at 85+. Even had the wife call me on the cell phone a few times to check in.

Yes, you can add a lot of parts to the autocom to do more things than the MIT 100. But for a good base unit, the MIT 100 is hard to beat.

Here's something to watch for in my opinion... this is a 'problem' on the Starcom 1 Advance, don't know about Autocom or other systems. This is also only a problem if you want to listen to music AND use some other form of comms... two way, phone, intercom etc.

There are two methods to transmit on a two way radio set up. PTT (Push to talk switch) and VOX. VOX is also used if you set it right to mute music when you want to talk. OK, that's great for the intercom, not always for the two way radio.

You're riding along, everything set up, favourite track on the MP3 and you want to talk to your wife on the back (or she to you). So you talk... VOX mutes the music but at the same time activates the Tx on the two way radio. Your personal comment to your wife is transmitted to anyone in range on the same frequency !!!! Just imagine how embarassing that could be - on many fronts :D

Unfortunately, installing a PTT switch doesn't overide the VOX setup. A big oversight in my book.

I appreciate the OP didn't ask about such complexity, but I thought I would mention this drawback in case they ever decided to expand on a set up.

More on topic, I use Midland G7 radios. They come as a pair, cost less than $100, are rain proof, easy to use and so far have been 100% reliable. Starcom make a power mount for the G7 that makes it easy to power off the bike. Both Starcom and Autocom make adapter leads to work with almost any two way radios available. Don't know about the other systems being mentioned.

Regards,

Using Autocom and Icom F21GM radio (think this is the other radio Sam is referring to). Very satisfied.

Burger said:
Here's something to watch for in my opinion... this is a 'problem' on the Starcom 1 Advance, don't know about Autocom or other systems. This is also only a problem if you want to listen to music AND use some other form of comms... two way, phone, intercom etc.

There are two methods to transmit on a two way radio set up. PTT (Push to talk switch) and VOX. VOX is also used if you set it right to mute music when you want to talk. OK, that's great for the intercom, not always for the two way radio.

You're riding along, everything set up, favourite track on the MP3 and you want to talk to your wife on the back (or she to you). So you talk... VOX mutes the music but at the same time activates the Tx on the two way radio. Your personal comment to your wife is transmitted to anyone in range on the same frequency !!!! Just imagine how embarassing that could be - on many fronts :D

Unfortunately, installing a PTT switch doesn't overide the VOX setup. A big oversight in my book.

That is very much unacceptable performance.

Ray
smile04Bikerwheelie.gif

nm6r said:
Burger said:
That is very much unacceptable performance.

Hmm... And you can't even deafen the VOX by turning the sensitivity all the way down?

--Mark

Blrfl said:
Hmm... And you can't even deafen the VOX by turning the sensitivity all the way down?

--Mark

Sure, you can turn the vox all the way down to defeat it but then music won't mute when you speak. I have emailed Starcom about this because I consider it a serious flaw. I think installing a PTT switch should then mean the vox is ignored for the radio Tx.

Regards,

Jeff,

I never said you can't disable vox... in fact, I said you can... so we're in total agreement there. What I said is that if you have vox enabled to mute music when you want to talk to your passenger... that it will also at the same time trigger the Tx on the radio. If you disable vox, then you can use the PTT switch to mute the music... it is still the same effect. In other words... either way, if you want to mute the music to talk to your passenger, you will trigger the Tx on the radio. This is a thread about 2 way radios!

This is a flaw in the system. Sorry if you don't like that, but that's the way it is. It should be possible for you to have a private conversation with your passenger with the music muted, without transmitting over the radio.

If you don't use a two way radio... you won't have yet discovered this flaw in the Starcom.

Just FYI... I have satnav, MP3, phone (bluetooth) and two way radio all connected to my Starcom 1 Advance... the system is not faulty and is working absolutely as designed.

This information is most definitely not incorrect.

Regards,

Last edited:
crazykz said:

Curt

So what can you hook up to this system? Cell phone, MP3, GPS? Does it silence the music when you use the FRS or Cell phone? How good is the audio quality?

Sink

Autocom PTT

Looks like Autocom are in front on this one!

The Autocom PTT has a three position switch underneath the red PTT button. In the central position, there is no speach going out on radios, only to your pillion passenger, if you want to transmit with the switch in the central position, then you press the PTT. No other gadget is affected, radio, GPS and all other farkles that use the intercom system, function fine.

With the switch in the left position you have full transmit and the carrier will not drop until you move the switch back to the centre.

When the switch is in the right position, you have full vox facilities and then of course, your speach is going out over a radio if it is connected.

Like you are commenting on Dave, if they have not got something similar, Starcomm should think about producing one.

TTFN

Back
Top Bottom