Aerostich Roadcrafter

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have received the verbal go ahead on a ‘Stich. I am leaning towards a lined roadcrafter vs the unlined R3. Thoughts from those of you that have either.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
For me the liner is too much warmer in hot weather.
It is easy to add a layer or have a warmer layer when cold. Can’t ditch the liner when it is hot though.
Besides that I don’t find the lined version is much warmer when it is cold.
Lined is easier to get in past the armor at first but after using the R3 a few times my entry past the armor became easy.
The thing that brings these suits much closer in cold weather performance is a rain shell.
Add a heated liner and there is no difference.
This coming from a well equipped freeze baby that has had both versions and will ride between 25 and 95f

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Another thought.
I cringe to think less protection, however, if I do it over I think I’d go with the R3 light as that may be cooler yet while not sacrificing warmth when layered and or heated.
Justifying that if a roadcrafter or R3 is good for track use, and the light is 2/3rds the protection, then I should still be covered well for all but some highly illegal speeds sliding on the road.
I’d still go with the full set of armor for impact protection. I would also not do the R3 light tactical as I’d still want double layer at the knees and elbows.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I have had two R3 Lite Hi-Viz suits. I wear them all year round, even in the hot and humid summer in south east Texas.

Easy to add layers or my heated gear when it gets cold.

I did upgrade to the T5 protection pads and a full back armour. I now where a Helite Turtle Airbag vest over the R3 lite.

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
I have had two R3 Lite Hi-Viz suits. I wear them all year round, even in the hot and humid summer in south east Texas.

Easy to add layers or my heated gear when it gets cold.

I did upgrade to the T5 protection pads and a full back armour. I now where a Helite Turtle Airbag vest over the R3 lite.
Does the R3 come with back armor? From the website description it does not appear to be included.
Called Stich and not included :shrug2:

Last edited:

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Guess I'm late to your thread but I'll chime in anyhow. I live in the south and I rode to Stich to try them all on. I went with the original only because it really made me "feel" safer. It is hot but I always feel protected.
Good luck with your choice. I'm sure either way will be great!

Skip

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
RoadCrafter two-piece with back pad, hip pads, and bib since 1988. 28°F at the Arctic Circle to 115°F in South Dakota. Heated jacket and glove liners and cooling vest, carried on all rides.

My first RC 2pc’s sealed seams gave up after 23 years. I still wear it sometimes... lovely broken in feeling, not to mention the faded cache. Still breaking in the replacement set.

Crashworthy. Love the new waterproof zippers. A well sorted piece of kit. Highly recommended.

John

Last edited:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I have great respect for Aerostitch - I wear one of their Transit two-piece leather suits - but I have always been a bit wary about the one-piece 'Classic' Roadcrafter. When I look at it, I think of one of those boil-in-bag dinners, with me being the dinner. :)

Michael

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
RoadCrafter two-piece with back pad, hip pads, and bib since 1988. 28°F at the Arctic Circle to 115°F in South Dakota. Heated jacket and glove liners and cooling vest, carried on all rides.

My first RC 2pc’s sealed seams gave up after 23 years. I still wear it sometimes... lovely broken in feeling, not to mention the faded cache. Still breaking in the replacement set.

Crashworthy. Love the new waterproof zippers. A well sorted piece of kit. Highly recommended.

John
I wear a two piece kit now and am fed up with zip up the inner liner and then the outer liner for each leg and then the jacket. I had a coworker who rides let me try his Stitch and he instructed me in the proper donning process of holding the open suit in front of me. Stepping into with the right leg and then right arm and in 3 seconds ready to go. Shaving 10+ minutes off my prep time for riding.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have great respect for Aerostitch - I wear one of their Transit two-piece leather suits - but I have always been a bit wary about the one-piece 'Classic' Roadcrafter. When I look at it, I think of one of those boil-in-bag dinners, with me being the dinner. :)

Michael
It’s not that hot. Mine is the most versatile piece of riding gear I own.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
When I get a new one (every 20 years) I wash it twice with Nikwax before I wear it. Breaks it in a bit and makes it more comfortable.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Which one did you get? When you wash it, take it to a laundromat and use one of their larger washing machines. While I did wash my Roadcrafter once in my home machine, I don't like the additional wear and tear on a residential quality machine. Removing the armor from their pockets before washing is not easy, but it is doable (barely).

I have two Roadcrafters, both bought used on ebay. Yes they are warm on hot days, especially on my ST which has a larger Calsci windshield and the wind deflectors. I've gone to a two piece 'Stitch, mostly for its flexibility. It is a lot easier to walk into a restaurant for lunch and hang a jacket over the chair back than find a place for the whole suit (pants stay on).

You stich guys crack me up.....not to hot.....with LD underwear to soak in water,( or the latest best,) place a bag of ice under each arm...…....but if I find one on ebay...lol....its on

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
Which one did you get? When you wash it, take it to a laundromat and use one of their larger washing machines. While I did wash my Roadcrafter once in my home machine, I don't like the additional wear and tear on a residential quality machine. Removing the armor from their pockets before washing is not easy, but it is doable (barely).

I have two Roadcrafters, both bought used on ebay. Yes they are warm on hot days, especially on my ST which has a larger Calsci windshield and the wind deflectors. I've gone to a two piece 'Stitch, mostly for its flexibility. It is a lot easier to walk into a restaurant for lunch and hang a jacket over the chair back than find a place for the whole suit (pants stay on).
I ordered an R3. I can always layer when it’s cold but I’m not gonna ride necked if it’s too hot. Bags of ice Andrew lots of water when it is.

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
I want a orange and silver 2 piece. I like it...
I feel like a cosmonaut. My initial review is very stiff. Literature says it will take a few hundred miles to break-in. I ordered the T6 armor in lue of the T3 for the shoulders, knees and elbows. I’m going to look at the armor pouches and try swapping my armor from my old gear. The T6 armor is not as flexible.
I was worried I had ordered the wrong size but the 40 regular fits my 5ft 7in, 160 pound, 30in inseam body just fine.

Top Bottom