Africa twin vs ST1300

Bike
2009 ST1300
not sure if you're planning on following these guys off the beaten path into the rough gravel / irregular / dirt with your new to you ST1300, but I'd have to say it's a bit like Pauly said to Henry; "don't do it, just don't do it..." these things are pure ____ out of their element which is asphalt. Nobody, not even my dog spelled backwards makes a 730 lb dual sport.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
I had my dirt riding days in the 1970’s.First bike a 250 Can Am. The learning curve is quite steep,& at 18 yrs.old the fear factor is small.Many skills learned the hard way are still instinctual.I now have no muscle mass or flexible bones.
Cheers to those that do.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I'm thinking about trading the ST for an AT. I don't plan on any trail riding, just having the ability to explore dirt roads is very appealing. And yes, like many here, I grew up on dirt bikes.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Interesting comments on the AT being better than the ST1300 in the twisites. Last fall a buddy and I rode the Angeles Crest highway & area. He was on an AT. There was no way he could keep up with me in the twisties with that big front wheel. My buddy has probably put a half million miles or more on 15+ bikes, so he is no novice.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Interesting comments on the AT being better than the ST1300 in the twisites. Last fall a buddy and I rode the Angeles Crest highway & area. He was on an AT. There was no way he could keep up with me in the twisties with that big front wheel. My buddy has probably put a half million miles or more on 15+ bikes, so he is no novice.
If he was riding it like a sport bike he would not keep up. The 21 inch wheel and the higher wider bars requires a different technique much more counter steer and also a more dirt bike stance when in really tight stuff. I am much faster on tight mountain roads on my AT vs my ST but I also used to ride and race dirt and in the desert in my younger days. The longer travel suspension also allows you to ride faster on rougher roads as bumps and potholes don't upset you in the corners also the DCT lets you concentrate on your riding and not having to let your brain deal with clutching and shifting.

OP
OP
Bike
St1300 cb1300 SP1
As a lot of you said there was nothing to worry about.
we have had a couple of weekends riding now.
They did comment why i kept adjusting the seat for the first few hours but once id got it right, it was me asking them why are we stopping.
The ST performed faultlessly i never tried to pass i just stayed on there heels all day with no effort at all.
I,m very happy with it now.
Get the screen sorted and i will be very happy

As much as I love my ST, at 6'4", I think the Africa Twin might just be more comfortable. Also, I'm certain it doesn't get as hot. Holy hell the ST gets hot.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
As much as I love my ST, at 6'4", I think the Africa Twin might just be more comfortable. Also, I'm certain it doesn't get as hot. Holy hell the ST gets hot.
The only heat problem I have had on my AT is the right footage is right against the exhaust. I would find my foot getting hot when riding on the freeway in higher temperatures. Once I figured out what was happening I trained myself to keep my foot about an inch further out on the peg and this solved that problem. I have longer and wider than stock pegs so there is plenty of room.

Top Bottom