After market cruise stopped working

Hello from up in Canada! I have an '03 ST1300 and spring has finally hit. First ride out I noticed my aftermarket electronic cruise control wasn't engaging. Everything worked fine when I parked it in Fall. The power light comes on but it won't "set". Any idea on possible avenues to chase down this gremlin?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Welcome to the forum.

Tell us what CC you have.

Typical issues are, in no particular order:

Blown fuse (may be two)
Loose connection
Inop. speed sensing
Switch malfunction

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
vacuum leak? probably deteriorated hose or end cap on fitting. Happened to me!

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Hello from up in Canada! I have an '03 ST1300 and spring has finally hit. First ride out I noticed my aftermarket electronic cruise control wasn't engaging. Everything worked fine when I parked it in Fall. The power light comes on but it won't "set". Any idea on possible avenues to chase down this gremlin?
If you’re near Winnipeg I might be able to assist you. I’m here until April 28th

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
The manufacturer will have a sequence of control buttons to put it in test mode. From there you can determine which circuit is causing the issue. (Brakes, clutch, speed sensor)
Let us know which electronic unit you have and then we can guide you through the process.

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
Does your brake light still work? I presume you did a good pre-ride check after the winter lay-up :)

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
This is a link to McCruise to get your unit in diagnostic mode.
You may need to dig in deeper to get the right model. They have a trouble shooting guide that is very helpful.

If it’s a Rostra, remove the oblong rubber plug on the servo, it’s located on the top of the unit where the cruise cable comes out. hold the on button and the set button at the same time and turn the ignition to the on position.
Then release both buttons, you’re now in diagnostic mode. There’s a red LED light under the cover hard to see unless it lights up. Engage the front brake, it should light up, press the set button and it should light up, press the deacc. button it should light up. Now comes the tricky part. The bike should be on the centre stand and spin the rear wheel. The light will flash continuously. (This is only for the speed sensor that uses magnets on the rear wheel). The only way to stop the flashing is to turn off the ignition switches. If the light doesn’t flash in any of those tests then that is most likely your problem area.
If your servo is loose, that can also be an issue, it needs to be securely attached.
Check the cable to make sure it’s connected to the throttle cable, it may have come loose.

OP
OP
The manufacturer will have a sequence of control buttons to put it in test mode. From there you can determine which circuit is causing the issue. (Brakes, clutch, speed sensor)
Let us know which electronic unit you have and then we can guide you through the process.
1681660752205.png
Wish I knew the make & model. It was on the bike when I purchased and have yet to find a name. 1681660752205.pngCruise modual.jpg

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Check this out.

OP
OP
I believe that’s the vacuum controlled Audiovox unit. I need to look up where the diagnostic light is
I think you are absolutely correct!! I did change the air filter as part of my spring walk through and I'll bet dislocated the vacumn tube somewhere ....

Top Bottom