After the storm coffee and weather, 28 September

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Joined
Jan 8, 2015
Messages
804
Location
Rockville, MD, USA
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
Good morning everyone

The Cubano roast is hot, in the pot, and ready to enjoy. Have at it, one and all.

"Storm" is far too strong a term to describe what we experienced over the weekend, though I understand it was directly connected to and a result of the nor'easter that affected so many folks. All we got yesterday was a day of intermittent drizzle. Yes it was an all-day event, perfect for growing moss, but if I hadn't been aware of the cause I'd have called it nothing more than a mildly rainy day. Heck, I even sat on the front porch with a couple neighbors yesterday afternoon.

At the moment it's 59°F and mostly cloudy, headed for a high around 68 under cloudy skies but without any rain expected.

It's the final Monday for Old Guy Goof so I'm headed that way in about an hour, maybe less.

The dehumidifier pump cycled automatically yesterday, without my having been there to witness. I think all is well in that department, but I'll put a battery backup in the circuit between the machine and the wall outlet as a safeguard against future repetitions.

Stay safe and well everyone and tell your dear ones you love them. Do it today, NOW, for tomorrow may be too late.
 
Morning all, and thanks Keith, for the coffee.

Would you need a battery backup for the pump if the power was out? I mean the dehumidifier wouldn't be running and it would have to be the "perfect storm" of both ready to defrost and almost full to the top for it to overflow.

11C and cloudy for the ride to work. Rain and 14 for the ride home they say. I'm willing to gamble as riding home wet isn't that bad as I have dry clothes at home. :)

Hope everyone has a great day.

Obo.
 
@Obo ... chicken or egg scenario?
I tend to agree... power outage means dehumidifier won't run.
But what do I know?
So dry here, we have wildfire alerts and warnings, etc.
But it IS cold... 58° and it's too soon for that crap!
Umm... but I'm not complaining, right?
Thanks for the coffee, Keith, i woke up early again but didn't want to risk duplicate postings even though there was no sign yet.
And... four cups of coffee in (made extra' cuz I was up so early), and i still don't have much going on.
I'm looking at selling the GSA (Shocker!) in order to buy a used KTM 390 Adventure, because my dirty skills are just not advancing as fast as I'd like.
The baby BMW g310gs is too underpowered, I think, particularly on the highway. And it runs about comparable in price, and often $1000 more even used.
So I've been researching for a few weeks.
The goal is to sell the GSA, buy a smaller dirty bike, and pocket 10 grand or so to pump into the market.
Get more confidence offroad, and buy a used 1250 in a couple of years.
But we know what they say about "plans".
Yeah, so, it's off to work we go.
 
Good morning and thanks for the coffee , Keith.
I'm glad you didn't get to experience the nor'easter, but it's still going on up here...

It's still raining, and it's 54 rising to 56.
The weather underground predicts that it should stop by noon.

We spent yesterday hunkered down, during the storms.
They canceled yesterday's track day, and also today's car event. We watched a bit of TV. Sports and such. We got to view a little of Saturday's MotoAmerica Superbike race , while they were under a rain delay in NJ.
We also stayed up late to finish watching the Reacher spin-off "Neagly".

Today , I'll head over to the gym for a bit, and look for other things to do.

Enjoy your day,
Steve
 
Good morning and thanks for the coffee Keith!

About 52F here this morning under a dead grey sky. An irritating drizzle is present with some semi-strong wind gusts waving the tops of the pines surrounding my house. Other than a few larger dead branches in the yard there doesn't appear to be any damage from the storm. The rain wasn't as heavy here as predicted but definitely helped decrease the fall drought. The only issue was minor - my internet dropped about 10:00 last night and interrupted my watching football. Since I am recovering from something minor, it just prompted me to go to bed.
Nothing grand planned for today, maybe a small grocery run, maybe not!

Be safe, be careful and don't worry about the small stuff (unless it it is a swarm of angry hornets heading your way).

Scott
 
Morning all! Grey and foggy out there, though the sun and blue sky are doing their best to break through. Forecast is for sunny with cloud and possibly rain towards the end of the day. I may be joining you in requiring a clothing change Obo upon arriving home. Currently 10C (feels like 7C) with a predicted high of 17C. I guess we'll C.

Plus one on Neagly. We're currently binge watching our way through Mobland with Pierce Brosnan and Helen Mirren. Gory in parts but very entertaining.

Spent the weekend doing much of nothing. Actually slept in until 11:30 on Saturday morning after going back to bed once the dogs were fed. I can't recall the last time that happened, has to be....thirty years ago at least? It felt great but then came the guilts about getting nothing accomplished. People talk about Catholic guilt but Protestant guilt about not being productive is a close second.....:eek-2x:

Hope everyone has a great day!
 
Afternoon Keith & All from a cloudy Southern Utah!

Currently it is 71F (high for the day), up from 59F. Winds have been active and blowing from the SW @ 9 to 10mph. The Hurricane Polo is not affecting us much, other than the clouds. We might get a few sprinkles out of it, but time will tell.

Current rain pattern:

20260928_HurricanePolo.jpg

But it looks like Arizona is getting pounded!

I'm not sure what I'll get done today, I'm pretty much out of energy. :old1:

Eggs, bacon, toast, OJ & Lemon Tea for the start of the day. Pepsis on ice for later.

Anyone :bk13:, have a great day on the roads! :hat3:
 
Would you need a battery backup for the pump if the power was out? I mean the dehumidifier wouldn't be running and it would have to be the "perfect storm" of both ready to defrost and almost full to the top for it to overflow.

I wasn't clear. The pump in question is the one built into the dehumidifier. There's a second pump that pumps condensate from the air conditioner to the outside; the dehumidifier drain line dumps into that one. Both items would be on the battery backup.

The real intent for the battery backup is not so much to keep everything running during a power outage, but to provide some buffer against power spikes when power is lost abruptly, or when it is restored equally abruptly. We had such an event last Monday, while Mrs. Fun and I were away. My working hypothesis is that the outage / restoration process (which went OFF / on / OFF / on / OFF .... ON) left the dehumidifier electronics in some sort of transitional / unstable state such that neither the internal pump nor the bucket full cutoff functioned as expected. By putting a battery backup / UPS upstream from the dehumidifier I can buffer it from such events to a considerable extent.

Simplest solution for the dehumidifier is just to set it in a plastic tub of some kind dish pan maybe

Thinking about that as an additional safeguard against flooding, but of course would have to pay attention to it lest it simply fill and overflow- postponing the inevitable flood, perhaps, but not eliminating the threat altogether. And having the unit standing in a pool of water seems less than optimal, even though it's on casters and *should* stand above the rim of the overflow tub so that the electric bits don't ever get dunked...

Actually slept in until 11:30 on Saturday morning after going back to bed once the dogs were fed. I can't recall the last time that happened, has to be....thirty years ago at least? It felt great but then came the guilts about getting nothing accomplished. People talk about Catholic guilt but Protestant guilt about not being productive is a close second.

Wait until you're retired. It's amazing how quickly one can adjust to doing nothing and not feeling guilty about it. DAMHIK.
 
Good morning and thanks Keith. After the storm indeed! We have a nice sunny although a bit chilly morning here. The entire week looks good from the forecast predictions. Only downside is I will have to take up painting again to knock out more projects. Other than that, the yard looks terrible, maybe that will get mowed today.

Stay safe!!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom