Jackets AGATT in the heat

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I think the big issue (at least around here) is the humidity level and where it lands.
They never worked for me as all I became was cool and wet. ;)
I tried an evaporation vest. No bueno, when its 90+ with high humidity, not gonna do diddly. The phase changing stuff seems like a better idea. Ice is too cold, but the phase change compound is 52*F I think? When I first got heated gear I found it an odd feeling to know, well, I should be freezing but I'm not. Simply heating the core (and the hands) seems to trick my body into being warm, even though my head, throat, legs, feet are unheated. I figure the cold vest would do the same, and supposedly the phase change stuff doesn't condense the humidity near as bad as ice. I need about 50 min of cooling. If I can get that it'll be excellent.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
What do you wear under your gear pants? I mean, I wear Levi's, and man does that get warm. Would you wear shorts?
I've worn shorts occasionally, but find I'm uncomfortable after a while, so only for short trips. I also would anticipate a "carpet burn" effect, were I to crash, from the inside of my riding britches' friction against my skin, sliding or tumbling along the ground.
Most of the time I'm wearing Duluth Flex Fire Hose cargo pants. Jeans are hot, they can bunch up, and hold water when wet. Not ideal, although I've done it a lot in years past.
Synthetics make the best liners under my riding pants, like hiking / cycling / running gear. But I'll admit I only wear those on long rides / trips in the summer.

Top Bottom