AIRHAWK Comfort Seating Systems

Keith_UK

.. just add pasties
Cornwall in the far south-west of England, UK
Bike
ST1300 Pan-Euro
STOC #
On another current thread within this forum ["New Russell Saddle"], views have been exchanged about after-market alternative saddles. The Russell Day-Long has received much aclaim from some ST-owner brothers within the thread - and indeed many other previous threads.

As a compromise solution, does anyone have any experience, or heard any positive comments, about AirHawk cushions? I mention this because:-

(a) After a Google search, I have just read a couple of encouraging messages posted to unidentified bike sites - which I attach in MS WORD zipped format (hope this .zip file turns-up here) that AirHawk pads really do work; and

(b) AirHawk cushions appear to be manufactured in the US, http://www.rohoinc.com/recreational/features.jsp, so perhaps you guys are more familiar with the product and the manufacturing company.

Any remarks or observations would be appreciated, as a new AirHawk cushion does not come cheap at ?149.99 GBP, which converts to $282.22 USD

Thanks

KEITH (UK)

Attachments

Greetings,

I used an AirHawk on a couple of my previous bikes, Honda Shadow VLX and BMW 1150RT. Had the large cruiser pad. Didn't work too well on the ST1300, though. May have been the pad style and size, they have quite a few different ones. If it had been a smaller skinnier pad may have worked for me.

I ended up getting a Sargent Cycle Seat for the ST1300 and have been happy with it. Already sold my old AirHawk to an 1150RT rider.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I too got the sartgent seat and what an improvemnet it is. It is more comfortable and looks better than the stock seat too.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Kennedy said:
Well I am hoping all the extra beer will work its way to the right spots. My wife has been shrinking every thing I own in the laundry machines around the waste so not sure if it is going to work yet. :)
Beer is only going to add to your natural Airbag :D You might try those new jeans with the gel pad cheek inserts, make you look even sexier :crackup

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
<<Russell which is custom made for the rider, and second, the Sargent>>

Also Rich of Seattle. If you can ride your butt there he will build a seat to fit it.

Two requirements for my seat; No seams anyhwere near my rear and leather only.
-------------------
This one's got almoST 50K miles on it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I find the stock ST seat very comfortable. Perhaps you all should work on growing a boney ass like me.
:butt1:

fundyrider

Go Your Own Way
Bike
Trophy 1200
STOC #
I bought an Air Vent seat pad shortly after I got the ST and found it didn't help much so stoped using it, but last Fall I took it with me on a couple of extended rides only this time I folded the front part of the pad under about 4in which doubled the thickness of the pad at the horn of the seat and found there it made a huge improvement.
Personally, I find that the downward slope toward the tank is the biggest flaw with the seat, doing this put most of my weight on my butt instead of my pelvic area and I could stay in the saddle longer.
I've now added a piece of seat foam under the front of the seat pad and will experiment with different thicknesses to see if this can be a temporary fix until such time I can buy a seat. It's a little crude looking now but will do a neater job once I settle on a thickness.
Peter :04biker:

Peter, this has been posted several times but a mistake many new owners make (guess how I know?) is setting the riders seat lower in front than in back. I had mine set on the middle in front and the upper notch in back. This happens because the seat is a tight fit when new. Now I have it set middle/middle which makes a big difference. I have talked to some owners who set their seats Middle/lower (this is done easier in warmer weather). :03biker:

STOC #
Like my Airhawk a lot !

He, comfort is such a personal issue....

I haven't put any time (well except 30 min demo ride...) on the stock ST seat, so I can't coment there, but I have used few pads on few long rides....

I tried the gel pad which is not bad if you don't ride in cold temps (mid to low 30's), when the gel hardens and then it just takes up the space in your luggage.....

I've tried the Airhawk few years back, but beside comfort, I felt disconnected from the bike and felt I was sitting to high.

But later I learned that the Airhawk needs to be PROPERLY adjusted in order to be totally functional !

In case this hasn't been explained before.... you put the air in, sit on the bike and start letting the air out, till you almost bottom out.
There is very little air necessary to inflate the cushion. You eliminate the "high" seating position and the floating, disconnected filling.

I've got my Airhawk at the Biketoberfest last Fall and rode home to Chicago, spending 24 hours in the saddle, going the longer way through the Smokies and Deal's Gap.....on my XX. :cool:

In my opinion, it's a great adition for the long rides !

Cheers,

birdie_xx said:
But later I learned that the Airhawk needs to be PROPERLY adjusted in order to be totally functional !

In case this hasn't been explained before.... you put the air in, sit on the bike and start letting the air out, till you almost bottom out.
There is very little air necessary to inflate the cushion. You eliminate the "high" seating position and the floating, disconnected filling.
Just like the instructions that come with the cushion state ;) It worked great for me on the first two bikes, just didn't work for me on the ST1300, may have been because of the style/size I had, a sport pad may have worked better. Regardless, happy with the Sargent now.

STOC #
Just like the instructions that come with the cushion state ;)
Ah yes, but the one I tested a while back belonged to a friend. I had it without the instruction ! :D

And I have the Sargent as well, and it's alright.....

The Airhawk beats it in the long runs though.

Cheers,

STOC #
Airhawk

The Airhawk seems to me to be the most consistently praised of all the seat pads. I think it's key to getting the appropriate model for your application. I have heard that the Airhawks do NOT secure themselves to the seat, that you literally hold it in place with your weight but this might be incorrect. You should make sure about this but it would be a deal breaker for me. I've seen them regularly for $160 (US) from the Manufacturer and several aftermarket companies. Just google "Airhawk+Motorcycle", and you'll see plenty of sites. Good luck with your decision.

alan

R.I.P - 3/20/2011
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have used an Airhawk on my ST1300 for a couple of 5,000 plus mile trips and feel it was money well spent. As mentioned above, the Airhawk does not need a lot of air to work correctly, just enough to barely keep your butt off of the seat. I bought my Airhawk in the middle of my first 5,000 miles trip, the stock seat hurt my butt so bad that I didn't think I would be able to make it home without some kind of help and the Airhawk solved the stock seat problem. On following long trips I kept the Airhawk on all the time and it allowed easy 800 to 1000 mile days in the saddle.
Over the winter I have installed a Sargent seat but have yet to take a ride over 300 miles so don't know how the Sargent seat will treat my butt. Even with the Sargent seat, I plan to take the Airhawk with me on my next long trip out west to the mountains.
The Airhawk and a Throttle Rocker are the best long distance accessories you can buy for your bike.
As I type this message, a light snow is falling outside, guess I won't get to test the Sargent seat this weekend. :)

Top Bottom