Alternator Refurbishment

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
Odd Years
STOC #
I've had a broken alternator come into my possession and I'm wondering the feasability of refurbing the unit.

I just bought a set of brushes years ago and I’m just waiting for a reason to remove the throttle bodies, then I may take mine apart and check the brushes, if they are worn over 50%, in goes the new brushes.
There are checks in the service manual to see if the other components are still in good condition.

I was reading through the process in the book and was pondering about getting a new coil pack but then it would be unknown if that fixed the unit without having a way to test it.

All the alternator wear items were available when I had my alternator failure but they added up to more than half cost of a new one. With no way to spin up the thing and bench test it after rebuilding I opted to replace it with new warranted OEM.

Considering the age of my alternator (90k miles- 18years old) and cost of replacement parts, I too, opted for New Oem alternator. Some piece of mind at my age is welcome.

Back
Top Bottom