Alternator upgrade?

Hi
I have a 1990 ST1100 with a sidecar attached and have had problems with the alternator.
I have picked up a 40 amp alternator and am looking for a simple set of instructions on how to complete the upgrade.
ross

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
If the tool kit isn't available, don't dispair as the tools required are quite basic.

There are three main procedures for dealing with the spring loaded drive gear when doing the change up from 28 amp to 40 amp alternator: Honda (remove oil sump in order to gain access and remove the alignment bolt); "Lewis Pin" system which uses a pin or bolt having a cable or wire attached in order to allow the alignment pin to be removed through the oil drain plug without removing the sump; installing long pilot bolts and use of the swing arm Allen bit to rock the drive back and forth to load the gear 1/2's into alignment. This procedure is often viewed as being more involved than in reality and that can be compounded by those of us who are adherents to each system.

The swap is just a long series of wrenching tasks which can be dealt with, each in turn, and is not rocket science. Ship me a plane ticket and will be pleased to come down to do the task.

In the unlikely event that you spurn my offer, post back regardless and you will find much help as many have done this swap.

HIH

Norm

Ross,

Don't know if you are a FarRider or have heard of us (long distance nuts) but I would check the forum for anybody in your area buddy as there are quite a few ST's on the forum and some located in Sidenee and central NSW that may be able to help. I would also try the "Bike Me" forum also buddy as most members are pretty mechanical and may be able to offer assistance.

Top Bottom