An expensive tip-over in the garage

Bike
2004 ST1300
Decided to move the ST in the garage and as I tried to put it on its centerstand my foot slipped off of it, I lost balance and it went over the other side narrowly missing the big toolbox against the wall.

Damage- I have a scissor lift on the floor that the front wheel landed on and bent the right rotor. At first I thought ok that's not too bad I mean how much could a rotor be $100? yeah right! almost $300 each and should be replaced in pairs. Geez what a stupid mistake :( Still, I suppose it could've been worse without the tip over bars, at least all the tupperware remained intact.

I've always felt the ST is a bit too big a bike for me (6ft 160lbs) and I could've waited for it another 10 years (I'm 37).

So anyone know where I can find a cheap/used rotor, I just need the right side one :(

Sorry to hear of the tip over!

There are rotors on Ebay almost all the time.. They still are not cheap! But you can buy one..

Put a post in the Wanted section, you may have someone with a bent wheel sitting around that still has rotors on it.

Hi,,,after a tip over, is there potential for engine damage etc

Not really. Just right it and that's it. We've had enough tip overs around here I would think someone would have reported something by now.

If the bike is running, there is a tip-over switch that trips and shuts off both ignition and fuel (I think). Once righted, you have to turn off the key for a short period before the bike will start again. From (admittedly limited) experience, I have had no other mechanical problems following a "normal" tip over. Cosmetically, the "wings" take a little beating, but are easily replaced.

Top Bottom