Another dark side option

Bike
05 ST1300
Last year my Hankook was pretty much gone at about 18k miles. I bought a Pirelli but didn't notice till I had it on that the centreline isn't in the centre. Doesn't seem to affect anything just looks a little off.

The tire works really well. It has amazing traction. I cannot make it slip anywhere. I also have the Pilot Activ bias on the front and it starts to fade before the rear. I like this Pirelli a lot better than the kook primarily because its narrower. Steering is also a lot lighter. It's narrower and fits in there with no grinding necessary. In fact there's close to one-quarter inch clearance between the tightest point on the swing arm. But really, really tough to put on the rim. I'm not sure how I'll get it off of there. Required no weight to balance.

New the tread depth was.340 in and at around 6500 miles the tread depth is .253in both at the centreline. According to my calculations, I should get around 25k miles out of it. Not much better mileage than the kook but a much better handling tire than the kook. If no better options show up when this one's rubbed off, I'll put one of these back on. (If I can get the old one off.)

Attachments

• Darky 2.jpg
    Darky 2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Darky 3.jpg
    Darky 3.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 37
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Looks good Art, I changed over to the Darkside this year, going with the Goodyear Triple Tread. It was a bear to install on rim and took 2oz to balance, no grinding but was tight fitting it in.

Last year my Hankook was pretty much gone at about 18k miles. I bought a Pirelli but didn't notice till I had it on that the centreline isn't in the centre. Doesn't seem to affect anything just looks a little off.

The tire works really well. It has amazing traction. I cannot make it slip anywhere. I also have the Pilot Activ bias on the front and it starts to fade before the rear. I like this Pirelli a lot better than the kook primarily because its narrower. Steering is also a lot lighter. It's narrower and fits in there with no grinding necessary. In fact there's close to one-quarter inch clearance between the tightest point on the swing arm. But really, really tough to put on the rim. I'm not sure how I'll get it off of there. Required no weight to balance.

New the tread depth was.340 in and at around 6500 miles the tread depth is .253in both at the centreline. According to my calculations, I should get around 25k miles out of it. Not much better mileage than the kook but a much better handling tire than the kook. If no better options show up when this one's rubbed off, I'll put one of these back on. (If I can get the old one off.)

Does it have the hancook "wiggle"? I switched to good year tt. To get rid of the wiggle

I found it for $75 too. Might be the best choice yet.

What pressure are you running?

I did one Hankook, went lightside for a couple tires, now thinking of going back.

Mike:
I read most of that thread and my conclusion was that because yours was/is a 'winter' tire, the compound is way softer in order for it to remain soft enough for it to grip when its cold out. Mine's considered an all-season and hopefully it will do better. As I mentioned above, right now, it looks like its headed for about 22-25k miles.

P.S. I just read the rest of your thread on the Pirelli. I sure do like the look of that BF that you just put on. Looks rounded and narrow. Hopefully the mileage is there

Last edited:
Looks good Art, I changed over to the Darkside this year, going with the Goodyear Triple Tread. It was a bear to install on rim and took 2oz to balance, no grinding but was tight fitting it in.

Hi Rob, How do you like the 'dark' ride? I remember you were interested and good to hear you made the move.

Interestingly, before I found the Pirelli, I bought a GYTT and it was a full inch wider than my kook so I didn't even try to put it on. Must have been a differnt model cuz there was no way it would ever fit in there. But all the numbers matched, so I dunno.

Any good rides planned this year? I struck out for Yellowknife a couple weekends back, but only got to Whitecourt. A huge storm system rolled in, it got real wet, really cold, and I bailed. Ran out of time and just not tough enuf. I figger, if its ugly and uncomfortable, I may as well be working, at least then I get paid.

Top Bottom