Another Hampton Adventure in the worx

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dave was talking to me the other day about another trip to Colorado Springs this summer. And of course I can't see a perfectly good excuse to ride somewhere go to waste... So, I told Big Bro that WeSTOC this year is in grand Junction. What if we timed it with that? Also, to get there we could take the route my sons and I took back in 2014, that he missed.

Then more talking, namely me wanting to ride up to Mount Rushmore, so now we are looking at a two week ride. Of course, we have plenty of details to work out, but I'm looking for ideas going north of Colorado Springs, to South Dakota, then west thru WY, to see Custer's last stand and The Buffalo Bill Museum along with Yellowstone.

So if anyone has any suggestions, throw them my way so I can check them out and see if they are do-able on such a journey!

So I have set us up with hotels already in a bunch of places.

The ride will start at my place on the 27th of August.

Day 1 ride up Route 66 and stay the night in Laughlin.

Day 2 ride up to see Hoover Dam, then thru Las Vegas, St. George, thru Zion, then Bryce and stay in Tropic UT.

Day 3 Ride up Hwy 12 and on to Grand Junction for WeSTOC

Day 7 Ride out to Colorado Springs and see Dave's son & Family. Ride up Pike's Peak and check out the general area.

Day 10 Ride to Rapid City SD.

Day 11 Check out Mount Rushmore and other stuff in the area and on to Gillette

Day 12 Check out Custer's Last Stand and attractions then on to Cody and BB Museum. Stay in Cody

Day 13 Ride through Yellow Stone & Jackson Hole and stay in Idaho Falls.

Day 14 Ride to Ogden and see family.

Day 15 Ride to Salt Lake, Dave goes West, I go South. I'll stay in Vegas that night.

Day 16 HOME!

Of course, this is 6 months away, Subject to change without notice! :)

Last edited:
Sounds like an awesome trip. Would love to ride all those places some day! Enjoy the planning phase!

steve

Like I always say..."Subject to change without notice!"

We decided to start a week earlier, so I had cancel the hotels already set up and make new reservations.
It is totally amazing how fast places booked up, 6 months in advance!

The ride will now start on the 20th of August, at my place.

Day 1 ride up Route 66 up to Las Vegas, then on to St George to stay the night.

Day 2 ride up to Ogden UT to pick up my wife, who will fly into Salt Lake, then we'll ride to Idaho Falls for the night.

Day 3 Ride through Jackson Hole & Yellow Stone and stay in Cody.

**Day 4 Ride back through Yellow Stone, then up through Beartooth Pass and back down to Cody.

Day 5 Ride out to the Little Big Horn battle field in Montana to check out Custer's Last Stand and attractions and then on to Gillette.

Day 6 Ride to Devil's Tower, then to Mount Rushmore and spend the night in Hot Springs SD.

Day 7 Ride down to Denver, near the Airport.

Day 8 & 9 Drop Chris off at the airport and ride to Colorado Springs. Dave wants to ride the bikes up Pike's Peak.

Day 10, 11, 12, 13 Ride over to Grand Junction for WeSTOC

Day 14 Ride Down 70 to Utah Hwy 12 and stay in Tropic.

Day 15, Ride down thru Bryce & Zion the through Las Vegas to Laughlin.

Day 16 Ride home.

Of course, this is 6 months away, so it is still subject to more changes without notice!

Last edited:

Excellent. I've already rode across a couple of those, but while we are in Grand Junction for WeSTOC, we could probably hit some more! Thanks!

He can't split traffic on any of those roads!! :22yikes:

Want a bet! I've already split the 550...:D Of course, there wasn't anyone in the left lane http://hamptonrpi.com/stsabre/SabMag-Trips/SWTour-2014/2014-SW-Tour-Dave/images/p9037066.jpgat the time. Right after this picture was taken, I went around this group...yes, that's me up front.

Pikes peak is a really nice ride!

Khris, If you're home at the time, you want to join us? Also, are you making any plans for WeSTOC, since it's in your back yard? ;)

I got Chris a flight from San Diego to Salt Lake on the 19th of August, she can't back out now! LOL

Looks great. Hot Springs, SD has a real nice hotel with a wonderful pool that's great for an after ride dip, Hot Spring Hills Inn, 640 S 6th St, Hot Springs, SD. If your interested in the Sioux Indian battles and you have time, check out the Fetterman Massacre near Story, WY and FT Phil Kearny. Crazy Horse was there as one of the leaders prior to Custer's last stand.

Khris, If you're home at the time, you want to join us? Also, are you making any plans for WeSTOC, since it's in your back yard? ;)

I got Chris a flight from San Diego to Salt Lake on the 19th of August, she can't back out now! LOL

Absolutely!

I bought a TourMaster Tail bag that will fit very nicely on my Topcase rack. All we will put in it is our extra MC gear we need to haul around for our trips coming up. Also Chris figured out which of her four jackets she will be wearing and also will alter a pair of my TM Venture riding pants (were always too small for me anyways) so she will have some riding pants instead of the chaps she usually uses. Our first ride will be next month, riding up to the Old Gold Country, east of Stockton. Then our planned ride out to Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore in late August. I'm really looking forward to spending this time with her on the bike. Something we've never really done before.

Well, like I keep saying, subject to change with little or no notice!

So, Chris decided to bail on the ride, but go up and see our son and his family for a couple of days, then have her dad come and get her and take her up to Boise for a few days before flying back home.

So I redid all the motels...again and have our plans set up a little firmer.

We decided to make a bee-line to Idaho, it would be freeway most of the way up there. For Day one, we?ll stop in Mesquite for a cheap night, and then hit Ogden (Near Far West ? where we?ll see Chris and my son & family) for day two, then off to Idaho Falls for day three. My biggest worry will be the temperatures going up I15. We?ll see!
So, right now the plans are to leave Idaho Falls on day four and head towards Jackson Hole, Yellowstone NP and then stay in Cody for a couple of nights. The next day we?ll go back through Yellowstone to Old Faithful, and head up north and go through Beartooth pass and back to Cody (Day five). On Day six, we?ll head to Custer?s Last Stand battlefield in Montana and on into Gillette, WY. Day seven will find us heading to Devil?s Tower and down through the Black Hills to Deadwood and see Wild Bill Hickok?s burial site, then on to Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Memorial. And stay in Hot Springs for the night.
On day eight, we?ll ride down through Nebraska and into Colorado to Colorado Springs. We?ll stay there for a couple of days, we want to ride up to Pike?s Peak and of course visit with Dave?s son/family. On day eleven, we?ll head over to Grand Junction for WeSTOC and stay there until day fifteen. While we are Grand Junction, we?ll probably ride over to Arches NP and see a few other places near there.
On day fifteen, it?s off to go see Utah?s Hwy 12, staying in Tropic, near Bryce Canyon. If we have the time, we?ll go see Bryce, but if not, we?ll do that the next morning and hit ZION too. And day sixteen, after ZION, we?ll head south to Hoover Dam (and bridge) and then spend the night in Laughlin. Day Seventeen, it?s back to my place.

Dave is near my house now. He left this morning from Stockton.

It's started!

Byron comes over in the morning to help Dave change the oil and check out his bike overall. Then Friday, Dave and I will head out to Mesquite NV!

Back
Top Bottom