Another Michelin Pilot Roads Review

Bike
2005 ST1300
Great Bones!!

Loved the article! :bow1: I've gotta order mine!
Loved your quote of Brian..(Yes Brian you got quoted!!LOL) and so was Greg!

"Brian was more economical with his words, concluding, "They're good. I like them." Prodded for more commentary, he lodged a half-hearted complaint about road noise, "They hum. Whatever." "

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Great write up. I would like to put mine out on a cycle website that would have it but not sure where to ask.

Curt

Nice write up but there is some incorrect info in the article. Now although I'm not an ego maniac, it's nice to get credit where credit is due. I'd like to point out that the Pilot Roads that you got to try out and the other free set given out were because I contacted Motorace about them. Let me explain. I worked for Motorace a few years back as the NJ/PA rep for them, this was when Motorace was the east coast distributor for Dainese. When I got my ST back in May or so I asked the group about Pilot Roads since I'd had them on my last bike and really liked them. My ST, like many others came with BT 020's and I've never been a fan of B'stones. Well I was told that Michelin has them in a warehouse about 60 fronts but no one can get them. Seemed that Michelin did make the size for the ST but never promoted them in the US so they never sold any Duh... so Michelin USA decided to discontinue their sale in the US and the last of the stock was just sitting. As several others on the list found out they were pretty much unavailable. Well since I was new here I thought gee maybe I can help out. So I called my friend Real (Yes that's really his name) at Motorace (He's the General Manager, Dave's boss) and explained to him about these front Pilot Roads and how maybe as a distributor he could call Michelin and buy them all. If Motorace (Real)could, then we would offer a special price to the group here. So to make a long story less long ,that's what happened Motorace was able to buy all the stock from Michelin, and a good price was set up for you guys. Seems that after the fact, Dave was able to convince Real to give a couple of sets away as a way of getting the word out about how good they are ( I knew that all along) and since they sold those first 60 in a jiffy(acutally it was 57) Sto and Real decided to see if they could get Michelin to bring in more, which they now have. So there you have the story of how you folks get to have the formally un-obtanium, Europe only Pilot Roads here in the US of A

Ken

Bike
2009 Goldwing
STOC #
Fantastic review Bones. I really enjoyed it, and your writing style. Although I recently added Metz rubber to the STeed, I'll be sure to try out the Michelins next time around. Thank you!

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I appreciate all the commentary, folks. Erik, thanks in particular for details about how this whole thing started.

STOC #
I'm sold. Just have to wear out these stock tires. :biker:

Just turned 7000 on them today so maybe if I squeeze in another 3k miles before it snows. :)

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Interesting Erik. Now I heard a rumor that Motorace is no longer selling the Pilot Roads and have turned them over to someone else. Anyone know if this true?

I'm probably going to email Dave and ask him straight up.

Curt

STOC #
crazykz said:
Interesting Erik. Now I heard a rumor that Motorace is no longer selling the Pilot Roads and have turned them over to someone else. Anyone know if this true?

I'm probably going to email Dave and ask him straight up.

Curt
Motorace posted on Monday here LINK
That they are available this week! Post was edited it had prices earlier. Not sure if they mean only this week? :confused:

Last edited:

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Ok thanks. I emailed so hopefully I'll hear back. Since I have winter to get a set I'll take my time and order them BEFORE I need them.

Curt

Bike
2005 ST1300
billxp said:
I'm sold. Just have to wear out these stock tires. :biker:

Just turned 7000 on them today so maybe if I squeeze in another 3k miles before it snows. :)

Or it rains!!! :p: Sorry Bill, couldn't help elbowing you in the ribs...Just teasin you.. Hee hee..

call and ask 1-800-628-4040 my guess is that they decided to buy a quantity of the fronts from Michelin since the first batch did so well. And again Pilot Roads are my favorite sport touring tire.. Fact when I wear out the Pilot Powers that came on my KS I may do the Roads.. looks as though I'll only get about 4K miles on the Powers but man do they stick!

Medicine Bear

R.I.P. - 2010/11/14
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Bone Head Question

I guess I'm setting myself up for this but since I'm new to a bike that handles as well as the ST I'm going to ask anyway.

I bought my '03 ST used and the bike was on its second set of B'stones. The back tire is obviously not going to last near as long as the front tire, maybe another 1000 miles. You guys have convinced me to try the Pilot Roads. So here's the question:

Should I go ahead and get a set or just replace the rear tire? The front tire has a whole lot of life left (I'm guessing maybe 4-5000 miles) but I'm a little uncomfortable about (a) two different brands on the bike and (b) new on the rear and used on the front.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Fred :03biker:

naturally wired

Rides Uwibami+Kura-Okami
The tires are made to work as a set, for rain plus the front is like night and day better then the oem tires... I would replace the set if money isnt a problem here ...also you cannt put a price on safety ....... and that pilot road front in my opinion is a lot safer way to go :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom