Another Roadsmart Bubble

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
We went on a 500 mile ride yesterday.
This morning I went out to go to breakfast and the front end was noisy and unsteady.
I stopped a few miles from home, (but before I got on the freeway) checked the tire and saw a bubble the size of an egg in my front tire:(
Limped my way home.
The tire has 11K on it but not even close to the wear bar.
You don't need any more pictures of tires with bubbles.

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800
11K is good mileage -- wear bar or not. But separation bubbles popping up at any time is nothing short of a quality control problem...

Yikes!
:(

Bike
03ST11P,94ST11A
STOC #
I am so glad I used my RS without incident, all I saw was a good tire. Just too many people having problem like this and too many other reliable options out there to buy them again.

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Dave...be sure to go the the Dunlop website and call their customer service number. Follow the instruction to "motorcycle tires"....and give those guys the information. http://www.dunloptires.com/contact/ The more they hear it...the bigger threat to their risk management dept. and maybe we'll successfully get this tire removed from the market.

OP
OP
STDaveNW

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Dave...be sure to go the the Dunlop website and call their customer service number. Follow the instruction to "motorcycle tires"....and give those guys the information. http://www.dunloptires.com/contact/ The more they hear it...the bigger threat to their risk management dept. and maybe we'll successfully get this tire removed from the market.
Thanks Forrest I will.
Seems they are doing a pretty good job of removing it from the market already.
I started watching mine real close after your thread last month. When I heard it thumping I said. "Oh crap Ive been Forested"

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Wow I am glad you did not have any problems on your 500 mile ride. Glad I never got a set of those tires.

:usflag1:

OP
OP
STDaveNW

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I ordered a new set of Bridgestone BT23's from Two Brothers today.
Tim put the Dunlop rep in touch with me this morning as well. They will look at the tire and evaluate it from there.
Thanks for the great service Tim!!!:)

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
The Dunlop customer service guy wanted to "see" my tire. I asked the Cycle Gear guy to save the tire....but he forgot. So....I am sending the images. Dunlop is supposed to forward an email address. We'll see. If I get an address...I'll post up to all so if you've had problems.....you guys/gals can drop the bomb (photos) to these guys.
After talking to Dunlop....I don't think they care in the least. I've had NO as in -0- response from Dunlop...even after many efforts by me.

OP
OP
STDaveNW

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
The Dunlop customer service guy wanted to "see" my tire. I asked the Cycle Gear guy to save the tire....but he forgot. So....I am sending the images. Dunlop is supposed to forward an email address. We'll see. If I get an address...I'll post up to all so if you've had problems.....you guys/gals can drop the bomb (photos) to these guys.
After talking to Dunlop....I don't think they care in the least. I've had NO as in -0- response from Dunlop...even after many efforts by me.
I got Chads phone number;)
But I am not sure if posting it is the right thing to do? not yet anyway.:D

Bike
2002 ST 1100
STOC #
I wouldn't post it without his permission. If we can get a rep to listen we can give him several cases to take back to Dunlop. Dunlop then can either listen to him and do something about it or tell him his job is to sell tires. We will just have to see what kind of company they really are.

STOC #
I think there is a point when a product problem becomes prevalant, that the lower level people at a large corporation start to hide, for fear of being interpreted as acknowledging a problem. Until the forces at higher levels of Dunlop are compelled by the Gov't to act, they will continue to deny a problem. Unfortunately there really seems no benefit for the company to appear proactive as they will be sued one way or another (and being proactive is acknowledging the problem.)

In other words, nothing will happen until you compel Uncle Sam to act. At this point you guys need to be filling out requests with the NHSTA to consider a recall on this tire.

Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
"...... nothing will happen until you compel Uncle Sam to act. At this point you guys need to be filling out requests with the NHSTA to consider a recall on this tire.

I agree loss of a front tire at speed ... not what I want to experience!

Jerseyst

Official Crown Royal TeSTer
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I called Tim and he had the dunlop guy call me and they picked up the tire the next day. He said they are out of the tires for now and expect some mid June and he would ship me a new one. I think I will let the doberman play with it. No way I want another one on my bike!

OP
OP
STDaveNW

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I called Tim and he had the dunlop guy call me and they picked up the tire the next day. He said they are out of the tires for now and expect some mid June and he would ship me a new one. I think I will let the doberman play with it. No way I want another one on my bike!
Lisa and I discussed that a little while ago "what if Dunlop sends me a new tire?" I will probably keep it for a spare.
I appreciate that fact the rep called me today and at least is willing to look at the tire.
I am also Thankful for Tim at TB for being proactive and helping get me satisfaction.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Please sir, don't expose the dog to such a dangerous toy. :shock:

Jerseyst

Official Crown Royal TeSTer
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
maybe I will let her play with it for a week then send it back tellin them it is full of holes!

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800
Please sir, don't expose the dog to such a dangerous toy. :shock:
:crackup

Seriously though, thanks for the "heads up" warning that went up today Joe. :bow1:

It's a harsh thing to have to post such warnings against a vendor who should keep the best interests of his clients in mind -- but...in this case :confused:

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I got nothing from Dunlop, other than "take it back to your dealer to see if it meets warranty criteria." I'd think a product that falls apart should be warrantied, but I'm prone to lapse into logical thought every now and then. My dealer gave me a new tire out of stock; I'm not sure if Dunlop make good on his expense. NHSTA didn't seem to be interested either, just a form response acknowledging my e-mail. (Probably too busy pushing helmet and seat belt laws on the states...) Mine was one of the earlier incidents; I would hope Dunlop would be paying attention by now. What has emerged is a pattern, not a couple of isolated incidents. (And, it's not "isolated" is it's my butt on the pavement.) Kudos to Joe for posting a warning. Too bad it's not more widely disseminated.

OP
OP
STDaveNW

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
These are all on the front correct? Why not the rear? Any other web sites having problems, ADV Riders, FJR, BMW?
Could the ST1300 design create this on this tire?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
These are all on the front correct? Why not the rear? Any other web sites having problems, ADV Riders, FJR, BMW?
Could the ST1300 design create this on this tire?
I have only heard of these types of issues on the Fronts. I ran 2 sets and the rear tires seemed fine but the 2nd front was bouncing on my after the 1st 200 miles on the tire...

Top Bottom