Any interest in stainless steel brake & clutch reservoir screws?

jdmccright

Vendor
Bike
2000 ST1100
The PO of my bike had semi-stripped one of the screws trying to tighten it down (???), and they're looking kinda weathered. I am considering replacing them with new stainless steel ones but the website makes me order 50 or 100 when I only need four. So, the two-part question to everyone is:

1) Would anyone be interested in buying a set of 4 from me for say $1 plus postage?
2) There are two finish options: bright and black oxide. I prefer bright, but would consider opting for the black oxide if there was mass consensus for that instead.

Any takers?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
The PO of my bike had semi-stripped one of the screws trying to tighten it down (???), and they're looking kinda weathered. I am considering replacing them with new stainless steel ones but the website makes me order 50 or 100 when I only need four. So, the two-part question to everyone is:

1) Would anyone be interested in buying a set of 4 from me for say $1 plus postage?
2) There are two finish options: bright and black oxide. I prefer bright, but would consider opting for the black oxide if there was mass consensus for that instead.

Any takers?
There's a local industrial hardware store in San Diego that carries them, and will sell them individually.

If you're not in a big hurry I could pick up 4 the next time I'm in their area and mail them to you, what is the exact size?

Or if you're in need of some other items you could go to their website at marshallshardware.com. They have a $5 minimum order for the web, plus about $7 or so for shipping, so it wouldn't be worth it for just the screws alone.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Try your local hardware store. I get them with an allen head in stainless steel. The price is fairly high per screw, but is still much cheaper than buying a quantity you don't need.

Bike
ST1300
If you let me know the size I may have some in my cabinets collecting dust I can toss your way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Bike
ST1300
Isn't there a problem between stainless and aluminum ie. they tend to bond due to corrosion?
Usually there is but with Stainless it should take a lot longer than normal steal hardware. A thin layer (really thin) of anti seize on the part of the screw that touches the aluminium should solve the problem.

OP
OP
jdmccright

jdmccright

Vendor
Bike
2000 ST1100
The size is M4x0.7, 10-12mm length. I do like the Allen head suggestion as they would match the button-head 18-8 SS Allen bolts I bought to hold together the rest of my bodywork. I guess the consensus is no...I'll just look for them on my own. Thank you all for your replies!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
The size is M4x0.7, 10-12mm length. I do like the Allen head suggestion as they would match the button-head 18-8 SS Allen bolts I bought to hold together the rest of my bodywork. I guess the consensus is no...I'll just look for them on my own. Thank you all for your replies!
Marshall's has them for $0.06 each for the phillips, or $0.07 each for the allen head, in either 10mm or 12mm length.

If you're not in a hurry the next time I'm down in that area I'll send them to you, but it might be a few weeks before I get there.

OP
OP
jdmccright

jdmccright

Vendor
Bike
2000 ST1100
That would be fantastic...no rush. I can pay via PayPal when the time comes. I'd like the Allen head style, M4x0.7, 12mm length. They actually measure 11mm, but I can trim them if needed.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
That would be fantastic...no rush. I can pay via PayPal when the time comes. I'd like the Allen head style, M4x0.7, 12mm length. They actually measure 11mm, but I can trim them if needed.
Don't worry about it, I don't want you to pay me for them.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I picked up a dozen of each (allen head, phillips head) yesterday, and if anyone wants them I'll mail you a set for free.

Bike
1997 ST1100
I had this exact same exerience with my 82 VF750S. The phillips flat heads corroded into the housings. One rounded out trying to extract it. I got a screw extractor bit set from Sears and was able to back out the bad screw. I picked up 4 stainless flat head hex screws at the local Ace (now Do-it Best) hardware store. 43 cents each. that was about 4 years ago.

I just got a 97 ST1100 two weeks ago. The first thing I did was replace the 4 switch housing phillips screws (one was rounded out by the previous owner) with correct length metric cap screws. The second thing I did was replace the brake/clutch housing screws with the same stainless screws. Run, don't walk to the hardware store! There is no time to waste, do it now! I can hear those screws siezing up in your handle bars now. You'll thank me later.

JZH

International Bodger
I had this exact same exerience with my 82 VF750S. The phillips flat heads corroded into the housings. One rounded out trying to extract it. I got a screw extractor bit set from Sears and was able to back out the bad screw. I picked up 4 stainless flat head hex screws at the local Ace (now Do-it Best) hardware store. 43 cents each. that was about 4 years ago.

I just got a 97 ST1100 two weeks ago. The first thing I did was replace the 4 switch housing phillips screws (one was rounded out by the previous owner) with correct length metric cap screws. The second thing I did was replace the brake/clutch housing screws with the same stainless screws. Run, don't walk to the hardware store! There is no time to waste, do it now! I can hear those screws siezing up in your handle bars now. You'll thank me later.
Another option is to get a No. 1 JIS cross-head screwdriver (e.g., Vessel, Hozan), which would help with the removal of the OEM screws. :)

Ciao,

Top Bottom