Any thoughts? Oil mist right side and front

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Howdy everyone. I'm not interested in riding in all the California smoke, soooo, maintenance time. I know, I just did fuel pump/filter/hoses/base gasket....It's been about 20k apparently since I've had the plastic off. The front and right side of engine have some oil spray and a noticeable drip (?). Valve cover/head gasket appear sound. Origin of mist/leak? Thanks for input.....Happy riding!20210821_194234.jpg20210821_194201.jpg20210821_194457.jpg20210822_162927.jpg

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Looks like you’ve got a coolant leak in the V area (front seam on water pump cover, and square hole) and a possible water pump/mechanical seal leak, round hole.
The stuff on the side of the engine could be dirty coolant and grime, often confused for oil leak, or flat or missing oil filler cap o-ring, cylinder head gasket leak (inner around spark plugs) cylinder head gasket sealing washers, or pinched skirt behind cylinder, or just left over oil from prior owner service work?
Standing by the white courtesy phone if needed.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 Pan European A
Hi from New Zealand under current covid country Lockdown
Interesting comment above as ive just put my 07 1300 Pan European back together after locating a coolant leak from the square hole. Long story short after several strip downs, I viewed this forum and a comment about the V-Engine There is a valley with a weep passage from between the heads that runs down through the front covers and comes out through the square hole mating surfaces. My issue was under the throttle body - corroded aluminum- steel tubes on the hose connections behind thermostat housing. I replaced them along with new water pump seal bearing and gaskets following the Honda W/shop manual. Genuine parts ex japan after 20 kms ive developed an oil leak & mist coming out the tell tale water housing round hole. Manual says a little seepage is normal - however I'm getting a fine oil mist and hitting the exhaust pipe and I'm like Smokey and the Bandit.
My concern is will this bed in ? anyone else had this issue. I am a qualified auto technician who prides myself on doing things once and properly, so I'm disappointed.
Terminator2 -I suggest you wash or clean around the two holes (photo 2) and check your oil and water levels. to see which is leaking
Blackboard chalk is a good idea to mark the suspected area and run and see where the seepage occurs first- the chalk will discolor and show the signs of the leakage area easily. My initial cause was not changing the Antifreeze early enough and steel pipe corrosion. Have now changed all my fluids.
Anyone else had this issue after doing water pump seals.

Top Bottom