Anyone cut down the standard ST1100 windshield

Bike
ST1100
I've had my ST1100 for two months now and can't believe how much i love the bike in every department but one............. the turbulance.

I don't look forward to riding it because of the wind noise and yes i use ear plugs.

So i aquired a 22 inch windshield, fitted it and didn't like it. I didn't like the looks and the top of it was in the field of vision.

So while the bike was windsheildless i took it for a spin and its the best for me so far. An even pressure around the chest and helmet and while doing 90mph i'm holding on with a descent grip.

Obviously the bike didn't look to good without a screen but before i butcher my standard screen has anyone reduced theirs?

Thought i'd ask first.

Input always appreciated.

I have also had my ST for a short time. It came with a big Clearview screen, which I didn't like. I cut it down to 17" and narrowed it to stock width. This made a big improvement, so I may cut some more. I like your idea of riding with no screen as a test.

I look over the stock screen... I noted lots of turbulence with it too...

I like the laminar lip because it throws the wind over my helmet and I still look over my screen (I did get the laminar lip combo).

Mark

I've cut down a few windscreens and this is how I did it.
Get some pinstripe tape. This is what you will use to align the cut. Take a marking pen (?magic marker??) and mark the center R/L of the screen. Also put the same dot at the hight you want the screen to be. Now, with the bike on the center stand place the pinstripe tape across the windscreen. I took the backing off the tape and had the ends in each hand.
Now step back and see if it's straight and level, adjust if necessary. When you have it where you want to cut, make another marker line parallel to the tape, or just use the tape as a guide to cut on. I use a brand new jigsaw blade made for plastic.. 15 teeth per inch I think..
There you have it.. easy peasy lemon squeasy.. Sand the edges and your done..
BE CAREFUL. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. The jigsaw jumps alot if you dont hold it up against the plastic tightly. I have a nice little scar on my left knee from one windscreen..

Another good site for ST1100 stuff is:
http://www.my-mc.com/messages/1/1.html
http://www.stocrallies.com/st-riders/index.php

mitch

Mitch: Nice write up, I would add to tape both the outside and inside with painters tape, and when cutting, do NOT stop as the heat build up can cause the plastic to mold back, so I've been told.

Thanks very much for the input gentlemen.

I've done plenty of reading on this matter and it did appear that the way to go was the Laminar lip combo.

HOW MUCH! for a spoiler to go the top of the screen.

I was wondering how much of the original screen owners had cut off and to what shape before they were happy, that's if they had done it at all.

I cut mine down for a more "Sporty" Look. I then painted the inside with Black paint. I thought it lookes pretty good. Then I tried to heat the top and make my "Laminar Lip" Broke the darn thing. Oh well, back to my Clearview.

I hadn't thought of attempting to use the 'cut off' as a laminar lip... too bad it broke...

To make it pliable enough to bend you'd have to heat the entire cut off piece and then drape it over something with the right shape...

Use the kitchen oven to heat it... (Why yes dear I did use the oven today...why do you ask? :))

I don't know what the *right* temp would be... F or C! :)

Here is a pic of a home made laminar lip... Not mine just took the pic's. Looked interesting... Adjustable too!! The finger thing is to give you a idea of how far away it is from the main windscreen.. It needs more of a flair in the front and rear to get that "venturi" effect of the real laminar lip. Acts like a reverse airfoil.

mitch

Attachments

• 51330112BslkLS_ph.jpg
    51330112BslkLS_ph.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 51331589dRIATl_ph.jpg
    51331589dRIATl_ph.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 57133400TbQpvr_ph.jpg
    57133400TbQpvr_ph.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 54
So I cut 4 inches off the standard screen and went for a spin to test.

This is how it was for me.

The standard screen started to produce turbulance as low as 40mph and it was just around the helmet (ooer misses)

With the 4 inches cut off the turbulance started at 65mph was more around the neck and less around the helmet but i did find it bearable.

What i forget is i get carried away and think 'this is really windy'. I then look at the speedo and i'm doing 95mph. When i come back down to 70mph i find it more palletable.

And i'm 5'ft 10inches just for the stats.

The standard screen started to produce turbulance as low as 40mph and it was just around the helmet

Same with me. First time I rode a 1100 I just thought it was a windy day in So Florida..Cut down the windscreen for summer and got a laminar lip for trips and I was happy. Can't beat the adjustable screen on the ST1300 though..

mitch

I bought a dark shield off eBay 2 years ago and cut it down 4 inches below stock.

I personally like the look a lot better, and now I get a full blast of air on my helmet which I prefer over the buffeting I was getting with the stock shield

If you look in my profile you will see some pictures of my ST1100.

Bytown Bandit

Thanks for coming in on this one Bytown Bandit.

I prefer the look of the shorter screen aswell.

I've been and had a look at your albums.

Glad i did though cos after seeing your ST and with its Two brothers it makes me want to go and buy a pair of aftermarket exhausts that i don't need.:D

Zorst/Ken

Thanks,

I bought this bike from my Dad in 2006 who stopped riding at the age of 78.

He was the one who put the pipes on, and did it for only two reasons; Sound and Looks. The stock pipes on ST1100 lack style and at 6500 rpm they sound awesome. I have a K&N Air Filter installed as well, and both work well together once you remove the foam pad from the air filter. With the foam I was getting a flutter during a 5th gear roll on, or a high speed run. Without the foam the throttle repsonce is better throughout the power band, and not a hint of any fluttering.

Not to many ST1100’s done like this. I get a lot of comments and enjoyment with this performance, or sport look of my ST1100.

Bytown Bandit

Last edited:
I thought i'd post the pictures of the cut down screen just for your perusal.

And then i was wondering what to do with the offcut?

So i attached it as an auxillary deflecter just to see if it made any difference.Why? Because i can.

With the deflecter on it was as if i was using the original screen:( so its back to the 4inch less than stock screen.

I'm not saying you should do this i'm just saying whats best for me.:)

Attachments

• DSCN0456.JPG
    DSCN0456.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN0457.JPG
    DSCN0457.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN0458.JPG
    DSCN0458.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN0459.JPG
    DSCN0459.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN0460.JPG
    DSCN0460.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN0461.JPG
    DSCN0461.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 44
Hi Bytownbandit, your ST1100 looks fantastic, I have my old stock windshield I'm going to cut down like yours and those exhausts look fantastic and I can imagine the sound,
what seat is that you have on? thanks

Wow this is an old post. Thanks for the comments on my ST1100. It's different with all the changes I have done, and it draws a lot of on lookers. Take a look at my profile for the latest change or upgrade I made.

The seat I'm using is a Corbin Rumble Seat. Looks like a solo seat when the back rest is down.

Thanks again.

Bytown Bandit

1996 Honda ST1100 (12).jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom