Anyone ever try these temporary tire plugs?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I use the cement because I've seen no indication or reason not to. Long before I had a kit over a year there were a few posts about putting a new tube in your kit annually so that's what I do. While it plug is supposed to be temporary I've plugged a bike tire twice and a car tire three times in different spots. The tire performed properly down to the wear bars. One possible advantage was being able to plug the tires and let them sit before resuming travel. That was just how it worked out. Riding a tire I plugged doesn't bother me.

Now if the tire was worn and nearing replacement time I'd probably replace it ASAP after plugging.

Old school Safety Seal is the only rope i trust and use. If the tire is newish i remove it and patch from the inside of course. But i did run 1500 miles on a safety seal bump that was just offset of the centerline on a ZX-10R rear tire :cool:.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I once had a fairly new tire for my car get punctured. The tire had a road hazard warranty, but the dealer was 40 miles away, I plugged the hole and took it in. They said they weren't sure the road hazard warranty would be in effect if I had plugged it, but that also, if i had brought it in before I pugged it, that's all they would do. I didn't like that answer, so I took it to an independent shop and had them patch it from the inside. I was amazed at their answer.

Bike
2006 ST1300
This is an opportune thread as I've been chancing my arm for the last 16 years. Having Fidra the Pan Euro with such whizbang technology as tubeless tyres means I somewhat stopped worrying about how to mend a flat tyre with inner tubes, such as my Africa Twin has, and which I only once needed to deal with. But I'll be away next month for a week's touring with my bestie, and I will be further from home than ever. So I decided I needed something in case I find myself at the side of the road with no air left.

I picked up a Touratech AirMan pump that I can run from the DIN socket, and on the strength of RyanF9's video, a pack of extremely generic tyre strings and the proddlers to insert them. I will be calling them gummy worms from now on, though!

What actually is the technique for the worms? The instructions say to poke and push it in using the big needle tool and then yank the tool back out. Why doesn't this pull the worm out again? Does it somehow cut the worm in two as it goes?

I carry the cheap tire plug and small compressor all the time. It help me once while on the road
Same, but i also carry a Lezyne High Volume bicycle pump in medium size in case my mini China compressor fails.

2nd bike has the Alloy Drive in medium size which is more expensive but i cant really tell the difference. Both superb quality.

Looks like lots of Lezyne versions. Is this best for motorcycle use?
And have you used it?
Bigger the better but its really up to how much room you have to spare. They even make a Micro Floor Drive XL pump that would be amazing if you could fit it.

I've used the pumps twice over the years since i forgot my mini compressor. It takes some effort but you can get enough air to get you to a gas station to finish it.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I have used the mushroom type with good results, but I had such a slow leak that I was able to ride home using my compressor to top it up a couple of times. A proper repair with a patch inside is always preferred. Interesting Ryan video.

Top Bottom