Anyone fabricate their own hitch?

Bike
91 St1100
STOC #
Was wondering if anyone has fabricated their own hicth?

I have an ST1100 and I am considering it. Another 1100 owner and I have it on our list of things to do.

Need advice for weight of materials used ...
tubing vs. solid
ball hitch vs. other
reciever type vs. not

Another question... I have seen a hitch on another 1100 and they connected the front anchors all the way up behind the pilots foot peg on both sides along with another strut to the muffler mounting bolt. This requires a complex bend in the forward section to get around the center stand.:tools1: Is this overkill? Or do all the hitches on the 1100's do this?

Could the muffler mount bolts be used for the major attachment and hang the hitch from under the rear frame?

Thanks for all the wealth of knowledge here!!!

Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Could the muffler mount bolts be used for the major attachment and hang the hitch from under the rear frame?
The aluminum sections are mounted on flexible rubber bushings, and kind of thin. I wouldn't do it.
This one is interesting, not any decent pictures of the hitch or suspension tho, http://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com/index.php/trailers

It appears that the hitch attaches to an extended axle, that probably wont clear the mufflers on an ST1100. I will consider building something similar this winter.

Top Bottom