Anyone have a Ron Major Aux Tank?

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
ST110011-01-2008-2.jpg

I am looking to reproduce the Ron Majors famous tail draggier style Aux tank. If anyone out there has one and wouldn't mind sending me dimensions that would be fantastic. I am also looking for a copy of the original directions.

If you own one in New England, and wouldn't mind a visit that would be great too!

The hopeful plan is to make detailed directions and share them publicly with any new ST1100 owner who would like to build the famous tank such as myself.

DSCF0004.jpg

Last edited:
I just mailed my own off. but, I might be able to help a lil. the tank fits between the two panniers- it's trapezoid in shape...12wide, 11" high, and the depth is enough to bring the total capacity up to 3.5 gallons. this allows for .1gallon capacity for the fuel line(s) the construction specs are easily found on the IBA website(after all the Sampson built tank was intended for Iron butt rally's). if you send me ur address I can sent a few installation pics that might answer some questions you might have. looking at your pics, it appears that you already have a few of 'em , already. P.S. the tank has a tube running thru the tank to allow electrical wires to pass thru to a lit license plate frame( since it's a street legal requirement to have a lit reg. plate)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Mike, You know about this thread right? 2 mentioned ...

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-126060.html
I just read it, thanks. It does not go into details I would need about hose placement and mounting points.

I just mailed my own off. but, I might be able to help a lil. the tank fits between the two panniers- it's trapezoid in shape...12wide, 11" high, and the depth is enough to bring the total capacity up to 3.5 gallons this allows .1gallon capacity for the fuel line(s) the construction specs are easily found on the IBA website(after all the Sampson built tank was intended for Iron butt rally's). if you send me ur address I can sent a few installation pics that might answer some questions you might have. looking at your pics, it appears that you already have a few of 'em , already
Thanks, Sent. I grabbed those photos from another thread.

they are from the tank that I got 2nd hand..they are from the p.o. install. we connected on this forum and the only pics supplied to me for my install

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
do you still need the dimensions and install tape they made? Let me know
I would love both Sal. The side angles are also a bit of a mystery to me. Are you the same Sal I met at the 2012 Cape Fear Rally at the NY start?

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Mike, I thought Alex has one. He is usually at Bennington and he did my scoring at Minuteman rally. He has a black 1100 with like 320,000 miles on it. I could be wrong???

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Mike, I thought Alex has one. He is usually at Bennington and he did my scoring at Minuteman rally. He has a black 1100 with like 320,000 miles on it. I could be wrong???
Alex does have one, and I was thinking about asking Jim to get measurements off Alex's tank. I actually have a bunch of photos of Alex's tank somewhere but somehow misplaced them. =-/

Alex even put me in touch with someone selling a tank years ago but it did not work out.

I have some ideas, but wanted to start with the original tank design and go from there.

Mike I sent you what I have such as it is via gmail, it's from Sampson with the install template, it's not much but better than nothing. If you are starting from a fresh un-drilled tank i would give some consideration to welding the bung in rather than drilling and using rubber rather than braided stainless. The space to work with is just way to tight to accommodate many errors with routing.

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Mike I sent you what I have such as it is via gmail, it's from Sampson with the install template, it's not much but better than nothing. If you are starting from a fresh un-drilled tank i would give some consideration to welding the bung in rather than drilling and using rubber rather than braided stainless. The space to work with is just way to tight to accommodate many errors with routing.
Thank you. I am organizing a document and will piece everything together that everyone sends. Once I have it all cleaned up and mostly complete I will share it back out for all.

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have uploaded the install video Sal took the time to rip and send to me, thanks Sal! I have collected a lot of data and will continue to organize it.

[video=youtube_share;fDjmZ54nXOU]http://youtu.be/fDjmZ54nXOU[/video]
(video is still processing at the time of this post, check back later)

Top Bottom