Anyone use a cool vest?

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I am planning a trip to Ohio in July and wanting to try a cool vest of some kind. I know that there are several types out there and wanted some input from those that my have used them. Thanks for any info.

Hi,
They work super!
Load it up w/ water,,,feels a bit moist at very first, then its a/c for the next three or so hours.
Works best with mesh for max evap effect.
I wish I had known about them years ago!

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I put my vest in water, the cooler the better. After the first soaking just add bottled water at gas stops. One bottle helps, two does it for me.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Sorry if these sound like stupid questions, but do you just lay it down and poor it on the front and back? Does it drip?
I was looking at the work vest with reflective tape so I can use at work this summer as well, I wonder how it will fit under a mesh riding jacket.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Check out the info. here: LINKY Maggie and I have used these vests for the last 5 years or so and they work great. Just be a little careful if you have a leather seat as you can get some damage if you supersaturate the cooling vest. While your body may like being water cooled, your leather seat won't!

John

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Sorry if these sound like stupid questions, but do you just lay it down and poor it on the front and back? Does it drip?
I was looking at the work vest with reflective tape so I can use at work this summer as well, I wonder how it will fit under a mesh riding jacket.
There are a couple of different types - Mine is the kind you soak.
Simple to activate ...
I soak it in a sink for 2 or 3 minutes - cold tap water - no ice.
Gently squeeze it out to remove excess water so it doesn't drip
Put it on over a tshirt with mesh jacket over top.
I reactivate by taking it off at gas stops & heading to the mens room sink. Never tried to pour a bottle of water over it, I'd think most of it would run away before it soaked in tho.
Each soak lasts for a couple of hours on average depending ...

These type of vests are small, compact and light. Buy one that fits tightly.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I soak it before riding, then I just take a bottle of water and hold the open bottle to the upper parts of the vest and let it soak in. You can take it off, but you need to put it into water to get the best effect. The water added at stops is not as cool as a soaked vest, but it better than not having it.

STOC #
Hi,
I have both. In hot humid So Fla the evaporative vest doesn't work very well. In Needles Ca, 114?f it worked fine. Also used a phase change neck and head bandana which kept me relativly cool from gas fill to gas fill.
Now the phase change vest is the cat's meow. I got the vest at one place on sale and and extra set of phase change packs at another site. All total it was about $200. I put the packs in the freezer till they are solid. The spare pack goes into a ice filled, insulated 12 pack holder along with my camelback water bladder bungeed to the seat behind me. A "two fer", I love multitaskers. Keep the frozen packs cold and cold water to drink on the road. KEEP HYDRATED.
When I stop for gas, I swap out the packs, and go. If the ice supply is low buy more ice but it uasually lasts at least two or three stops. An added bonus is the extra protection the phase change packs afford. Good chest protection during a unscheduled get off.. Like the TV though it adds to a chubby look.
I have a Marsee evaporative vest for sale if anybody is interested... $20 you pay shipping..

mitch

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Miracool for me and mine.
Works *really* well in the SW and if you soak it so that it bulges it works for about 2 days (if necessary).

When they stop absorbing water (anywhere from 1.5 to 3 years) I've started recharging mine with the same 'crystals'... bought them at a craft store... they use them in vases to grow stuff... silly crafters! :D

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I have two of them. One is whatever brand Cycle gear sells and the other is a sixsixone core cooler. I like the sixsixone best. I also think they don't work too well in high humidity, but in the southwest it works great.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/8/30/1801/ITEM/SixSixOne-Youth-Core-Cooler-Personal-Radiator.aspx?SiteID=CSE_Gbase_1801&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=45&zmap=1801

P.S.- I just noticed that that is a youth model. I guess they have a men's size too. I bought mine from Sixsixone direct.

Bike
'07 ST1300
I recently purchased various cooling garments from this company..

.http://www.tuffrhino.com/MiraCool_s/45.htm

have yet to have the need to try them out, but they seem good quality, I will surely need them for a trip I have coming up in June- Last year the end of June brought 100deg F temps during mid-day and it was gruelling heat out on 4-6 lane hiways, but the Natchez Trace in morning and evening with the shade from trees was NICE.....

Normally we don't get such hot weather until August, and usually only a week or two of 100 deg F temps....

Hopefully this year June will be more agreeable for the ride...but in case of 90-100 deg I'm ready...

Bike
st1300
STOC #
Thanks for this thread, I needed the heads up. I put it off last year, Just now ordered a big miracool fer me & a lil one for Ann.... :cool:

In a side by side compro my old (no name) vest was dry & done cooling long before the miracool Tom uses.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
In high humidity climates you may want to try the Veskimo. Ice is put into a camelbak compartment and a battery powered pump circulates cool water in a vest. Somewhat cumbersome to wear. Rated well by Motorcycle Consumer News.

John-

I use one and they work great. I carry a heavy duty plastic bag. I put the vest in the bag in the morning with water. Then it is ready to wear when it gets hot later in the day. Then when I stop for gas I put it in the bag again and add water while I'm gassing. it is ready to go by the time I get done gassing and going to the bathroom.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I use one and they work great. I carry a heavy duty plastic bag. I put the vest in the bag in the morning with water. Then it is ready to wear when it gets hot later in the day. Then when I stop for gas I put it in the bag again and add water while I'm gassing. it is ready to go by the time I get done gassing and going to the bathroom.
You don't live where that type only lasts 1 1/2 hour... really... then they are just another layer.

Top Bottom