audacity music editting

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Anybody use Audacity? All I need to do is clip either the beginning or end of some songs. Such as applause or just too much empty space. Or maybe to adjust the volume of a song. Is Audacity safe and easy to use to do this?
Some years ago I used Nero for this.

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
for mp3's it's easy. open the file, drag your mouse over what you want to delete, go to edit, then delete. Voila it's gone. Save and you're done.

Bike
R1200rt
Anybody use Audacity? All I need to do is clip either the beginning or end of some songs. Such as applause or just too much empty space. Or maybe to adjust the volume of a song. Is Audacity safe and easy to use to do this?
If your using windows get something from the Micrsoft store, that should be secure. For adjusting volume I use MP3 Gain.

Bike
'09 ST1300A
I've been using Audacity for years on Windows and Linux without any issues. The help files will teach you everything you need to know. I digitized all my cassette tapes using my Walkman via a sound card. I used Audacity to record and split the tracks and automatically number and save them. I play YouTube music videos and capture the audio. Audacity will save as MP3 at various qualities or many other formats with the appropriate plugins.

It's not Protools but certainly does the job.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I've used it for various tasks like converting WAV files to MP3 and converting old cassettes and LPs to digital. It works well and I've never had a problem with it. Thumbs up :thumb:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dont forget to also install the Lame software for Audacity - which enables correct processing of the MP3 files.
[edit]Just noticed that @maddog13 says that it may come with it now. I've not updated my copy for a while.

Audacity can also be used for recording digital sound going through you PC sound card.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Dont forget to also install the Lame software for Audacity - which enables correct processing of the MP3 files.
Don't know what Lame is. I'm basically simply cutting the beginnings and end of already existing MP3s and Audacity does it.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Just wait till you start synching video and audio from multiple cameras / sources!
Glad you're liking Audacity.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Don't know what Lame is. I'm basically simply cutting the beginnings and end of already existing MP3s and Audacity does it.
Lame is now built-in to Audacity. It's encoding software and as you point out you're just trimming bits (yes I know) and not re-encoding. I've done the same on a Mac with QuickTime compatible files. Just a little off the top and some whitewall please.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
As everyone else has said, easy to use and it is safe. I used it to ad music to power point prestation's. Easy to combine the two together.

Top Bottom