Ave. MPG question. Need info please.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I own a 2007 non-ABS ST1300. It has 46000 miles and has been well cared for. The ave. MPG shown on the display shows 37.6 MPG. It fluctuates between 37.4 and 38.0 MPG.

I've searched and noticed consistently people state the displayed ave. MPG is not incredibly accurate and is generally lower than the ACTUAL MPG. I have 2 questions:

1. What does YOUR ave MPG display read on YOUR bike?
2. How low/inaccurate is the display compared to actual/real MPG (ie. the display reads about 3, 4, 6, 10 MPG lower than actual)?

I'm wondering if my motorcycle is in need of some type of service if my MPG is showing low, or if it's indicative of a problem. I've read many people are getting mid to upper 40's in their MPG. I plan on checking the air filter when I get the next opportunity as that seems to be a factor affecting fuel economy. Thanks in advance.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I keep my display on current mpg and hardly ever toggle over to avg. mpg. Try that and see how it reads as your current mpg and let us know how that is.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
I am bad ,not really worried about mileage as I am out on 2 wheels having fun . I know on long trips mileage is very good and I can make it read 80 kms per liter if I really try but that right wrist keeps making it go lower .

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I own a 2007 non-ABS ST1300. It has 46000 miles and has been well cared for. The ave. MPG shown on the display shows 37.6 MPG. It fluctuates between 37.4 and 38.0 MPG.

I've searched and noticed consistently people state the displayed ave. MPG is not incredibly accurate and is generally lower than the ACTUAL MPG. I have 2 questions:

2. How low/inaccurate is the display compared to actual/real MPG (ie. the display reads about 3, 4, 6, 10 MPG lower than actual)?

I'm wondering if my motorcycle is in need of some type of service if my MPG is showing low, or if it's indicative of a problem. I've read many people are getting mid to upper 40's in their MPG. I plan on checking the air filter when I get the next opportunity as that seems to be a factor affecting fuel economy. Thanks in advance.
Why don’t you calculate avg mpg the only way that is accurate? Distance/fuel burn. Then you would know what your bike is doing in the conditions you ride in. People make all kinds of claims that aren’t verifiable or that may have any equivalence to where and how you ride. Their average might be that over 10 miles, 1000 miles, or a 100,000 miles. There are so many variables between riders, bikes, and conditions that comparing variance between displayed and actual mpg to others leads nowhere.

Last edited:
Mine generally reads between 35 to 38 normal riding for me, avg for freeway, Curves stop n go. Its normally about 2 miles low. In 6 cross country trips my actual mpg is 38 going west, and 39 going east at near 80mph. IF i ride 55 i get great gas mileage well into the 40s, but....I ....CANT ....DRIVE ...55

Bike
2010 ST1300
I didn't use the avg because its so much fun trying to increase the 'instant' mpg. You know, pulling in the clutch, coasting downhill in zero traffic, that sort of thing. My yearly mpg averaged from 40 to 44 mpg, with an overall average of 41 for 5 years. I ran an oversized windshield, fully up most of the time, and speeds ranged from 50 to 95. I did not do very much driving around town.

My method of calculating mpg was to note the initial mileage at the purchase of the bike, and record the odo reading at every gas stop on the receipt. A spread sheet showing date, gallons, $, odo, and the octane, did the numbers, so those mpg figures were for from 3500 to 5000 yearly miles.

My real world method of coming up with mpg has always been lower than the bike's computer, hence my distrust of that electronic gadget (this goes for my V Strom, too).

Last edited:
Bike
2005 st1300

I wouldnt get too hung up on mileage. The bike is capable of mid to high 40's, but also mid to high 30's depending on conditions and the rider and not be indicative of a problem. Certainly check your air filter as well as making sure your brakes aren't dragging. If the bike is in good tune, high 40's are attainable, but you have to work at riding it conservatively to get those numbers. Some even report the occasional jump into the low 50's (myself included) but it is short term in perfect conditions.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Neither Current or Average are very accurate, like Dave pointed out, too many variables in stats.
Fill your tank, write down your mileage, and do the math.
I would think its more important to know how far you can go on a tank of fuel, than what an idiot gauge is showing as your riding along etc.
I usually keep both mine off and enjoy the blank screen, as its less distraction etc.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
3 things about the ST1300 that have serious effect on mpg
#1 ambient temperature- the colder it is the lower mpg
#2 windshield- the higher it is the lower the mpg
#3 stock exhaust and air filter- Staintunes and a highflow paper AF = better mpg

On a warm day ride with windshield all the way down at @ 65 mph I average 51 mpg

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You forgot Altitude.
Folks at higher altitude get much better gas mileage than those at or near sea level.;)

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I have almost always averaged, according to the meter, 42mpg for 16 years and 88,000 miles. It gets high 30s if I treat it like a race bike which is not too often. Once I got low 30s riding for 2 hours at 85mph into a headwind.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
Its pretty cold and wet here in Seattle. I leave for work early in the morning and the ambient air temps are in the low 40's. I also ride at about 75-80 MPH most of the way, stock windshield all the way down, stock muffler also. I checked the rear tire for brake drag and it looks to be spinning freely with little/no drag. My next check will be the air filter. Will my speed affect MPG THAT much?

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Its pretty cold and wet here in Seattle. I leave for work early in the morning and the ambient air temps are in the low 40's. I also ride at about 75-80 MPH most of the way, stock windshield all the way down, stock muffler also. I checked the rear tire for brake drag and it looks to be spinning freely with little/no drag. My next check will be the air filter. Will my speed affect MPG THAT much?
With temperatures and speeds you ride- the mpg you say you are getting is close to the same I get riding at those same conditions

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
This place is great, what everyone above said, save the aftermarket exhaust and filter, stock gave me better MPG than the Delkevics and K&N. I usually avg 40 unless I am freewaying for long periods at your speeds, 35-38. I use the trip odometer and calculate it almost every fill up. I love this site and all the great people here!

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
dlim you are worrying much to much about too little! your gas milage is about right! I have at times gotten my mileage meter to drop into the teens ( mostly because of connection between right wrist and grin on face!) :biggrin:

ColinW1981

Site Supporter
Bike
'06 ST1300A
STOC #
I must be the odd one out. Years ago I did that whole gallons in divided by miles driven only to find the comp on my bike is within 1 mpg to my manual calculations. Meaning, if it says I'm getting 42 mpg, well, I'm getting 41 mpg or 43 mpg. And I average 42 mpg here on the roads around Snoqualmie. Now romping over Blewett Pass, well, that's when things drop to the mid 30's. There's only one way to ride Blewett Pass...wide open throttle or hard on the brakes 'cuz those darn RV's and Semi's aren't gonna pull over even if they've got 30 cars lined up behind them!:mad: And the cages race you on the passing lanes so a bike's gotta do what a bike's gotta do...make the most of the dotted dash lines where even the Dodge Vipers can't hang with you!:headbang: Am I not right Daboo and ToddC? Not to imply I ever exceed the posted Speed Limit.:cool: I mean, I wouldn't want to embarrass the WSP Troopers I know from my WA ARNG days...:rolleyes:
:spsmile: :bk13:

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
Thanks for the info. This forum is pretty amazing as a new st1300 owner. I rode in this morning. 43 degrees and I slowed my speed down to 70-75mph. I switched to the instant mpg instead of the average, and I was getting 43-45 mpg.

Unless I’m missing something, based on the responses I’m getting this is about right. It’s damn cold in the early morning, and although I dont necessarily goose the throttle I ride at higher freeway speeds.

Bike
ST1300
i used to watch the mpg on the bikes gauges but stopped. i use Fuelly.com and log every tank on there to keep track of it. check it out and see what everyone else is getting on the average. i use the bar at the top of my tank to make sure its the same amount every time i fill up to keep it consistent. out of the approx 8k ive logged so far im at 40mpg for the mixed riding i do. i do expect that to rise now i found out i have a failed SMC for the last 8k

Top Bottom