Avon Storm Mileage

CWDUSMC

Site Supporter
Bike
01 ST-1100
STOC #
It has come time for me to admit that I might just be a namby-pamby, milquetoast commuter type rider. Obviously I don't smoke the rear tire enough when leaving a stop and if I would park my bike on the side stand instead of the center stand, I might wear down the sides of both tires a little more!!
All the posts about riders getting 5-6K miles out of tires amazes me. On my last set of Dunlop's I got over 16,000 miles before replacing them early for BamaSToc. I decided to check out the Avon Storms. Did notice more 35-45 shake with the Storms than the Dunlops. In preparation of a possible trip next week, I am replacing the Storms early. Would continue to run them if I was just commuting locally. This time I am checking out the Storm Ultra 2s. The Storms, pictured below, have been on the bike for 14 months and have 16,786 miles on them. Front still has 3/32 depth but I think the shake as increased and since I am going with the Ultras this time, replacing as a set. Will keep the tires in case anybody passing through this neck of the woods needs an emergency replacement (unfortunately I don't have a changer yet).
Its just a sad fact of life that most of the 43,000 miles I have put on the bike so far are commuter miles!

Ride safe!

Attachments

• Avon front.jpg
    Avon front.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Avon rear.jpg
    Avon rear.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 155
That kind of mileage would make me want to put a storm on the rear. I have an Ultra2 on the front now with a PR2 on the rear. My PR2 has 7300 miles and looks pretty good but you're making me want to try the Dark and Stormy on the rear. I gotta order soon. Decisions, Decisions...........

Interesting...
I am also a mostly-commuter and the rear Storm on my ST1100 lasted about 8000 miles. The front lasted up to 12k or 14k, I don't remember.

Do bluehairs in big Buicks pass you as you ride away from a traffic light? I am thoroughly amazed at how many miles you can put on that rear Storm.

You must have a pretty sweet commute! My commuter miles leave a flat spot in the middle of the rear tire and I'll confess my chicken strips indicate more "chicken" than "strippin"...

:bow1:

The last Bridgestone BT-020F (did I get that designation correct?) is the FIRST tire I have EVER topped 10k miles with - 14,000+ on that one - which is why there is another one just like it on the back of my 1100 now! ;) Even my Avon Azarro rear only went a little over 9,000.

You don't happen to have a brother named "Dom" do you? :D

If it was just my daily commute or weekend ride, I would have left them on. However, I have read where some tires once they get worn down, can start wearing even faster and I have seen too many posts were people have been on trips and the cord starts peeking through. Therefore, I figured better to be on the safe side and it gives me a spare set for emergencies or somebody passing through and needs an emergency repair!

As for the commute, about 28 miles each way and mostly straight roads - if you look at the picture of the rear tire, it IS only worn in the center. Only really twisty roads it has seen was BAMASTOC last year.

Don't have a brother named Dom, however, given the grin, I'm I missing a joke?

Ride safe,

There was a gentleman on the old ST liST e-mail server group named Dom that seemed to always manage higher mileage than most on his tires. I just thought maybe you would have been familiar with him...

Back
Top Bottom