Battery problem - Need help

I recently discovered that my 2007 ST1300A battery isn't holding much of a charge. The bike is starting OK, but if I leave the lights on for just a couple of minutes without the engine running the battery won't turn over the engine. Things are fine as long as I don't put any drain on the battery w/o the engine running, but, clearly, I need a new battery. Like others on this site, I'm a little disappointed that Honda put such a puny battery in such a great motorcycle.

We seem to have poor choices for ST1300 battery replacement. Westco and Odyssey don't make ST replacements (at least, not without battery box modification). There's certainly no shortage of detractors for the OEM Yuasa, even if the price wasn't twice that of other batteries. I've read about a handful of other replacement batteries (Scorpion, Xtreme Permaseal, etc.) but I can't seem to find a ringing endorsement for any of these.

Does DieHard manufacture a battery that will fit the ST? Their website wasn't help, but I seem to recall that someone had found a DieHard that fitthier ST. Any useful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mines a 2006 with I assume the factory original battery (I bought it new from the crate as a leftover 1.5 years ago) that is activated at the factory.

Why it's still working well is beyond me.

WHEN mine goes with all things considered (price, Yuasa batteries going bad quickly on this site, etc.) I'm going with the Scorpion. $68 delivered.

Even if it dies in 2 years, I can still buy 2 for less than 1/2 of the price of 1 Yuasa.

I used to think Yuasa was the best but I wonder if now they're going down hill like everything else.

Don't know about fitment for a Die Hard.

You can drain a properly functioning battery pretty quickly.
Depending on how many a "couple" minutes is you may have some time left on that battery.
FWIW the scorpian is working for me. The batteries+ extreme didn't.
+1 on keeping it topped of on the tender when the bike sits.

Depending on how many a "couple" minutes is you may have some time left on that battery.

It doesn't take long, that's for sure. I ran into Gene one time and we pulled off into a gas station to chat. A couple of minutes later, I noticed I'd left my lights on, tried to start up and... nothing.

--Mark

I have been using an Extreme in my 05 ST1300 for the past year, I feel it is dependable, a good buy for the money, but not quite as good as the Yuasa OEM.
Try keeping your bike on a battery tender, that will help extend the life in a couple of ways.
My 02 ST1100 still has the original battery and still runs strong, but I haven't put 10% of the junk on that bike that I have on the 1300.

Thanks for the replies. I do keep the ST on a battery tender most of the time (my BT shares duties with the Honda and Ducati). I also ride the bike quite a bit.

Perhaps I've just over-estimated how long a healthy battery should be able to run headlights (w/o engine running) without giving up the ability to start things up. I've been under the impression that it should take at least 10 minutes or so before giving up the ghost. While I'm not in the habit of leaving the lights on w/o the engine running, it does happen. I live in GA, and recently had a dead battery while traveling through CT. Jumper cables to the rescue, but I don't want to experience that again. I'll get a load test done on this battery, which is obviously something that should have already been done. I've just been assuming this battery was on life support. Maybe not.

It seems to me that for every rider who is happy with their battery, there is another who has had premature failure from that battery. I wish Westco or Odyssey made a battery for the ST, because I've had great luck with these over the years, especially Westco. Perhaps I need to consider the Odyssey 545 battery box modification.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Perhaps I've just over-estimated how long a healthy battery should be able to run headlights (w/o engine running) without giving up the ability to start things up.

I think you have. Using the spreadsheet on STWiki's ElectricalReference page, I estimate that an ST with the ignition on and the engine not running draws somewhere in the neighborhood of 13A, which is an awful lot of juice to be sucking out of a small battery. 7.5 of those amps are the stock headlights. I have 60-watters that add 2.5 more.

--Mark

I think you have. Using the spreadsheet on STWiki's ElectricalReference page, I estimate that an ST with the ignition on and the engine not running draws somewhere in the neighborhood of 13A, which is an awful lot of juice to be sucking out of a small battery. 7.5 of those amps are the stock headlights. I have 60-watters that add 2.5 more.

--Mark

My 04 with original battery will last no more than 90 to 120 seconds with light on before it wont start.
My friends BMW1200LT will last about 15 minutes
His has one 35 watt HID light mine has two 60/55 watt lights

I wired in a toggle switch to keep the headlights OFF until after the bike is running. After my second Yuasa failed, I decided to take the big step. I couldn't find any photos or detailed installation info for the Odyssey, so I assembled my own here ...
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74015

Hoowasat, thanks for your reply. While it hasn't occurred to me to put a separate switch on the headlights, I have already read your excellent Odyssey 545 article with great interest. I still think it's unfortunate that we have to perform (minor?) surgery on the ST to assure sufficient battery power. On a bike the caliber of the ST, something that basic that should be a given. Oh well.

I'm also glad to see that the pictures in your article have been posted without having to open each pic individually.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom