Battery Problem with New '06 ST1300

mhagen

FaSTer PaSTor
Bike
2012 ST1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Rode my new '06 ST1300 home last Friday. Happy days...all is good. Came to start it Sunday and it wouldn't turn over...all was not good. Battery was down significantly. Put it on Battery Tender for two days. Drove to dealer in Dubuque today and after re-checking various wiring of accessories, etc., they replaced it with a new battery. They commented that it's not the first time they've had trouble with a two year-old battery in a new bike from Honda.

Has anyone else had this problem with a leftover new bike? :eek:4:

Last edited:

Last1Out

STOC 7165; KLRST 52
STOC #
Yep.

Didn't even bother trying to recharge it, just bought a new one and all is well. Batteries that sit for a few years will always act wonky, so I just decided not to play the game. Be warned though, the little buggers are expensive!

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
If the battery was left in the bike for 2 years (connected) without being charged, you bet your bippy it is toast... If it was removed from the bike,
and set on the bench, the internal resistance of the battery would let it self-discharge unless it was on a battery tender. Sitting on the bench
for 2 years without being "maintained", it would be toast...

Putt...

STOC #
Rode my new '06 ST1300 home last Friday. Happy days...all is good. Came to start it Sunday and it wouldn't turn over...all was not good. Battery was down significantly. Put it on Battery Tender for two days. Drove to dealer in Dubuque today and after re-checking various wiring of accessories, etc., they replaced it with a new battery. They commented that it's not the first time they've had trouble with a two year-old battery in a new bike from Honda.

Has anyone else had this problem with a leftover new bike? :eek:4:
mhagen,
I just bought my "new" 06 as well about 3 weeks ago and have had battery problems as well. In my situation, it starts every time but my trip meters and clock have reset twice. Weirdly, though, it hasn't happened in the last 3 short rides. Hmmmm...

Did your dealer replace at no charge?

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Nock on wood, not yet. Only had it a week and 215 miles but everything's working so far.

STOC #
Ferret,

Holy cow! You're certainly to be commended for putting that many miles on your bike considering the weather we've had. I can't live that far from you (west of Fort Wayne) and I've been trying to get my bike out every time the weather gets to about 35-37 deg. I drove home for lunch on Thursday just to get the ST and take her back to work. Made for a fun, after-work ride.

Later,
Laban

OP
OP
mhagen

mhagen

FaSTer PaSTor
Bike
2012 ST1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, the dealer replaced my battery at no charge, under warranty. Good guys, those Sindt brothers in Dubuque, IA. :cool:

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mine battery on my 06 expired over the weekend. My wife actually dumped her bike at a stop sign (first day out on the road :D ) and in my haste to help her, I left my lights on after I killed the engine. She was fine and we got her uprighted, I went back to mine to start it and nothing. Trying to bump start a ST is no easy task. Luckily I had a hill to help.

I'll be shopping for a new battery this week. The guy at the dealer tells me 2 years is about average for a battery... seems low to me but so far he is right.

The guy at the dealer tells me 2 years is about average for a battery... seems low to me but so far he is right.[/QUOTE said:
Well...if used regularly, the Honda stock batteries can last a lot longer than two years. I have two that are 4 and 5 years old, respectively. The latter is in my ST. What does seem to happen is that when they do go bad, there is little warning.

I sold an XR650 with a battery that was 6 years old and still going strong. Maybe it is in the dealer's best interest to underestimate a battery's life.

Well...if used regularly, the Honda stock batteries can last a lot longer than two years.
What is the ST1300 "stock" battery? Or can it vary. My 06 I just got this Jan has a Power-Sonic PTZ14S. Is that "stock". The PO didn't replace it, it came with the bike. Do dealers pull better batteries and sub cheaper ones?

Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I just purchased my 06 this past Sept & have a little over 4000 miles on it now without any battery problems so far. Bought it new right out of the crate & it was my understanding that the acid wasn't put in the battery till they got STinger ready for me. I guess I'll find out how long it will last.

Debbie
aka STinger_06
:06biker:

Bike
sold dec 31 14
STOC #
Just changed my OEM 2003 battery. It still started the bike but I believe in preventative maintenance

Got my "new" 06 about three weeks ago. 180 miles. No battery problems yet, but it's interesting to note those cited. I didn't give that any thought, but I guess after sitting a couple of years the battery might not be so hot. I wonder if sitting does anything else to the bike - seals?

Tom

Bike
2006 St1300
I had one go in January on my 06. Dealer also replaced it.

gah

Bike
2006 st 1300
STOC #
I have an 06 with 12000miles. Use a battery tender all winter. Went to start it and nothing, but head lights work, horn works, solonid clicks but motor won't turn. I think theres a problem with 06 batteries. I don't think I will buy another yusless, since I only got 2yrs. from it. I got an after market panisonic that has lasted at least 7 yrs. in a BMW.

Top Bottom