Battery Tender cable install

Scarman

Not all pain is gain
Bike
FJR1300
I finally figured out where I wanted the battery tender connection to go. I saw various installations using a standard 12 volt accessory connector but I just couldn't drill a hole that big in any of my plastic. So here's what I did.

Pull the left saddle bag off and then remove the left panel that covers the electrical. There is a small plastic box that protects some of the electronics from road grime. I cut a hole in that box the shape of the Battery Tender connector with a dremel.

I ran the Battery Tender leads from the battery terminals over to the other side and inserted the weather proof connector in to the hole and used JB Weld to secure it in place.

Once the JB Weld cured, I made sure it was sealed with silicon to keep the hole I made water tight. Now I have an easy to get at place to plug in the Battery Tender and it's hardly noticeable. Pics below.

Attachments

Nice job. A lot of us have added the Powerlet outlet to that exact location. The dual plugs can be used for heated gear as well as connecting a Battery Tender. A Powerlet socket adapter converts the Battery Tender SAE connecter to the BMW style connector.

A definite upside to your installation is cost. The Powerlet outlet and adapter will run around $100. :eek:

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis
Very creative. But I needed a place to also plug in my Gerbing gear along with my battery tender input cable. And the battery tender wiring and fuse is not robust enough to power heated clothing. So I went with the Powerlet Dual Rear outlets where everything plugs in cleanly and secure. Power out for the gear, and power in from the Tender while parked. Kinda pricey but a great solution.

Louie Louie

Scarman

I venture to ask w/ Caution...What is your screename "Scarman" stand for...You look like a ball player or Professional wrestler. One thing is for sure, you are one helluva guy and its great having you here! Apprecite you sharing your Autocomm and other DIY projects!

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
ligito said:
Another product, in the same vein, is the Powerlet Tank Bag Connector.

It could be mounted to a variety of surfaces.

Where does one get that. That will work great on my KLR.

OP
OP
Scarman

Scarman

Not all pain is gain
Bike
FJR1300
I saw the dual powerlet install with the bracket, but I really don't have a need for the 12vdc connector. No heated stuff for me, so... I decided to keep it very simple for now and I really like stuff that's very easy to undo so you would never know it was ever there.

Thanks for the welcome Louie. Sorry no baseball or wrestling for me. :D Just a retired systems engineer. My friends have tagged me with Scarman because I've been a bit rough on my body through the years, which has left me with more than my fair share of scars.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
California Sport Touring also has them available.

They would be great for the Battery Tender hook up and would work with their standard harness.

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a
Is the battery that hard to get to? I'm waiting to buy one soon and I thought the battery was located to the right rear of mc? Pull a cover and attach a battery tender? Not that easy?

Thanx - Dean

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
deanrd said:
Is the battery that hard to get to? I'm waiting to buy one soon and I thought the battery was located to the right rear of mc? Pull a cover and attach a battery tender? Not that easy?

Thanx - Dean
Dean

To get at the battery is as easy as falling off a log. Take the right panel off and there it is, no problems.

I think the depth of the thread is to where to run the cables or whatever to the battery tender.

Over here in the UK, just for a change, it is made easier as we have a battery charger called the 'Optimate'. You just fasten the 'Fly' leads to the battery and run the lead and plug under the seat or wherever.

When you park and leave the bike for a while, you just plug the Optimate in, which I think is the same as the 'Battery tender', so, the battery is easy to get to, it is just working out where you want the leads from hte bike to run to so they are easily reached.

Mick

Bike
05' ST1300A
I guess I just took the easy way out. I used the battery wires (with fuse) that came with the Gerbing's, and then ran them out about 2 inches in back of the "lift handle" hole on the left side, plenty of room without the lift handle getting in the way, and have had no problems. I then just added an end on the Battery Tender to fit the Gerbing wiring. Real easy and no drilling.
Magna

OP
OP
Scarman

Scarman

Not all pain is gain
Bike
FJR1300
Easy to get to the battery. Pull the saddle bag and then undo three allen screws to remove the side panel, but not something I want to do every night when I plug in. You could keep the connector under the seat, but after a while pulling the seat off to plug in the battery tender becomes a pain.

Bike
2003 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I used velcro on the back side of the side panel to hold the cable when not in use. Then when I needed to make a connection I just pulled it from the velcro and then made the connection. It worked very well, but I later upgraded to the dual Powerlet option. I use the dual Powerlet for heated vests, battery tender & air compressor to fill the tires after a flat or to top them up. I also use the Powermate for tank bag power (cell phone charger, camcorder power, lipstick camera power etc). When I got MCCruise I had to part with the dual Powerlet plug and I was very sad. I had a friend make me some custom brackets so I could still have 2 Powerlet plugs in the pre-load area. One in the front and one at the back using the bolts from the side panel to hold the brackets.

Tim :03biker:

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
On my other bikes I just kept it tucked in under the front of the seat and pulled it out when needed (the charger cable, guys).:D

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
Tim4255 said:
I used velcro on the back side of the side panel to hold the cable when not in use. Then when I needed to make a connection I just pulled it from the velcro and then made the connection. It worked very well, but I later upgraded to the dual Powerlet option. I use the dual Powerlet for heated vests, battery tender & air compressor to fill the tires after a flat or to top them up. I also use the Powermate for tank bag power (cell phone charger, camcorder power, lipstick camera power etc). When I got MCCruise I had to part with the dual Powerlet plug and I was very sad. I had a friend make me some custom brackets so I could still have 2 Powerlet plugs in the pre-load area. One in the front and one at the back using the bolts from the side panel to hold the brackets.

Tim :03biker:
Photos please? :D
Same thing happened to me Tim. I'll eventually get some heated vests, so I'll need the extra powerpoints.

Muskoka
:03biker: :03biker: :03biker:

Top Bottom