Battery Tender power cord repair

My 10 year old Battery Tender works perfectly, but! Just noticed the 12V out wire right at the Battery Tender has both wires have the insulation broken and I can now see the copper wire of both wires. Never thought I bent the wire that much when using, but I guess I must have.

Now the question, has anyone taken a battery tender apart to repair the power cord out 12V? My unit has rivets, which will have to be drilled out to open up the Battery Tender.

Thanks

My tender+ looks like just the 2 rivets on either side of the top U pc (vented portion).
The screw other rivets plastic standoff tabs look to hold the guts in place.

Looks like a really easy fix. You'll just need to figure out a strain relief for the remaining portion of wire.
Just get the polarity right when you resolder the lead.
You prolly have room to just add some kind of bulkhead connector, banana posts etc. if you have them in your junk drawer.

Last edited:
Drill out the rivets. It's broken anyway, what could it hurt? :) Sounds like an easy fix. After you get it open, you can probably cut out the bad section and resolder the leads back to the circuit board.

John

As long as everything else works ok it should be an easy fix. As said drill the rivets and make sure you get all the metal bits cleaned out. Cut the wires on the inside and solder and shrink wrap new wire. You could probably get by with wire nuts just like in the wall switches and some tape for good measure.

You can buy strain reliefs to fit some zip (lamp) cord. Or you could put a rubber grommet in the hole and tie a knot or two in the leads before exiting the housing. That would actually put less strain on the wires than a dedicated strain relief. Probably a dozen inexpensive ways to fix it and spare the land fill a little.

Don't forget to check the AC line cord also. If the 12V wires are messed up, the AC side may not be far behind.

While both sets of wires aren't particularly difficult to repair, the AC wiring can be lethal if it's messed up - so be careful.

Back
Top Bottom