Battery Tender, which one?

The Battery Tender brand has about 10 different models alone and then there are other brands too!!
Which one do you use/recommend?

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
If I was to buy one, I’d get the Jr. model that charges both lead acid/AGM and Lithium batteries (I think it has a switch between the 2 types)- that way, if you have an AGM and want to get a lithium in the future, you’re all set.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The simple answer is if it is for a motorcycle battery, the Battery Tender Junior is all that you need, as long as it is rated for your battery type.

Which charger is decided largely by what type of battery and what size battery you will be charging with it.
The technology of the charger has to be capable of charging the chemical type of the battery that you intend to use it on.
Larger capacity batteries require higher output chargers. While the Junior works well on small batteries like those found in motorcycles, if it is used on a larger capacity car or truck battery it will take a very long time to charge it. You may never have the time to be able to leave it long enough for it to get the battery to the charge state where it performs all of the tests and analysis of the battery to determine its condition.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Had one BT junior years ago, and it crapped out after 2 years. It was in warranty, so wrote to Deltran to see how to return it. To get a “new” unit required a payment of $38.00 for “handling”, plus I had to send the old unit ( which I paid $43 for) back to them.
I declined that, and bought a Battery Minder, which has lasted ( knock on wood) for over 15 years now.
No more Deltran products for me.
The Battery Minder also claims to have a de-sulphating mode, which does seem to have some validity- I have been getting up to 7 years out of my El Cheapo batteries.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have a few Deltrans. One of them did not detect a battery's natural discharging and top it off. I replaced it with an Accumate. This smart battery maintainer came with a multi-page instruction manual, my Deltrans came with nothing more than the info on the unit and package.

I like being educated. If a vendor takes the trouble to print a booklet like Accumate, I'll read it and become a loyal customer - if the hardware performs. The Accumate has received good reviews and worked well for me, I have no complaints.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have an optimate and have no complaints about it. My only suggestion would be that if this will be for a lead acid battery, including AGM, get a maintainer that has a desulfate cycle as part of its programing. This technology has recovered a couple of batteries for me.

st1300doug

I'll be different: FOVAL. $20 bucks on Amazon......comes w/what you see here. I've used this for 10+ years. Two friends have used theirs for over 7+ years. Works on 'all' battery types. 1000 mA DeSulfate program too. Works for me.

Attachments

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use this one. I don't know if the same device is available in the USA - but its worth reading the brief blurb to see what a good quality one can do. Over winter, I plug it in and leave it. I sometimes go into the garage and see the red and amber lights instead of the green - which is alarming, but it is going through its periodic cycling program to keep the battery healthy.

[edit]

Yes, they have a very similar USA site - link - Mine is the Optimate 4 dual program ( standard and can-bus configurations).

Last edited:
Bike
2009 ST1300
I use the one that I think I got from Canadian Tire before I went to jail, [might have stole it] bought a few in the meantime; one good one, could draw from my coach batteries while charging, [at as high as 25 amps which worked great; that and a tiny 1200 watt generator was all I needed] more recent versions don't seem to do that, if they detect a draw, they reduce output current / voltage, apparently they're smarter than you [or I]. My go to is the little 2/6A twenty five year old charger, works for seven vehicles and three bikes and a boat, but I don't leave the cables connected when they sit; no continuity / no draw.
Gotta get that charger back. Hmmm...

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Thanks for all of the replies so far!
Please keep them coming as I have no experience with a battery maintainer.
Point is well taken- although any Battery Tender or similar product can charge a battery, they can take a long time to do so from a less charged state- if you ride regularly and want a ‘maintainer’ which it sounds like you do, any of the above will work.

Top Bottom